Author Topic: Soviet Makarov 1975  (Read 3747 times)

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Soviet Makarov 1975
« on: April 14, 2017, 09:46:43 PM »
In 1945 a competition commenced to replace the Tula Tokarev Model of 1933, TT-33, pistol. Tokarev, Simonov and Makarov submitted designs, the latter submitted a pistol in 7.65x17mm Browning (.32 ACP) and one in the 9x18mm round developed by Boris Semin. The latter design won the competition, went through extensive trials and was officially adopted in 1951 as the Пистолет Макарова (ПМ), or in English, Makarov's Pistol (PM). Full production began in 1953 at Izhevsk and continued for the remaining days of the USSR, and beyond.*

I picked up my Russian PM off of GunBroker a couple of weeks ago. My example was manufactured in 1975, which was the last year before they began making certain parts by investment casting, starting with the hammer. The holster with rivets attaching the belt loops was made in 1983, and my rig is missing the lanyard and cleaning rod. It has a 3.67" chrome lined barrel, weighs in at just 1 lb 10 oz empty and 2.5 oz more with 8+1 9x18mm cartridges. The parts match and it has a non-serialized magazine.

It's import marked with the country of origin incorrectly listed as East Germany. Many Russian Makarovs were supplied to East Germany from whence they were imported and mismarked by the scholars at CAI. So this is a Russian sneak in collectors' slang, or a mismarked Soviet PM if the sneak term irritates you  :))

I haven't shot this one yet, but the East German Makarov is a great shooter. The Makarov has a nice trigger, especially in SA, and is easy to aim even with the low profile sites typical for many pistols of this era.

*Information from Henry Brown and Cameron White, "The Makarov Pistol: Soviet Union & East Germany". Recommended reading. Another book covering the Bulgarian and Chinese Makarovs is in the works.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: Soviet Makarov 1975
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 07:01:12 AM »
I li.... Naw, screw it.... Me wants it..  whistle12 it's outta this world....literally thumb1
I mean out of how many firearms on the planet,  who can say they have a type of handgun thats known to have traveled to outer space aboard Russian spacecraft many times. And, its currently also known/thought to reside in the Soyuz landing crafts survival kit on the I.S.S.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 09:15:50 AM »
very cool and thanks for the history of it. might have to look into getting one.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 12:13:01 PM »
Thanks Carl and Carl!

That bit of trivia about Russian cosmonaut sidearms is very interesting. As I look into it, it appears it was for possible survival scenarios in remote areas. They didn't splash down in the sea like US astronauts but parachuted down over land.  Siberia is a big area  chuckles1

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 02:00:11 PM »
Well, hey... I'm half way there....I got the holster  chuckles1

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 07:12:07 PM »
Well, hey... I'm half way there....I got the holster  chuckles1

That holster is lonely  :(  It needs to be filled  thumb1 chuckles1