Author Topic: Ruger/Polycase ARX .380 Ammo  (Read 2034 times)

Offline Carl in CT

• Right Wing Extremist
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
  • Violating safe spaces everywhere
Ruger/Polycase ARX .380 Ammo
« on: March 02, 2016, 08:48:47 AM »
I bought some of this Ruger ARX .380 ammo this past fall and finally got the chance to shoot it. It is by Ruger but uses the Polycase ARX bullet and I think is pretty much the same as the Polycase Interceptor in .380. Velocity is pretty good for a .380 at 1315 fps because it uses a very light 56 grain molded metal/polymer bullet.

I only shot 25 rounds but it all went fine. No jams, no FTF, no FTE, no problems of any kind. I was shooting through my Kahr CW380. It has a steep feed ramp even for a subcompact pistol so I was concerned how a non-traditionally shaped bullet would feed. 25 rounds and all fed perfectly.

Accuracy seemed quite good. I didn't do any paper targets but I was hitting the metal plates just as well if not better with the ARX as with HPR FMJ or Critical Defense XTPs. Recoil seemed a tad less than the other ammo with more normal weight bullets. Not that a .380 kicks a lot but in a very light subcompact pistol even the .380 can be a tad snappy but these were not.

I really want to try the Leheigh Extreme Penetrator but they are expensive and I can't find them locally (adding shipping online makes them even more expensive). They also have a more squared bullet face than these ARX bullets so I'm still not sure how they will feed if I ever do get my hands on some.

The Ruger ARX were $20 for a 25 round box at Kittery Trading Post in Kittery ME. I saw them locally in CT but I didn't see the price and I didn't have time to ask. So they aren't cheap but not bad for a good SD round.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/micros/ammo/index.html

These are the Lehighs I mentioned. Much heavier all copper bullet at 90 grains, which is more normal and of course they are quite a bit slower at 950 fps. The heavier bullet may track better in the soft tissue of the target so I would probably prefer these if they feed, if I can get any and if they don't cost a mint. That said, the Ruger ARX are on shelves locally, not too expensive and feed perfectly.

http://www.lehighdefense.com/product...ant=1066236304

Hope that helps anyone wondering about these weird little bullets.
It's sad that the motto of young Americans isn't "live free or die" or "I regret that I have but one life to give for my country" or even "ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country". Instead their motto is "pee yourself, shelter in place and cry for help". Pathetic.