Author Topic: SKS FURNITURE COMPATABILITY  (Read 3859 times)

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
SKS FURNITURE COMPATABILITY
« on: February 07, 2017, 08:31:34 PM »
Hi Guys,

I picked up a barreled receiver. I have what's needed to make a functioning SKS out of my parts stash. Luckily I came across a matching TG, carrier, bolt, and mag, so I put the hacksaw and Dremal away, and won't need to go full Frankenstein. The only issue I'm up against, is that it's a pinned barrel, and all my wood furniture is from long lug guns. I have various synth Montys I can use to get it up and running, but I'm looking at it with an eye towards a salvage, versus Bubbage, until I locate the right wood. How does it work with stock fitting, will a long lung work with pinned, or is it the other way around?  PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: SKS FURNITURE COMPATABILITY
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 02:08:38 PM »
If my memory serves me, I tried it once, pinned barrels will sit down in a stock for a threaded barrel but, the recoil lug will sit in the wrong position. It fits, but it fits loosely. Threaded barrels won't fit into a pinned barrel stock without filing down quiet a bit of wood and fitting due to the barrel lug width, I cant say if the recoil lug is in the correct position, I didn't go that far and screw up a good stock to see.

Either way...to much like work to me, it's easier to be patient, and get the correct stock and slap it on. :)
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 02:13:08 PM »
Long lug should be more capable of fitting to a pinned barrel than the other way around. On the pinned barreled ones, the lug is further back....which would cause issues with teetering on the threaded barrel lug.

The real problem then is that nothing is keeping the stock from being able to be pulled nearly out of the stock retaining ferrule...because there is nothing to hold the stock forward.  I am encountering a similar problem currently with my 49 Tula, which I am nearly certain is slightly smaller than all other SKSs...by a small amount...I have yet to encounter a Russian stock that fits it...it is almost exactly like putting a pinned barrel Chinese into a long/short lugged threaded barrel stock.  Any attempt at filing behind the receiver to move the trigger group as far back as possible would also push the stock further into the retaining ferrule and seems like a good idea, but that pushes the lug even further away from doing...anything....

I have ruined stocks trying to make them fit what they shouldn't...there is always a trade off. It is best to hunt down the proper stock....and good luck finding a seller that has a clue. It is usually impossible to tell without very good pictures of the lug and cavity. These photos are boring to the uninformed SKS stock seller...and you almost never will find them in auctions or dealer sites. Unless the seller specifically says it is for a pinned barrel...it probably isn't in my experience.  Even stocks I have bought claiming to be for pinned barrels were actually for short lug threaded.

I did actually convert one like that to work well with my pinned DB, I would hook you up with it, but it is truly ugly as sin...and the fitting makes it useless on all of my other SKSs, even the other pinned ones...my DB seems to have come from the Dollar Menu at the SKS store...everything is smaller on it too...just enough that anything that fits it won't fit anything else ever again....such as this poor stock.

I would either be patient and wait for the (possibly) right stock to come along...or post a want ad on reputable boards where the members know the difference. Of the three stocks I have altered to 'fit' all of them are in a gun rack together...without guns in them. The brief period of time they resided on a gun didn't hold much value once the right thing came along.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 02:25:14 PM by Justin Hell »

Online echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 03:23:14 PM »
Thanks fellas. Like any new rifle, if I can assemble to function with what I have, that's the route I'll go. Choate Monty it is. I have found what the seller says will only fit a pinned barrel, but it has deep parallel scratches. Since the rifle won't match any way, I guess I could refinish it.

PAX
  You need a crew  

But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 08:51:22 PM »
Just for giggles... there is around 3 I saw on just fleabay.. so they aint overly difficult to find.  :)
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Online echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 01:22:13 AM »
I found one from a fellow Calgunner. Should be here by the time they all make bail from Kali jail.
  You need a crew