Author Topic: Mulling selling my '60 Romy SKS and my '54 Romy Mosin-Nagant  (Read 2419 times)

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
Mulling selling my '60 Romy SKS and my '54 Romy Mosin-Nagant
« on: October 30, 2022, 01:42:47 AM »
My youngest daughter is getting married. Anybody that's done this before knows what I mean when you see the receipts piling up and many more to come.  :o   I always figured I could use some of my firearms for these types of unplanned expenses, (like I never knew my daughter would some day marry!   ::) ), but it still pains me to do it.  cry2

What I'd like to do is get an idea from you guys about prices. I haven't kept up on Romy prices in a while, especially on the Mosin-Nagant.

1960 Romy SKS:

Romy SN is RA 1898-1960.   
  Bolt & Bolt Carrier #'s are: RB 4374
  Receiver Cover # is: RB 4438
  Stock # is: GM 4476

Receiver, Trigger Group, and Magazine match. Bolt, Bolt Carrier, Receiver Cover, and Stock 
  DON'T match.

The sight leaf, gas tube, and gas piston all seem to match the patina, and wood matches the   
  stock, but there are no electric-penciled SN's on any of those. Not sure if that's normal for
  Romy's? 

I have the correct sling for the Romy, as shown. The cleaning kit, and cleaning rod are
  included.

This is a CAI import, stamped on the right side of the front end of the barrel between the gas block and the FSB.                                                     

1954 Romy M44 Mosin-Nagant:

(I've never taken any pics of the Mosin-Nagant so I snapped a few with my cell phone a minute ago. Please bear with me on the pics. I'm just trying to give an idea on condition for price suggestions.)

This is in very nice condition, all matching #'s, and I believe I have the correct Romy brown
  leather dog-collar sling for it. One question I have is on the Bolt. The stamped SN matches
  everything but it also has 02 stamped on the bolt and bolt head in several places. Is it true 
  that these are Hungarian parts?

This is a CAI ST ALB, VT import. (Very tiny stamp on the front/left end of the barrel. I
  had to use my jewelers loop to read it.)

Please give me opinions/suggestions. What you think I can get for it, high/low, etc. I may need to take better or more pics to help you guys decide but I will be anyway before posting them up for sale. Thanks!

firstchoice

« Last Edit: October 30, 2022, 02:03:01 AM by firstchoice »

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
Re: Mulling selling my '60 Romy SKS and my '54 Romy Mosin-Nagant
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2022, 01:08:53 PM »
fc,
I too have a '60's Romy mixer and wouldn't want to take less than $650, which is what I have mine listed for. It's the last year I believe, and they just aren't around much. The M44 is Hungarian but it's not WWII, which makes a difference to some, $450 ish??? Good luck and congratulations to you daughter. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2022, 03:34:42 PM »
Thanks PAX!

fc,
I too have a '60's Romy mixer and wouldn't want to take less than $650, which is what I have mine listed for. It's the last year I believe, and they just aren't around much. The M44 is Hungarian but it's not WWII, which makes a difference to some, $450 ish??? Good luck and congratulations to you daughter. PAX

The M44 is definitely Romanian. It's got the Romanian vertical arrow-within-the-triangle arsenal stamp on it in at least three places, along with the ROMANIA on the import stamp. It's only the Bolt and Bolt Head that has the 02 stamp on them. I'd heard that some Romy's may have Hungarian parts on them and the 02 is the numerical arsenal designation for Hungary. Just guessing on this one.  dntknw1

This gives me something to start with, though. Thanks PAX!

firstchoice

Offline Cz315

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Marksman
  • The only way to avoid gun N is to avoid gun N-1
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2022, 03:36:34 PM »
I think 450 for the M44 is conservative. You can probably get more for it

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2022, 04:17:04 PM »
I think 450 for the M44 is conservative. You can probably get more for it

It's hard to believe the prices for the Mosin-Nagant's nowadays! I kept hearing wild prices through the past couple years but always thought they were a fluke and wouldn't stay there that long. Guess I was wrong! Thanks for your input, Cz315!

Is there a site that centers on the Mosin-Nagant? I know we have a few that collect the MN, but many are away from the board right now, I guess. Kinda quiet for a while now.... dntknw1

firstchoice

Offline Cz315

• Marksman
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2022, 05:59:00 PM »
If you don’t want to deal with the hassle on Gunbroker (which just raised listing fees), Gunboards is where I’d advertise it. enough folks are interested in MN there. Shipping is a killer these days, though.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2022, 07:39:56 PM »
Definitely a Romanian m44. And a nice one at that.  I'm way outta touch with prices on Mosins anymore, but if the price were right... think1

FC
Here is one I frequent when I need to get my Mosin on.. https://russian-mosin-nagant-forum.com/
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Cz315

• Marksman
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2022, 08:34:11 PM »
DO IT! DO IT! Don't listen to those who says self-enabling gives you warts, GM. It does not! Just gets you broke  rofl

FC,

Your Romy M44 is in top shape and that's why I think you can get a bit more than usual for it. Very nice one. I have a Romy in my collection, otherwise I would have seriously considered it. I paid $425 shipped for it (a year or two ago), but yours is nicer and I got a good deal haggling down from $475 opening price. You just need to find the right collector who needs it

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2022, 09:58:21 AM »
GM going to buy a new boat paddle!?   :o

OH YEAH HE IS!!!  :P

(nice set FC.  No idea what they are worth, but you don't see tons of Romanian M56s out there.  $650 is more than reasonable these days.)  thumb1

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2022, 10:54:13 AM »
GM going to buy a new boat paddle!?   :o

OH YEAH HE IS!!!  :P

(nice set FC.  No idea what they are worth, but you don't see tons of Romanian M56s out there.  $650 is more than reasonable these days.)  thumb1

Don't judge short stuff..   chuckles1  I'm old and triffling enough to gift you a boat paddle out of the goodness of my tiny little black heart, it will show up on your doorstep with a copy of my 03 license..   :o   then you'll be doing a house cleansing to ward off the evil boat paddle spirits.  rofl2
« Last Edit: October 31, 2022, 01:12:44 PM by Greasemonkey »

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2022, 05:45:42 PM »
This is an interesting read. I found it through the link to The Russian Mosin Nagant Forum that GM had posted.

