Author Topic: Another Stock to Help Me Identify  (Read 3808 times)

Offline LKermit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
Another Stock to Help Me Identify
« on: December 18, 2017, 07:53:23 AM »
Mornin' fellers and gals!

I should be able to find this on my own but alas, here I am, hat in hand again!

This is an EBay buy from a couple of months ago.  Couldn't find verification on the weebly site. 

There is no serial, it has the mount notch as shown, and an obvious factory patch of the spiker bayo slot.  There is no other machining or metalwork, and all milling looks factory normal.  Anybody need this?

Looks like it could be from a Navy Arms Cowboy Companion, but cannot verify the bayo patch.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 08:34:53 AM by LKermit »

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: Another Stock to Help Me Identify
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 11:16:35 AM »
I think Cowboy Companion too LK.  See carbines example: http://sks-files.com/index.php?topic=219.0  Filled in bayo groove, rear rail cut, no S/N...

Offline LKermit

• Cadet
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 11:37:27 AM »
I think Cowboy Companion too LK.  See carbines example: http://sks-files.com/index.php?topic=219.0  Filled in bayo groove, rear rail cut, no S/N...

This may help decide:

Looks like it was fitted with a flush 5-round magazine, no?

KTF

Offline LKermit

• Cadet
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 12:16:25 PM »

This may help decide:

Hold on a sec......Polytech Hunter has flush five round.

KTF

Offline LKermit

• Cadet
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 12:19:42 PM »

This may help decide:

Hold on a sec......Polytech Hunter has flush five round.  No sign of metal well liner, don't look like there is room, either.

KTF

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 05:09:58 PM »
Need a pic of the whole stock, but the magwel looks normal to me.  Not sure what would be dif on a 5 rounder. 

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline LKermit

• Cadet
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 06:12:34 PM »
Need a pic of the whole stock, but the magwel looks normal to me.  Not sure what would be dif on a 5 rounder.

Maybe its only my new glasses.  They are showing me things I've never noticed before.

I have not noticed the finer details on these stocks very well.  Sorry if I seem like a brand new puppy!

KTF

Offline Power Surge

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 06:13:23 PM »
As RM suggested, it is most likely a later Cowboy Companion stock. It could also be a stock off a Keng's sold rifle as well, as they also filled in the bayo groove on some models and also had a rear mount scope.

Also keep in mind, that Navy Arms would make any configuration of SKS that was requested, so it could really be off anything.

As for the magazine well, I agree with LC that it doesn't look like anything special. Just a rougher finished version. Both the Polytech Hunter 5 round mag and the aftermarket flat Chinese 5 round mag, did not require any modification to the stock.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 08:50:28 PM »
Looks like a notch on the left side for a scope rail?  Poly Hunter didn't have that....

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Power Surge

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2017, 09:09:47 PM »
Looks like a notch on the left side for a scope rail?  Poly Hunter didn't have that....

It's definitely not a Poly Hunter stock. Completely different shape, and wood. And for some reason, the Poly Hunter had the ENTIRE right side of the stock cut down about 1/2".

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2017, 09:24:36 PM »
Right right....   Walnut I think.  Shaped differently also.  No bayo groove filled because it never had one to begin with.