Author Topic: Finn M39  (Read 5357 times)

Offline Luke2236

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
Finn M39
« on: January 19, 2017, 09:50:31 AM »
My '42 Finnish VKT M39, post-war stock, with a 1915 Sestroryetsk arsenal receiver. 

Canadian...eh!

Online Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: Finn M39
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 02:03:58 PM »
Another favorite thumb1 great wood on that one. Have a few of them myself, a Sako straight stock and 2 VKTs.

The M39 and K31... 2 of the greats for accuracy, add in an M96 Swede and the trio is complete for accuracy. The M39 if you notice shares some traits with the K31, and both can be tweaked for accuracy by tightening or loosing the barrel bands. Finland and Switzerland were both very much into shooting competitions and individual marksmenship skills.

How common are either the K31 or M39 in Canada, I see tons of Russian and Chinese SKSs, SVTs, even a few what I think they call a Vz805, here its a Vz58 or 2008. Never really see a Canadian posting these two models.

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Luke2236

• Rifleman
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 02:18:35 PM »
Another favorite thumb1 great wood on that one. Have a few of them myself, a Sako straight stock and 2 VKTs.

The M39 and K31... 2 of the greats for accuracy, add in an M96 Swede and the trio is complete for accuracy. The M39 if you notice shares some traits with the K31, and both can be tweaked for accuracy by tightening or loosing the barrel bands. Finland and Switzerland were both very much into shooting competitions and individual marksmenship skills.

How common are either the K31 or M39 in Canada, I see tons of Russian and Chinese SKSs, SVTs, even a few what I think they call a Vz805, here its a Vz58 or 2008. Never really see a Canadian posting these two models.

An M96 Swede is on my radar  ;) .  I've only relatively recently been bitten by the milsurp bug myself, so I need to get one of a few different models before I have multiples of each LOL.  K31's are fairly common, M39's less so - but prices on both, along with most milsurps have started to climb rapidly last couple years. Either are still readily available though, IF you're willing to pay the price. East Euro/Russian imports have all but dried up,  so partly the reason for the increasing scarcity/price. SKS's and Mosin's are still very common and affordable, excepting rarer versions like the M39 of course.  Chinese weapons are still accessible to us though as new imports, so I'm sure we'll see more of those as time goes on, including the Type 81 which should be on our shores by March apparently.
Canadian...eh!

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 04:27:41 PM »
Nice post war refurbished VKT.  The M39 is my favorite Mosin (at least with iron sights).  I have a VKT, Sako and SkY (Sako). 

None of mine have a hang tag, which I think is a really interesting addition.

Ase = gun, or model in this context
7,62mm KIV 39 = 7.62mm kivääri (rifle) of 1939 = M39
No = numero = serial number
Kal. = kaliber = measured bore diameter 7.63mm = .3005”
Kartio = forcing cone (throat erosion) measurement. 0.04 means 7.66 or .3015”, very good.
Syöp. aste = syöpyminen aste: degree of corrosion (in the bore): 0-3 where 0 is the best, “4” would be a reject/rebarrel.
Valmistanut = manufactured by Ase V1. The barrel was made by VKT but they were assembled at AV1 = ase varikko 1 = arms depot 1
Korjannut = repaired at
Tarkastanut = inspected by
Pvm = date (of inspection) , so August 13, 1979 was the last inspection
Huomautukset kääntöpuolella = “notes on the back”

Offline Luke2236

• Rifleman
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 05:10:30 PM »
Nice post war refurbished VKT.  The M39 is my favorite Mosin (at least with iron sights).  I have a VKT, Sako and SkY (Sako). 

None of mine have a hang tag, which I think is a really interesting addition.

Ase = gun, or model in this context
7,62mm KIV 39 = 7.62mm kivääri (rifle) of 1939 = M39
No = numero = serial number
Kal. = kaliber = measured bore diameter 7.63mm = .3005”
Kartio = forcing cone (throat erosion) measurement. 0.04 means 7.66 or .3015”, very good.
Syöp. aste = syöpyminen aste: degree of corrosion (in the bore): 0-3 where 0 is the best, “4” would be a reject/rebarrel.
Valmistanut = manufactured by Ase V1. The barrel was made by VKT but they were assembled at AV1 = ase varikko 1 = arms depot 1
Korjannut = repaired at
Tarkastanut = inspected by
Pvm = date (of inspection) , so August 13, 1979 was the last inspection
Huomautukset kääntöpuolella = “notes on the back”

Yes the hang tag was a nice bonus, had some of it figured out, but not all - much appreciated!
Canadian...eh!

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 06:49:48 PM »
Yes the hang tag was a nice bonus, had some of it figured out, but not all - much appreciated!

thumb1

My favorite Swede is my Husqvarna M/38 but the M/96 is great too and of course it has a longer sight radius than the shorter M/38.

Online Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 06:57:46 PM »

thumb1

My favorite Swede is my Husqvarna M/38 but the M/96 is great too and of course it has a longer sight radius than the shorter M/38.
Im guilty.. Ive been holding out on you P32..  :) I got a 1923 M96 back about the beginning of Dec.. 

M/38 is not that short..... When you put it next to the M/94 carbine rofl
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline newchi

• Marksman
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 09:28:39 PM »
My '42 Finnish VKT M39, post-war stock, with a 1915 Sestroryetsk arsenal receiver. 

Ok for realsies, where the heck you ordering this stuff from?
Do you have a different internet to me? cry1

Offline Luke2236

• Rifleman
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 10:03:00 PM »

Ok for realsies, where the heck you ordering this stuff from?
Do you have a different internet to me? cry1

Another one from CGN EE :)
Canadian...eh!

Offline escobert

• Cadet
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 04:00:09 PM »
Very nice!

I need to find a Sako so I can have a pretty stock next to my beat up '42 VKT. VKT shoots like a beauty though.
"Stella quarta decima fulgeat. May the 14th star shine bright."

Article 16th. Right to bear arms; standing armies; military power subordinate to civil -  Vermont Constitution

That the people have a right to bear arms for the defence of themselves and the State - and as standing armies in time of peace are dangerous to liberty, they ought not to be kept up; and that the military should be kept under strict subordination to and governed by the civil power.