Author Topic: Loading stripper clips for SHTF with this ammo ?  (Read 5389 times)

Offline Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
Loading stripper clips for SHTF with this ammo ?
« on: August 30, 2016, 09:07:05 PM »
Hello. I never here of anybody loading X39 striper clips with soft point ammo. Is it because cost ? is there a downfall to running a bunch of led tip ammo in shtf ?  Less accutrate ? To heavy ? Whats your thoughts ? Would you use it for shtf ? Couldnt it do more damage then FMJ ?

SG ammo has Brown Bear 125 gr sp.  I was thinking of getting me some of that.. 

http://www.sgammo.com/product/brown-bear/500-round-case-762x39-brown-bear-125-grain-soft-point-ammo-poly-coated-case

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
Re: Loading stripper clips for SHTF with this ammo ?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 09:26:11 PM »
There's been videos online testing FMJ, HP, and soft tip 7.62x39 ammo in ballistic gel, and it definitely doesn't work like you'd think. Actually, it didn't do anything more than HP, which ironically also didn't do much more than FMJ. None of them had any expansion.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 09:37:43 PM »
DC other than poor expansion if any at all (my experience) their isn't a problem with loading your stripper clips with it. But as Power Surge said, don't expect much out of them.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 10:42:44 AM by Dannyboy53 »

Offline Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 09:57:15 PM »
Ok I see, Why spend more for no reason.. I don't know about other states but if we here in Ca,want to hunt with x39 we must use the SP.. I have about 100 rounds of it and it will probably stay that way..  Thanks PS and Big D  thumb1

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 10:09:54 PM »
Here's a video on the silver bear. I'm guessing, the different grades all have the same bullets. Single shot in this video and the jacket separated  ::)

...and Golden Bear from The Ammo Channel, which I really like.  Three shots total and the soft point just flattened without expanding (about 5:00 into the video). I guess the jacket is too strong. If it's copper washed steel jacket, would say that explains it. Need softer true copper alloy jacket and maybe some weakening grooves to get the lead core to expand and open up the jacket

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 10:15:35 PM »
Ok... think for a second.... I mean 30-30 Win soft point expands fine on a deer, I've dug several plumped up expanded 'ol Win Powerpoints out some whitetail azz, it's ballisticlly pretty close to a x39, bullet weight aside, but yet a x39 SP or HP won't expand in jelly.

A .30-30 Win PowerPoint uses a soft copper jacket and soft lead, now whats the composition of that x39 jacket and or lead...copper coated/washed steel, some kind of crappy hardened copper alloy, hardened copper won't flex like soft copper, Those SP and HP bullets are FMJ with it's tip chopped off exposing some kind of hard lead alloy, and being called a soft point/hollow point to get around the FMJ hunting regs? Also, is the Commie bullet jacket designed to support expansion, like modern American hunting bullets with notched, partitioned and contoured jackets.

Stripper clips don't know or care what the bullet is, long as it slides down into the mag when pressed and feeds when the action cycles, use it.

I'm sure in a SHTF situation, kinda like a deer, whatever ain't gonna know the difference if it were a FMJ, SP or HP coming out the end of the barrel, whatever knows it's gonna hurt and make a hole. The big question to ask... is will your weapon of choice feed whatever you feed it without failure, feed flawless, feed consistent with no jams, F-T-F or F-T-E, that is something to find out well before the turds are a flying thumb1

Just my .00000002 cents worth.. :)
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 10:37:24 PM »
The big question to ask... is will your weapon of choice feed whatever you feed it without failure, feed flawless, feed consistent with no jams, F-T-F or F-T-E, that is something to find out well before the turds are a flying thumb1

+1

"turds are a flying"   chuckles1 

How about the dreaded 4F situation; "fan-flinging fecal fragments"  crapfan

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 10:51:23 PM »
The big question to ask... is will your weapon of choice feed whatever you feed it without failure, feed flawless, feed consistent with no jams, F-T-F or F-T-E, that is something to find out well before the turds are a flying thumb1

+1

"turds are a flying"   chuckles1 

How about the dreaded 4F situation; "fan-flinging fecal fragments"  crapfan

Yeah... "turds are a flying".....thats the precursor to hitting the fan.......I mean, they gotta fly before they hit the fan, if they are flying, it's time to locked and loaded bat1

The F4 situation is just after contact with said fan, really way to late to find your rifle won't feed....then your at the risk and mercy of the blade busting boom booms... rofl2 rofl2 rofl2 rofl2
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 01:44:23 AM »
This is the Uly 8M3 "Effect" HP that does pretty good in the gel tests. Getting harder to find now, so I wouldn't go out and kill trees with it.

firstchoice