Author Topic: Finnish Triggers  (Read 852 times)

Offline 100Acre

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
Finnish Triggers
« on: September 03, 2020, 10:46:36 PM »
I collect mostly Finns or Finn captures.  I have something like 26 Mosins, Most of which are hex receivers and 3 SVT's. I've noticed that most and nearly all have exceptionally light triggers. At least compared to most Mosin Nagant rifles.
When the Finnish made or captured rifles:
1. Did they always lighten the triggers?
2. Is there a set poundage to which they were set?
3. Thanks.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Re: Finnish Triggers
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 10:51:05 PM »
I'm no expert on Mosins and would have to go back over to Gunboards to do some fact checking, but having said that, IIRC yes they did go through the rifles and tweak them before putting them back into service when possible and feasible. I do recall mention of trigger jobs done on them, but not the poundage. For some reason 3.5-4.5 sticks in my mind though. Too was the fact that they reduced the creep on the trigger.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2020, 11:44:40 PM »
There are several different Finnish designs on triggers. I have... let's say, quite a few, the M27 and M39 both could be found with Finn modified triggers. I do have some M91s and Finn captures that have the M27 or M39 designs. The Finn's were recycling everything, and modifying to suit their needs.  Typically there is no set spec on the triggers I've seen, but they are much finer and break much cleaner than the Russians.

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2020, 10:06:14 AM »
There are several different Finnish designs on triggers. I have... let's say, quite a few, the M27 and M39 both could be found with Finn modified triggers. I do have some M91s and Finn captures that have the M27 or M39 designs. The Finn's were recycling everything, and modifying to suit their needs.  Typically there is no set spec on the triggers I've seen, but they are much finer and break much cleaner than the Russians.

(i.e. you only need a small mallet to cycle the action, not the 5 pounder you need for most Russian M91s)

Sorry I couldn't resist.   :P

See 100acre, ~26 mosins means you made the mistake of buying that first one! 
The line I highlighted for GM speaks volumes about the problems associated with buying that first Mosin Nagant....  rofl

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2020, 11:14:09 AM »
 bat1 RM just get yourself some good Finnish goodness, no mallet needed, and there is no need to be this tall to ride sign. And don't judge, everyone has addictions.  I said I was an addict, I didn't say I had a problem, admission is part of the recovery program. thumb1 rofl2
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2020, 06:04:09 PM »
I think the Finnish Mosins are great, between the triggers and the shimming, they're great shooters. The M24s and M28s had the helical torsion springs (mousetrap springs), which mostly affects the feel of the first stage of the trigger pull and the positivity of the trigger reset. The trigger on my M28/76 is also sweet  8)

M24, Böhler Stahl barrel

The Mosin trigger is actually very simple and elegant in the minimalist sense. Some of the best triggers on my non-Finnish variants have been in really well worn examples of M44s and Type 53s, i.e., the triggers get better with age  :) Those have averaged in the 4.5 to 5# range with low standard of deviation, so very consistent feel.