September 7, 2022
Mosin Nagant Price Trends

https://www.rockislandauction.com/riac-blog/mosin-nagant-price-value-trends?utm_source=Rock+Island+Auction+News&utm_campaign=2a8486fc7f-2022_9_9_xxx&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_1f4b8db853-2a8486fc7f-232729505

While Rock Island Auctions is certainly not known for their bargain prices, it's interesting that they're SELLING the Mosin Nagants at those prices. I really had no idea.

firstchoice

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2022, 10:46:16 AM »
Mad times.  I guess it was only a matter of time before the Mosin Nagant caught up (somewhat) to the WWII Mausers and M1901's / M1917's. 

Still, those prices! :o

Offline High Noon

• Watching the clock.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2022, 01:53:54 PM »
Nice rifles sir!  I'm sure you can find a buyer for both. 

I had thought about adding a Mosin, Enfield or Mauser variant to my meager collection.   :-\  However prices are up so much on all of them, I just keep waiting.  Plus that means a new ammo caliber too... ::)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2022, 10:45:44 AM »

I had thought about adding a Mosin, Enfield or Mauser variant to my meager collection.   :-\  However prices are up so much on all of them, I just keep waiting.  Plus that means a new ammo caliber too... ::)

Oh, I'm sure something will happen, and those two beauties end up in loving hands.  :) thumb1  Calibers...I'm beyond caring about a new caliber.. there is 33+-1.. different calibers I have.  :-[ rofl rofl2 chuckles1

Offline High Noon

• Watching the clock.
  • Marksman
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2022, 12:22:32 PM »

Oh, I'm sure something will happen, and those two beauties end up in loving hands.  :) thumb1  Calibers...I'm beyond caring about a new caliber.. there is 33+-1.. different calibers I have.  :-[ rofl rofl2 chuckles1

Wow...33!?!?!?!? 

I'd get lost in keeping them organized and knowing what I needed to buy and didn't.  Have to have a spreadsheet!!

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2022, 06:28:37 PM »
Laugh, ask GM how much fun it was to move his meager ammo stash from one place to another when he moved... rofl rofl

Loving hands! Pfft, dang it Carl the last thing you "need" is another Mosin Nagant *or* SKS!

Offline High Noon

• Watching the clock.
  • Marksman
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2022, 06:38:59 PM »
Laugh, ask GM how much fun it was to move his meager ammo stash from one place to another when he moved... rofl rofl

Loving hands! Pfft, dang it Carl the last thing you "need" is another Mosin Nagant *or* SKS!

Okay.......   :)

Hey GM, how hard was it moving all of those 32 or 33 or 34 different calibers?  :o

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2022, 11:46:48 PM »
 :P

I can honestly say.. the ammo outweighed 3 big safes by a large margin.

The question is not whether I need it...  The point is simply......   We wants it!!!  It's bad, times is tight... Hi! I'm GM... it's been 1 year 4 months 6 days and 14 hours since my last gun purchase.  Confession cleanses the soul..  thumb1 rofl2 chuckles1

Besides.. I'm gonna try to deflect the heat off me.. hey P32... your as guilty as I am.  :P  rofl2 chuckles1

Offline High Noon

• Watching the clock.
  • Marksman
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2022, 08:06:16 AM »
:P

I can honestly say.. the ammo outweighed 3 big safes by a large margin.

The question is not whether I need it...  The point is simply......   We wants it!!!  It's bad, times is tight... Hi! I'm GM... it's been 1 year 4 months 6 days and 14 hours since my last gun purchase.  Confession cleanses the soul..  thumb1 rofl2 chuckles1

Besides.. I'm gonna try to deflect the heat off me.. hey P32... your as guilty as I am.  :P  rofl2 chuckles1

Reading about your battles with addiction..."collecting", makes me feel better about myself....lol.  chuckles1

By the way, just curious......  When was the last time you - SOLD - something?  wink1 Oh wait - I'm sorry.   wink1

Probably used a "trigger" word when I asked you that dumb question.  Nevermind.   :)) :)) :))

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2022, 10:25:27 AM »
Reading about your battles with addiction..."collecting", makes me feel better about myself....lol.  chuckles1

By the way, just curious......  When was the last time you - SOLD - something?  wink1 Oh wait - I'm sorry.   wink1

Probably used a "trigger" word when I asked you that dumb question.  Nevermind.   :)) :)) :))

I can actually answer that.. I'm far enough in the stages.. I'm in the maintenance stage.... maintaining my sobriety. :) I did sell a bubba Type 38 Arisaka about 3 or 4 months ago. I had bought it way back when, It had a few parts my other Type 38 was missing/needing.. front sight, a good mag spring and a few other little bits.