Author Topic: Hello  (Read 4270 times)

Offline simpleman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Hello
« on: April 29, 2020, 01:18:01 AM »
Hello from Oklahoma, I was looking for info and found it here, thanks.  I'll hang out awhile if you don't mind.  I'm no expert so I won't bore you with my knowledge.  I may ask some questions.  I sit all day at a screen so my off time is usually NOT in this chair unless I get curious about something.  That said I do have what according to your chart is a 1978 (thanks again) /26\ Norinco Poly, 23114XXX K that I bought new back in the late 80's.  Over time I tried a folding stock, a klugey scope and mount that never held and detachable 30 rnd. mags that were wobbly and more trouble than they were worth, all were disappointing compared to the original configuration.  So I put all the original pieces back over three decades ago. The only concession I’ve made is a larger attached 20 rnd. box in place of the original 10 rnd. box.  Now about that K! 

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 04:27:39 AM »
Welcome from Arizona.
You found the right place to learn.

Pull up a chair and have some fun.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 05:00:27 AM »
Welcome from Washington  thumb1 Glad to have you here.

Regarding the letter suffix, the thread below has a lot of discussion of the issue. Personally, I think it was most likely added by the importer. Probably overkill in every case but the importer just making sure they didn’t have a duplicate serial number in their records.

https://sks-files.com/index.php?topic=3852.0

Offline astronut

• This user has decided to end his association with SKSFiles
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 07:14:52 AM »
Welcome to the forum simpleman!  Yes, you found the correct place to research and learn as much as you care to about the SKS!

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 08:08:44 AM »
Welcome from Kentucky, simpleman.  Sounds like you've got a good, solid rifle.  For the 20 rounder, did you use the ChiCom mag or a different version?  Cheers, Bruce.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 08:33:19 AM »
Greetings from New Mexico!  Glad you found us.  Please let us know if we can do anything for you. Welcome aboard.   thumb1

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2020, 08:54:35 AM »
hi Oklahoma and welcome. good to have you here.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline simpleman

• Newber
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2020, 10:58:43 AM »
Welcome from Kentucky, simpleman.  Sounds like you've got a good, solid rifle.  For the 20 rounder, did you use the ChiCom mag or a different version?  Cheers, Bruce.

Hi Bruce, the 20 rnd mag is stamped "made in china" in cursive on the bottom so likely a later commercial offering?  The original is stamped with part ser.# of course.  Did this type even come with anything other than 10 rnd. mags from the factory?

Offline simpleman

• Newber
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2020, 12:51:24 PM »
Welcome from Washington  thumb1 Glad to have you here.

Regarding the letter suffix, the thread below has a lot of discussion of the issue. Personally, I think it was most likely added by the importer. Probably overkill in every case but the importer just making sure they didn’t have a duplicate serial number in their records.

https://sks-files.com/index.php?topic=3852.0

Thanks, I had actually read that string already.  You guys are eat up with the details, I like it!  So that was just me being, well...me!  I will keep looking in on that one.

Offline Bubbazinetti

• MAGA Patriot
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2020, 03:00:45 PM »
Hello from NH.Interesting that you have a pre 1980 Norinco Polytech.Is it marked as such?
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

Offline simpleman

• Newber
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2020, 04:23:05 PM »
Hello from NH.Interesting that you have a pre 1980 Norinco Polytech.Is it marked as such?

From what I decipher here 1978 is correct, if not please let me know.

Offline simpleman

• Newber
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2020, 04:35:12 PM »

I resized this pic to post the whole rifle.  Is rifle correct or is it carbine?

interesting note, this rifle came with ammo belt that carries 200 rnds in clips with maint pouch for oil bottle etc. and 1100 rnds Chinese ammo.  I still have a can of 550 rnds unopened.  I quit using it because cleanup was too intense.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 04:39:35 PM by simpleman »

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2020, 04:41:01 PM »

From what I decipher here 1978 is correct, if not please let me know.

/26\ 23 million serial number, so it's a Jianshe Arsenal Type 56 made in 1978. The SKS has carbine in it's name (in Russian) but a carbine is also a rifle. Formally, the more specific term would be carbine. Your example is in the original 52cm (20.5") barrel length.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2020, 10:33:39 PM »
The rifle vs carbine terminology debate will rage until the end of time.  My favorite answer that I’ve ever seen has to be: “Simonov called it a carbine, so it’s a carbine!”

The “Poly” on the side of this one indicates or was imported by Poly USA out of Atlanta, GA.   See https://sks-files.com/index.php?topic=2111.0 for a bit of info on what that actually means.  (It was still exported by Norinco, so not really a ‘Polytech gun’ in a certain sense.  See https://sks-files.com/index.php?topic=2059.0 for a good primer on Norinco vs Polytech & a brief history of the split .)

thumb1

Offline newchi

• Marksman
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2020, 10:43:42 PM »
“Simonov called it a carbine, so it’s a carbine!”

But did he call it a Car-bean or car-byne? rofl

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2020, 10:48:08 PM »
“Simonov called it a carbine, so it’s a carbine!”

But did he call it a Car-bean or car-byne? rofl

He called it a карабин  :)

Offline Bubbazinetti

• MAGA Patriot
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2020, 11:20:47 PM »
So any Norinco marking on a /26\ will obviously represent the enterprise that later exported it. http://www.jianshetrade.com/wm/en/AboutUs.aspx?id=4

So it's likely a Poly#4 classification of a likely very late import batch I'm surmising?And not actually manufactured by Norinco despite what is stamped on the receiver because of the 1978 date code?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 11:32:03 PM by Bubbazinetti »
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2020, 02:01:27 AM »
Welcome from SW Missouri, simpleman! Hope you stick around for a long time. This is a process of learning that takes time and input from many members. It's always best to have as many examples of the SKS and the features data as possible.

Very nice example of the Chinese Type 56 Carbine you have there! I like the '78-'80 years of /26\ production of the Type 56 Carbine!

After firing the Chinese x39 rounds that you have, did you clean the gas tube, gas block, and gas piston thoroughly? That early Chinese ammo was pretty corrosive stuff. Many folks didn't know about it and put their carbines away after shooting. It can sure mess up a nice firearm!

firstchoice

Offline newchi

• Marksman
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2020, 08:44:16 PM »
Welcome, theres lots of info here, far too much to be healthy for your wallet tbh

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2020, 10:47:07 PM »
Greetings, I have your carbine's older sister, a 2309xxxxK as well.

Great SKS for sure....not to rib you or anything on your intro post....but I gotta....
Your bayonet is on upside down.
:)