Author Topic: SKS Butt-Stock Cross-Sections  (Read 3683 times)

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
SKS Butt-Stock Cross-Sections
« on: February 14, 2018, 07:54:25 PM »
Ok, I just cut up the sks stocks that I (along with RM) will be sending in to be analyzed for type/species and figured it would be useful information to record the cross-sections for configuration purposes. What I have to send are a 2m Chinese, 3m Chinese, Romanian, and an Albanian.   

Why?    Because thats how we roll at SKS-Files!    thumb1     CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

Up first is all 4 stocks shown together 

2M Chinese

3M Chinese

Romanian

Albanian

« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 01:42:24 PM by Loose}{Cannon »

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Dino412

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Re: SKS Butt-Stock Cross-Sections
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 09:31:15 PM »
Veeery interesting!!
 :o

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 07:48:07 AM »
Well that is some good information, and it kind of dashes plans I had, or at least easily pulling them off.

I picked up an Albanian buttplate and kind of fancied the idea of making a stock and using a cleaning kit tube to store a 'survival knife' style kit in the second hole. But seeing what meat is left after a Chinese stock is sliced up that might require a lot of putty.

The SKS Hunter/Fisher if you will.  Now if I could hunt down the properly threaded X-acto tip for the fish cleaning rod.... :)

I just considered the value of including the AK sight tool in your cleaning kit too...the flat head screwdriver could be used to gain access to stash spots hidden behind the buttplate in those lightening holes.  Perfect for anything from behind the lines communiques or down time combustibles.
I suppose a few last ditch cartridges could be stuck in there too. Fire starter? Cyanide capsules?   Fabbing a new door and modding a buttplate for a Leatherman?  Heck even that corkscrew that always seems to get forgotten on those camping trips. :)

I don't suppose anyone has a busted up Russian laminate (or even hardwood) to offer up to the band saw gods?  I am a little curious about what their innards look like.

Good stuff guys!  thumb1

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 10:16:22 AM »
One of the stocks RM has cut is a Russian hardwood.  Stay tuned

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 12:31:02 PM »
I'll do my best to get them up this weekend.  Been busy as snot lately!  ???

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 01:11:42 PM »
Interesting to note....  the Albanian having a side sling swivel, the location was undoubtedly chosen for the screws to miss the inletts for the cleaning kit and the oiler.  I would suspect the same on any nations stock such as the Chinese, NK etc having a side swivel.    thumb1

You can see the two holes here....

« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 01:42:05 PM by Loose}{Cannon »

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 01:30:05 PM »
So....cutting them, whats the general consensus on the types of wood. Looking at the raw guts and grain after slicing them open, holding them and examining, what are the preliminary best guesses to the types of wood?  The Russian butt I sent RM was kind of odd when I cut it...it had a really weird smokey smell.... the smell was not from me burning while cutting either.

And...I kind of shed a tear for the poor Romanian cry1   chuckles1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 03:42:04 PM »
The Albanian and Romanian sure look consistent with beech, Fagus sylvatica.

I can't make a guess on the Chinese, but those'll be the most interesting to me, regardless if there is birch, Betula pendula (or other species), qiu, Catalpa bungei, or some other wood that is identified.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 03:54:13 PM »
The Albanian and Romanian sure look consistent with beech, Fagus sylvatica.

I can't make a guess on the Chinese, but those'll be the most interesting to me, regardless if there is birch, Betula pendula (or other species), qiu, Catalpa bungei, or some other wood that is identified.

yup   thumb1

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 09:56:53 AM »
Where are you on those specimens you have RM?