Author Topic: Opinions on Polish Radom P64 Makarov Pistol?  (Read 10050 times)

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Opinions on Polish Radom P64 Makarov Pistol?
« on: October 03, 2014, 07:33:27 PM »
I wasn't aggressive enough when the $249 CZ82s were in stock at Century, I waited a few weeks to see how the $$ situation would be and wound up missing the boat on them (hoping another batch comes in but I'm not holding my breath). 

What do you guys think about a P64?  Looks pretty small.  Not so fussy about the 6 round capacity.  think1

http://www.classicfirearms.com/polish-radom-p-64-pistols-g

Offline Lmbass14

• Enjoying another trip around the sun.
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
  • Just livin' the dream.
Re: Opinions on Polish Radom P64 Makarov Pistol?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 07:40:14 PM »
Joe, wouldn't 9x18 ammo be hard to find?  Cheap enough firearm though.
In war, there are no winners or losers.  Just survivors. DR

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 07:47:27 PM »
Thats what I was wondering....

Heck, since you already obtained permission to buy a gun...  get an sks.   8)

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Adam7

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 08:39:10 PM »
I carry a cz82 everyday.  Wonderful pistol and shoots like a dream.  I had a p64, I sold a p64.  Thing is waaay too small to shoot comfortably.  It hurt my hands to shoot and just want pleasant.  I really liked it's compact size though.  It also has horrible, and I mean horrible, sights.  Stay away.  Buy a cz82, you won't regret it.

Ammo isn't hard to find online... In fact I just posted in the great deals forum where to get it super cheap(quality ammo too).

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 09:09:39 PM »
I'm not so worried about 9x18 Bernie, like Adam says its readily available many places online.  Getting into that caliber would really be a good impetus to force me into reloading too!

I actually don't have permission, but we'll pretend that I do!!  I think a VZ2008 is going to be my next long gun purchase though. I've been looking at the furniture sets for them...I like them in wood!  thumb1

Based in what you guys say and what I've read, I think holding out for a decent CZ82 is the way to go.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 10:39:20 PM »
I keep a P64 in the apartment I rent, a Glock 31 in the car. I do like the P64, small, tough as nails.  A recoil recalibration package from Wolff springs made a difference in it biting recoil, also with the trigger. I don't really have issues shooting it, even though I got paws for hands, and it is accurate for a smaller pistol.  It has fed every ammo I've thrown through it as well.

I haven't seen  Cz82 for sale in a long time so I wonder if the ship did sail. Its an excellent pistol as well.  Another nice 9x18 is the Polish P83 Waned. Almost like a true Makarov
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 07:46:25 AM »
My ffl has like, 30 boxes of WWB 9x18 at all times.

Offline routeus1

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 07:56:09 AM »
The CZ vz.82, 9x18mm Makarov (military) & CZ 83 (commercial) 9x17mm (.380ACP) are to be highly recommended...
Now showing up at...

http://www.southernohiogun.com/handguns/surplus-handguns?limit=all

Also check the TT-33 and variants, another high recommend...

Offline jd?

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2014, 11:25:09 AM »
I've been a Makfan for quite a while now.  Mine is s Bulgy, (true Mak).  Ammo is no prob, but you will find a ton of guys who consider it useless as a self defense round.  I don't agree, and it is usually what I carry when I carry. 

I reload for it, and cast bullets for it.  (Makplinkers, I call them).  Maks are sweet, shoot great, reliable, and are just one of those guns that everyone oughta have.  jd
I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member.  Groucho Marx

Offline sheepdog

• BIG MONEY GRIFF
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
  • Khrushchev was right
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2014, 12:55:57 PM »
I carry a CZ82 most of the time.. Buffalo Bore makes a 95 gr. 9X18+P HP with 265 ft lbs. of energy at the muzzle that's in the magazine when I carry it. At the range it feeds fine though it does kick harder than the usual LVE I shoot. I wouldn't shoot more than a magazine full when plinking.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/530341/buffalo-bore-ammunition-9x18mm-9mm-makarov-95-grain-jacketed-hollow-point-box-of-20
LIVE FROM THE DOGHOUSE

Offline Adam7

• Global Moderator
  • Marksman
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2014, 01:06:57 PM »
I carry a CZ82 most of the time.. Buffalo Bore makes a 95 gr. 9X18+P HP with 265 ft lbs. of energy at the muzzle that's in the magazine when I carry it. At the range it feeds fine though it does kick harder than the usual LVE I shoot. I wouldn't shoot more than a magazine full when plinking.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/530341/buffalo-bore-ammunition-9x18mm-9mm-makarov-95-grain-jacketed-hollow-point-box-of-20

That looks like a Hornady xtp bullet that they load.  If you look at the ballistics of the best 9x18, they all use that round.  Plenty of penetration and expansion.  More then adequate for self defense.

