Author Topic: Hello from N. Georgia  (Read 3089 times)

Offline rjinga

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
Hello from N. Georgia
« on: October 25, 2017, 07:45:16 PM »
I bought a Chinese Type 56 SKS four days ago. 

From the first time I saw one, I thought they were kinda cool.  I mean, who doesn't like a rifle with a fold-out bayonet, right?  And, since 7.62x39 surplus ammunition is so cheap (compared to 7.62x51 anyway), it got me thinking of looking for an inexpensive plinking rifle. 

So, when I saw this rifle, and extras, offered for sale on another forum by a seller that was only 30 minutes away, I contacted him.  We met at his local indoor range and I got inspect the rifle and shoot it as well.  The seller told me that it was Chinese military by way of Albania.  Thanks to this site I've found out that the rifle is from Arsenal 26 and was manufactured in 1962.  (Yes, I have completed the survey in the Chinese SKS Guide.)

I call it "The Snow Leopard" because of the splotches on the stock.  All the numbers match, so I'm going to leave that original stock on it.  I also think I'm going to keep the splotchy appearance; I kinda like it. 

I got the rifle with sling, a Russian Arctic birch stock with hand-guard (going to re-sell), a "made in China" (in cursive) 20-round metal magazine (leaning toward re-sell), 28 10-round stripper clips, a 7-pouch chest rig, and 80 rounds of ammunition for $350.00.

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
Re: Hello from N. Georgia
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 07:55:27 PM »
hi RJ and welcome. good to have you here. congrats, looks like a nice one. you did good.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline newchi

• Marksman
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 10:53:44 PM »
a Russian Arctic birch stock with hand-guard (going to re-sell),
Why would you do that?  A girls got to have her fancy dress stock to go with the walmart sweat pants stock depending on the occasion. rofl2

And welcome.

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 11:59:37 PM »
  Welcome to the SKS-Files rjinga! It looks like you got a really nice Type 56 on your first SKS purchase! Welcome to the "I can't stop buying them" club!  :)

firstchoice

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 12:03:46 AM »
Welcome to the Files....  looks like you have a good start on an sks collection.   wink1

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 11:13:53 AM »
Welcome from WA!

Very nice package deal you got there  thumb1 You could get around $80-110 for that 20 rounder and about $50-80 for the Russian stock set, so that makes it a real steal.

I'd keep the stock set for a rescue. Potentially cheap way to get into a wood-mismatch Russian found in a synthetic stock.

Offline SKhiSm 59-66A1

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Marksman
  • My God, they have a Weaselpecker with them.
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 09:23:06 PM »
Welcome to the Files from Ohio

Wow looks like you knocked down a pretty sweet gun deal there. I have always thought one of those 20 rd. star mags might be a nice thing to have, I like how they look more like they belong there than duckbill mags do.   
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife."

Daniel Boone