Author Topic: 90 degrees of Bubba  (Read 27865 times)

Offline newchi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman
Re: 90 degrees of Bubba
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2017, 10:09:14 AM »
i saw two 1949 blade sks at the local sporting goods store last year, that has since closed  :(  Spike bayonets are on ebay, and occasionally at gun shows (i always forget which one is russian vs chinese)  But if you see a 1949 with a spike bayonet, its magically double in price.  And i just dont know enough to tell if it really had the spike or someone changed it.
Kinda like the fake mosin snipers up here, but those i have a fairly good handle on.
I will look in the hardware store today, they have a bunch of every-single-part-renumbered sks's that i never examine closely.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2017, 10:25:24 AM »
i saw two 1949 blade sks at the local sporting goods store last year, that has since closed  :(  Spike bayonets are on ebay, and occasionally at gun shows (i always forget which one is russian vs chinese)  But if you see a 1949 with a spike bayonet, its magically double in price.  And i just dont know enough to tell if it really had the spike or someone changed it.
Kinda like the fake mosin snipers up here, but those i have a fairly good handle on.
I will look in the hardware store today, they have a bunch of every-single-part-renumbered sks's that i never examine closely.

A Russian SKS spike and a Chinese spike are completely different.  Chinese bayonets are a dime a dozen....my wife came running in the room the other day and said 'Quick hand me a bayonet, my back itches!'  That is how common the Chinese bayonet is...at least at my house.

I did have the option of grabbing the M44 spike, but I opted for the Chinese....it was within arm's reach. :)

A complete 49 with a spike should bring more than double the price.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2017, 10:54:21 AM »
RM, please check pictures of (1) 1948 SKS s/n 2B51; (2) 1949 SKS s/n ЕУ41; (3) 1949 SKS s/n PO1657; (4) my 1949 SKS.

These 4 do not look like they have (or obvious signs of) the rivet, or outside part of the rivet has been modified to be flushing with the magazine surface.

(5) 1949 SKS s/n ЛМ1041 (possibly a 1950 refurb with a 1949 receiver cover); (6) 1950 SKS s/n ФВ2737; (7) 1951 SKS s/n РГ3741. These three have the rivet.

And the samples in my own collection and I have seen online with manufacture year in and after 1952 have the rivet.

Considering the early 50 is Ey1336 (my cover is not scrubbed and restamped) I am very interested in seeing this gun!  Perhaps Ey is the crossover point? If that is the case, then all 49s should not have the rivet/stud...but not all would have the deep trigger group retaining spring well...thing/area.  The plot thickens...these two guns were meant to hump!

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2017, 01:01:39 PM »

that could be the reason why you think Russian SKS spike bayonet is easy to find.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2017, 02:50:48 PM »

It is interesting learning more about the history of the short pants Mosin. What I get from that last quote is that China indeed got equipment from Russia....but not necessarily for the other countries?  I can just imagine the guys showing up for work, arriving at their station only to see the equipment missing.  Maybe the golden and polished black ones were just shakedown errors from training disasters.  chuckles1

Maybe the fellow who tried these experiments or who lead the failed training disasters on the bayonets was offered a alternative lifestyle in the scenic nether reaches of Siberia, charged with destroying Soviet state property. I'm sure the fellows who showed up for work with there equipment missing, they might have had to make tractor engine pistons or something, there was always something to do, they might have even made golden bayonets out of revenge. rofl2
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline newchi

• Marksman
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2017, 04:48:46 PM »
that could be the reason why you think Russian SKS spike bayonet is easy to find.
oh, quite possibly.  i count the sides at the gun show and cant remember how many by the time i get home.  senil1
Although, its much less common in my area to see even a norinco sks.
The hardware store had 7 sks, 6 frankenpinned and black painted badly (think stevie wonder with a 6 inch brush)  Interestingly one was an  54 Izhevsk in a Tula stock, a backwards N letter gun, and the paint was coming off of the receiver cover on one with bare metal underneath.  But everything matched.
The other store had much nicer slightly painted ones with one part mis matched on all of them.  But they were locked in a cabinet, i didn't look further.
What happens if you try and remove the paint?  Does the blueing survive?

Offline newchi

• Marksman
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2017, 09:58:32 AM »
is the sks spike bayonet and the ak47 spike bayonet the same thing?  size etc?

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2017, 02:21:38 PM »
is the sks spike bayonet and the ak47 spike bayonet the same thing?  size etc?

Nope....a bayonet for an Ak is shorter overall, about 12 inches total length vs about 15 inches for SKS/M44/Type53. The attachment shank/collar is different also. Only thing a Chinese SKS and Ak bayonet share is the triple groove design.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline newchi

• Marksman
« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2017, 07:28:01 PM »
well, you were right, i looked at all the sks bayonets i could find in canada today and even the ones listed as russian were 3 groove.