Author Topic: Yugo M48 sighting suggestions please.  (Read 509 times)

Offline Weldrdave

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
Yugo M48 sighting suggestions please.
« on: April 16, 2023, 06:34:22 AM »
Hello all, Haven't been around for a bit, had some health issues but back in the saddle.  Long story short, I picked up a M48 Yugo in VERY nice condition,  a very low serial number 15xxx.  The bore is pristine and the gun doesn't look like it had 20 rounds shot through it, It even had some "white lithium" grease in places, and some faint cosmoline also.  I'm assuming from the armory.   My question here is please, I cleaned it up, patched the bore, Hoppes and oil then dry patch again. Took it to my range at 100 yards and a center mass shot was blasting the would be ear off the paper human figure target.  I was shooting about a foot high.  Now I know the rear sight leaf (starts) at 200 meters, I know I have to adjust the front site to get the shots on center but does anyone have a suggesting other than aiming at the "Balls" to hit the paper figure in center mass?   Anyone put a peep sight on these?  I'm sure I'll get the windage fixed up fairly easy, and I get the fact it's a war rifle, I'd just like to get a decent point of aim at 100 yards.   Thanks for any suggestions! 
Dave. 
USN/USCG (retired) Chief.
God created man; Sam Colt made them equal!

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: Yugo M48 sighting suggestions please.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2023, 12:02:55 AM »
Hi Dave,

Glad to have you back! (it's been a quiet early spring).  Hope things are going better and you're on the mend with everything. 
I just read a thread (yeah it's ARFcom  sick1, but there's also one from Graybeard Outdoors) where they state that M48s are zeroed at 300 meters. They suggest getting a replacement front sight leaf from Brownell's and then filing it down until your 100 yard shot is on target if 100 yard point of aim is what you're looking for. 

I've got an M24/47, and quite honestly, I can't hit the broad side of a barn with it.  I can get it consistently on paper eventually with heavy holdovers, but it's never been a tack driver in my hands for certain which I always assumed was operator error.  I never really gave much thought to where the factory zero really is on a Yugo Mauser, but it makes sense if one is consistently hitting high at 100 yards. thumb1

Someone more knowledgable will come along and set us right I suspect. :P

Offline Weldrdave

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2023, 07:22:23 AM »
Hi Dave,

Glad to have you back! (it's been a quiet early spring).  Hope things are going better and you're on the mend with everything. 
I just read a thread (yeah it's ARFcom  sick1, but there's also one from Graybeard Outdoors) where they state that M48s are zeroed at 300 meters. They suggest getting a replacement front sight leaf from Brownell's and then filing it down until your 100 yard shot is on target if 100 yard point of aim is what you're looking for. 

I've got an M24/47, and quite honestly, I can't hit the broad side of a barn with it.  I can get it consistently on paper eventually with heavy holdovers, but it's never been a tack driver in my hands for certain which I always assumed was operator error.  I never really gave much thought to where the factory zero really is on a Yugo Mauser, but it makes sense if one is consistently hitting high at 100 yards. thumb1

Someone more knowledgable will come along and set us right I suspect. :P
Thanks RM!  thumb1. I took it over to the range yesterday and a friend who had a Mauser front site adjustment tool, we got it (Dead) center and shooting 3" groups but All High!  Now, I guess this isn't so bad because as I was aiming center mass, I put 10 rounds square in the face area of the target!  I'm resting the front of the gun and floating the back with my support and it's hitting nice groups.  I believe I'll investigate the front thing, "Thanks" ,  And go from there.  I also scrubbed the $#!T out of the bore (again) of the corrosive,  I shot and some nice Hornady factory loads, it acted like 2 completely different guns!  8). I was quite happy.  I picked up this rifle for $525.00 and it was a situation where it fell in my lap and it was in such beautiful condition I just couldn't say no to it.   It was nice to be out of the house, I had a (BAD) situation and a couple hospital visits with Diverticulitis, It was very painful but things going forward! Thanks for the thought. Getting older isn't much fun any more...  chuckles1

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2023, 04:12:21 AM »
With a 200 meter lowest setting, shooting high is expected. The tall replacement front sight and filing down is one way to do it. I’ve seen others solder a piece of heavy gauge wire on top of the front sight. It could be restored to original by melting and wiping off the solder.

Offline Weldrdave

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2023, 06:33:46 AM »
With a 200 meter lowest setting, shooting high is expected. The tall replacement front sight and filing down is one way to do it. I’ve seen others solder a piece of heavy gauge wire on top of the front sight. It could be restored to original by melting and wiping off the solder.
A great Idea!  Thanks for the options.  thumb1