Offline brentb636

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2014, 10:44:18 AM »
One the P64, I've had several and never had one that I could tune decently, so I sold them , one by one.  I much prefer the FEG SMC-918, with custom springs for a small Mak pistol.  The CZ-82 , of course, is the class act of the bunch, in my opinion.  I use the Underwood XTP +P SD ammo in the 9x18's.  Cheaper than the Buffalo Bore, by far, it chrono's over 1200 ft/sec from the CZ-82.  If I can't stop a threat with 12+1 rounds of that, I DESERVE to be "pushing up daisies".  :)

I like guns

Offline Carl in CT

• Right Wing Extremist
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
  • Violating safe spaces everywhere
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2015, 05:03:25 PM »
I have also looked at the P64 but decided against it for now. Getting a CW380 instead. I know, it's a different round in a modern commercial firearm rather than a cool milsurp. I felt that the CW380 was far more comfortable in my hand. Maybe I'll pick up a P64 another time. I can't get a CZ82 unless I can find 10rd mags for them cuz I live I live in a commie/nazi state.
It's sad that the motto of young Americans isn't "live free or die" or "I regret that I have but one life to give for my country" or even "ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country". Instead their motto is "pee yourself, shelter in place and cry for help". Pathetic.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2015, 06:50:12 PM »
The P64 is a fine pistol quality of construction-wise and is the smallest of the 9x18Mak pistols. It also has the most felt recoil, smallest mag capacity and stiffest trigger. Like the FEG PA-63 which is next in line for stiff action, the P64 needs to have WOLFF after market springs installed in order to tune and help reduce trigger pull and felt recoil. If a 9x18 chambered pistol is what you want a regular Makarov or CZ-82 would serve you better. If a small carry pistol for that price range is what you want then you may be served better with something on the line of a SCCY, Kel-Tec P-11/PF-9, Taurus PT-111 Millenium Pro Gen II, Ruger LC9, or the like which will put you into a 9mm and cheaper ammo..
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
  • Love your family and keep your powder dry.
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2015, 09:00:13 PM »
When I went looking at a Polish M 44 today they also had a P 64 1968 in decent shape. Felt a lil small to me but it was priced at $249 before haggling. I was interested enough to check it out, but don't know enough about 'em to walk otd with it.
Hippies are like stray cats...Feed 'em once and they never leave...then they stink up your couch.

Offline scarymike23

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Cadet
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2015, 09:55:46 PM »
I'm not so worried about 9x18 Bernie, like Adam says its readily available many places online.  Getting into that caliber would really be a good impetus to force me into reloading too!

I actually don't have permission, but we'll pretend that I do!!  I think a VZ2008 is going to be my next long gun purchase though. I've been looking at the furniture sets for them...I like them in wood!  thumb1

Based in what you guys say and what I've read, I think holding out for a decent CZ82 is the way to go.

Before you make up your mind, can I suggest an alternative that hasn't been discussed?

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2015, 03:27:08 PM »
Before you make up your mind, can I suggest an alternative that hasn't been discussed?
Mike, you're killin' me here!  Simply killin' me! pullhair1 chuckles1

Still haven't pulled the trigger on a handgun yet.  I keep hoping there's another shipment of CZ82s coming in, but I'm starting to lose hope!  I may have to simply widen my horizons and look at something like a new Glock.  (I think I just vomited in my mouth a little bit)  Maybe I'll have a talk with good ole' Blicero and he can school me in proper Luger holding you nose up in the air etiquette?

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2015, 09:04:20 PM »
Hungarian Femaru....  non nazi models are in 380acp and go for like $350

As far as I know, they are all Hungarian Military issue and were never imported aswell.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2015, 12:30:51 PM »
Another option to a P64, the P83 Wanad.  Much more refined than the P64, a little larger and easier on the hand, accurate and ok, it has a cool name, Wanad. :)  It's Poland’s version of the Makarov, and sports an 8rd mag like the Makarov, however, no parts are interchangeable. It's actually still in limited use in Poland as I understand as a military sidearm as well in a few police departments.
I got one way back when first imported, shown here with my P64 for size.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline jd?

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2015, 09:10:33 PM »
Hey, a guy here, (I guess he's one of my gun buddies) told me today that he's got a Mak to sell, (think it's a circle 10 Bulgarian).  Told me to tell anyone 3 hunnert bucks.  I got my Mak from him, and he's trustworthy.  If you're interested in talking/dickering with him, I could hook ya up.  jd
I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member.  Groucho Marx