Author Topic: North Korean SKS with a Refurb Stock?  (Read 6818 times)

Offline martin08

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
North Korean SKS with a Refurb Stock?
« on: November 11, 2016, 01:56:17 PM »
Just picked up a North Korean which I believe will be new to the database.

Nothing spectacular.  It's in fair condition, with laminate stock, no gas cut-off valve, and plenty of pitting.  The bolt carrier and bayonet have scratching marks from what appears to be aggressive cleaning.

But, I'll take it, it's still danged rare, and I might even shoot it! 

What's most intriguing to me is the stock.  I'm not sure it is original to the gun, and may have been added during a refurb process.  It has surely received a second coat of heavy red shellac, and the stock numbers are stamped through both the original and second layer of finish.  The additional shellac was also applied while the gun was assembled, as there are spots of finish on the metal.

Now, was the sloppy shellac applied in North Korea, or in the Vietnam theater?  Tough to tell for sure, but I'll guess that it was done before it was shipped.  North Korean stocks exhibit unique stock cartouches which appear to have been pressed into the shellac while it was still curing.   Most of these cartouches which I have observed  can be found on the left buttstock (near sling swivel/serial) and wrist areas.

This new specimen has two (and possibly three or more) cartouche roundels which are pressed into the shellac.  One on the right buttstock, and the other is forward of the magazine well.  The one on the underside of the stock has been recovered with shellac, and the one on the right buttstock appears to have been done in the new shellac, before being worn by handling and/or chipped away.   There are also marks behind the trigger guard, but I can't be sure that they are intentional cartouches or not.

So, why do I think it is a North Korean Refurb, and possibly a replacement stock?  First, of the hundreds of Chinese examples from Vietnam, I don't recall seeing any of them covered in a second layer of red shellac.  Next, the stock numbers are sloppily applied through both layers of shellac, and the stock doesn't show any signs of orderly and original factory numbering - not sure the North Vietnamese cared about numbering to match.  And last, the stock doesn't show the typical pattern of cartouches in the shellac.

I may be all wet with my refurb theory.  But take a look at the pics, and judge for yourself.

Enjoy, and thanks for looking.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 02:42:42 PM by martin08 »

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: North Korean SKS with a Refurb Stock?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 02:46:56 PM »
Does kinda look like a second coat of shellac.   Hard to say, but this one has some deep grind marks and rough spriral barrel milling.  Neat gun.  thumb1

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 03:06:21 PM »
Sounds plausible, but I don't know.  It's interesting how all of the characters and numbers seem to be stamped individually on all of the serial numbers, or they used the most sloppy and crooked roll stamp in existence  rofl

Congratulations  thumb1

If you ever need to make some room on your gun racks I'll be happy to take one of your NKs off your hands  ;)

Offline martin08

• Marksman
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 03:47:44 PM »
No more room in the gun racks.  I have to wear shoes at all times, so I can walk over all the guns piling up on the floors of the house.

But still no extra North Koreans.    :)

It is assuredly a second coat of shellac.  I pictured a few spots where old chips (and cartouche) were covered over, but there are many more spots which show the second layer.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 04:59:52 PM »
No rounded finger grooves and over hanging buttplate.    :)

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 08:49:12 PM »
Very nice one Mr. 08!  thumb1

This one has a p'iup suffix, close to this one: http://s781.photobucket.com/user/sks-files/slideshow/NK/0722

I have that one incorrectly labeled with a mium suffix on the list. I'll fix that and record this one properly when I get a chance.

Offline martin08

• Marksman
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 11:28:44 AM »
Been studying this one a little closer.  I'll have to determine that it is the original stock, refinished, and the numbers stamped over in a larger font. 

Here's a larger pic of the stock serial.  The original 2, 9, and 7 in small font are still visible under the larger numbers.  Can't quite make out a small 4, though.  Perhaps it was stamped lightly?

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 11:11:35 AM »
That cleaning kit looks interesting, the tube looks like a black tampon applicator. :)

Are there other SKS/AK kits like that or is it unique to the NK?  Is there any reason for it to appear to be designed to be punched through, or just cheaper to manufacture?

Offline LKermit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2017, 09:23:09 AM »
I know he thread isold, bt this little feller is on GB right now.  Is it by chance in the data base?

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/725112091

KTF

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2017, 10:36:10 AM »
I know he thread isold, bt this little feller is on GB right now.  Is it by chance in the data base?

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/725112091

KTF

Yup,  You just need more posts to get into all the serial data boards!   wink1

RM also posted it in the auctions section of the board.  http://sks-files.com/index.php?topic=3795.msg42470#new