Author Topic: ammo obsolete?  (Read 6708 times)

Offline Kingfisher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
ammo obsolete?
« on: August 08, 2016, 09:07:04 PM »
Hey all..today I was told by the guy at the store who sells me my ammo that 7.62x39 is  on the way to being obsolete....any thoughts or comments on that..should I be worried....I don't have enuf money to by huge amounts at once...I'm in Ontario Canada. .

Also...I'm I use some corrosive ammo..what is the best way to clean my rifle?

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
Re: ammo obsolete?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 09:10:54 PM »
Hey all..today I was told by the guy at the store who sells me my ammo that 7.62x39 is  on the way to being obsolete....any thoughts or comments on that..should I be worried....I don't have enuf money to by huge amounts at once...I'm in Ontario Canada. .

I highly doubt the most commonly used ammo in the world is going anywhere anytime soon, lol. Sounds like he just wanted you to buy some :)

Offline rwhite135

• Liberty University Alum
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 10:05:39 PM »

In the immortal words of John Wayne as Ethan Edwards in The Searchers, "That'll be the day." 7.62x39mm isn't going anywhere anytime soon.  If it were AR-15 makers wouldn't be releasing more and more rifles and components for that caliber.

As for the best way to clean after using corrosive, a bottle of water down the barrel after shooting and a normal full cleaning when you get home. Some people say to use windex when done at the range but a bottle of water will work just as well.  You just want to rinse out the corrosive salts.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 10:10:37 PM »
I think the windex deal has more to do with the ammonia.   It breaks down carbon very very well. 

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 10:20:53 PM »
Not just down the barrel, thats just a single part of it.... Anywhere that fired gases come into contact with metal, the piston, gas tube, bolt face and carrier. All of that needs wiped off, any liquid will dissolve and remove salts, Windex just has ammonia that can over time remove small amounts of copper and carbon. Super hot water is preferred.. it removes the salts, heats the metal and flash dries, so rust won't form.

As for obsolete, whats this toads definition of obsolete... I mean to me 10.4x38Rmm Swiss rimfire is obsolete, I can't find it any where.. Sure in some way x39 is obsolete, why would both Russia and China moved on to other calibers, world wide demand for x39 makes it profitable and worthy of high production, you don't cut a cash cows throat. Quit making it, there is gonna be alot of pissed Arabs, African militarys, basically anyone military who ain't a NATO suck butt will be pissed.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Kingfisher

• Newber
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 10:32:22 PM »
Excellent...thanks guys just what I wanted to hear

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 11:48:00 AM »
Just my .02¢ worth (FWIW) but I also think the 7.62X39 is far from being made obsolete. If Hillary gets in the Oval Office she might make it very difficult to get but it's like cigarettes...too much money in the business for it to go away.

Like 'em or not tobacco, alcoholic beverages & ammunition puts billions of dollars into the economy, I believe there would be some danged serious problems if ammo were made to disappear!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 11:57:40 AM by Dannyboy53 »

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 12:55:05 PM »
Like 'em or not tobacco, alcoholic beverages & ammunition puts billions of dollars into the economy, I believe there would be some danged serious problems if ammo were made to disappear!

Interesting point. GDP is about 17 trillion and I've seen estimates of revenue from the domestic guns and ammo industry as high as 16 billion, so about 0.09% of the US GDP.  Not much from a piece of the pie perspective but the total revenue is still significant. For comparison, the video game industry is about 26 billion...ugh

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 01:23:47 PM »

Interesting point. GDP is about 17 trillion and I've seen estimates of revenue from the domestic guns and ammo industry as high as 16 billion, so about 0.09% of the US GDP.  Not much from a piece of the pie perspective but the total revenue is still significant. For comparison, the video game industry is about 26 billion...ugh

Revenue.... wait till ammo boxes have tax stamps like cigarettes... bat1 They tax all the good stuff.  In 2015 the firearms and ammunition industry was responsible for as much as $49.29 billion in total economic activity in the country. :)

Offline rwhite135

• Liberty University Alum
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 03:31:20 PM »

Revenue.... wait till ammo boxes have tax stamps like cigarettes... bat1 They tax all the good stuff.  In 2015 the firearms and ammunition industry was responsible for as much as $49.29 billion in total economic activity in the country. :)

Even that estimate is low because it only counts sales from FFL holders. Private sales aren't included in that figure.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2016, 04:39:58 PM »
I believe that 16 billion figure is for new manufacture. I saw as low as 6 billion. I also saw job estimates from 40,000 to 240,000, depends on who's spinning it and what they're counting as part of the industry.  GMs figure may include ancillary businesses involved in the industry.  Maybe even the convenience store that sells beer and Cheetos to the guys heading out to shine deer  doh1  rofl

Reselling firearms and ammo person to person is neither manufacture of goods nor provision of a service, it's merely money changing hands between individuals on old items, so it's a zero-sum game, no net GDP. 

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2016, 05:14:19 PM »
Damn...with the amount of money you guys are talking about, I could buy a 1949 Russian SKS and one each of the '53 & '54 Izhevsk carbines and have enough left over to get a few more cases of Red Army Standard!   dance2   ;)  Hell yeah!

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2016, 05:24:11 PM »
My figure is the industry as a whole.. Manufacture, Supplier and Induced costs.
P32 is correct.. The private sector is after the fact, those costs were already absorbed into the industry at some point, they are already counted, it could have been a day ago or 20, 30 or 40 yrs ago, they would fall under a seperate industry, and thats a best guesstimate, no federal/state/sales taxes are collected and 4473s don't exist, there is no method of tracking.