Author Topic: Remington M1903A3  (Read 13388 times)

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Remington M1903A3
« on: December 20, 2015, 02:35:08 PM »
The American section has been quiet for a while, so I thought I'd post one of my favorite rifles, even though it's not new to me.  I won this beauty from an auction 71 years to the month after its manufacture date.  It was clean when I got it and I have never taken it apart and photographed it until yesterday. 

The OG on the stock says it went through Ogden Arsenal for refurbishment.  It was probably a light refurbishment.  The barrel is original to the receiver as shown by the indexing mark and the serial number range, which is consistent with the April 1943 barrel date.  "R" for Remington is found on everything from the FSB to the buttplate except the bolt sleeve which has a "G", a Smith Corona subcontractor.  Also, the front sight protector has an S for Sedgeley, a subcontractor, but I don't think that's incorrect and would be easily remedied if it were. The D on the blade signifies that it is the second tallest blade (A to E).  It's a mix of olive green and greenish-black parkerized and blued components, so I don't know if that is an indication of it being "restored" to correct or if color variation was normal on different parts. The Keystone subcontractor made scant stock has probably been "cleaned up" but, if so, it was lightly done.  The stock has a nice matte oil finish with relatively few dings and the OG mark is crisp but looks like it was struck at an angle.

It has a three lug, cock on open design like the Gewehr 98 Mauser action it was based on (look up Mauser patent infringement case). Similarly, the safety lever should be placed in the vertical position (no detent) before removing from the receiver and unscrewing the firing pin assembly.  Unlike the Gew98/K98k family, if you forget to put the safety in the correct position or accidentally release the cocked spring it is easy to recock before reassembly of the bolt by pulling back on the knurled cocking piece while rotating.  This is the only WWII bolt action rifle that retains a magazine cutoff. This cutoff is just a three position cam that also serves as the bolt release in the middle position.  ON means the magazine is ON, hence you can load from the magazine. OFF means you have to load one at a time while the magazine may be full of as many as five rounds.

It differs from its M1903 parent with respect to the sights (and hence handguards) and some stamped parts for ease of manufacture, like the one-pieced trigger guard/mag well.  The rear sight is the major functional difference, as both its position on the rifle and operation are different. It is a peep sight but has a cheap stamped slider with 13 detents from 200 to 800 yards. The rear sight is windage adjustable by means of a knurled knob with coarse detents and markings on the back to return to neutral.

This rifle is one of my favorite shooters. I favor peep sights and it has a relatively narrow (0.05") front blade that I also like. The bore has an ME less than "1" and the rifling is sharp, so basically a nearly new barrel. The trigger pull is a consistent 3.5 lbs (average of 7 measurements), which is rather light for a military trigger, and it has a very clean break!

Well, that's about all that I know about this rifle, corrections and other information are welcome (apologies for the wordy post but it's rainy here and I have time on my hands). Enjoy the pics!

12/21/15, edited the description of the stock (scant, not C, thanks Martin08) and the parts to reflect the latest information.

LEFT

RIGHT

SERIAL NUMBER AND BARREL

MAGAZINE CUTOFF

BYPASS MAGAZINE

BOLT RELEASE POSITION

LOAD FROM MAGAZINE

SIGHTS

« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 10:16:56 PM by Phosphorus32 »

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
Re: Remington M1903A3
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 02:44:17 PM »
Jon I have always thought these series of rifles to be a work of art. For me the most beautiful of all military arms and this one is an incredible example! Mine was a Smith-Corona!

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 03:15:11 PM »
Thanks Danny.  I'd like to get my hands on an M1903 someday and compare them in person...and maybe an SC 03A3  :))

I love this beautiful BA (bolt action or bad a__?  :)) rifle

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 05:05:56 PM »
I've seen/handled only one 1903 in all my years, that was a real treat! Yours is a real looker.

Offline padams8888

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Marksman
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 06:07:27 PM »
She's Purrrdy..........that IS  a piece of art! Thank you for sharing!!

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 08:35:37 PM »
Thanks Pat. My pleasure!  :)

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2015, 08:48:04 PM »
Stunning!

I think my Rem is a 43 also and and may be close to your serial... Ill dig it out and look.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2015, 09:11:51 PM »
Thanks LC!  :)

That'd be cool if it was close.  BTW here's a good online source for dating the 03s

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2015, 09:19:35 PM »
Rem barrel date of 7-43 and serial 3477235

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2015, 09:24:34 PM »
Your stock is a bit more 'C' shaped then mine at the wrist, and mine dont have the large cross bolts or whatever. 

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2015, 09:51:34 PM »
Your stock is a bit more 'C' shaped then mine at the wrist, and mine dont have the large cross bolts or whatever.
Sounds like a "scant" grip stock. The story is that they already had a few hundred thousand stock blanks around for the old straight stocks when the newer pistol grip specification was released mid-war, so they made an abbreviated, or scant, pistol grip with these "short" blanks.

Offline martin08

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2015, 11:25:42 PM »
Yes, it's a Scant grip stock, installed at rebuild from Ogden Arsenal.

Find your receiver dates for M1903 and 03-A3, here.

http://www.vishooter.net/m1903.html

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2015, 11:29:05 PM »
Which is the scant stock?

Offline martin08

• Marksman
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2015, 09:57:36 AM »
Full pistol grip is a C-stock.  Modified pistol grip is a Scant stock.

C-stocks began appearing on M1903 Springfields in the 1930's, and called the M1903A1.  And again the C-stock appeared on the 03-A4 sniper in 1943-44.  A number of Scant stocks were fitted for late sniper production, and these will have the RA, FJA and Crossed Cannon Cartouches.  But if an 03-A3 is fitted with a C or Scant stock, it was done at arsenal rebuild or post-surplus sales.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 11:31:43 AM by martin08 »

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2015, 11:42:10 AM »
I see...  Thanks for the education!

So a 1943 Remington 03A3 'should' originally have the non scant and non c stock?  Whats that stock called? 

Offline martin08

• Marksman
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2015, 09:53:13 PM »

So a 1943 Remington 03A3 'should' originally have the non scant and non c stock?  Whats that stock called?

It's called an 03-A3 stock.

The following link has a little bit dated information, but the basics are pretty good.

http://www.trfindley.com/pgm1903stkid.html

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2015, 10:09:28 PM »
Thanks...  I looked at the other link but didn't see anything pertaining to stocks and when/where they are considered replacements and or used in what timeframes etc. Im famiar with the C-stocks but didn't know about the scant aor what they called the standard. 

I have a look at this new link... Thanks again.   Im not an 03A3 guru by any means.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2015, 10:19:08 PM »

It's called an 03-A3 stock.

The following link has a little bit dated information, but the basics are pretty good.

http://www.trfindley.com/pgm1903stkid.html

The first "click to enlarge" page on that link is great for showing the different stock types. Thanks Matt!

Offline Root83

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
  • If it goes" bang"...it's all good
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2015, 10:31:30 AM »
That is one heck of a nice example ... probably one of the best I've ever seen. Grandpa had one but it wasn't near as nice as yours....Thanks for posting the pics.
8yrs and 97 Days in the US Marine Corps, recalled Dec 1990 for Kuwait, orders cancelled before unit ship out date, tried to re enlist Sept 14, 2001... told I was too old...by one year. Dang It
Semper Fi

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2015, 12:21:04 PM »
Thanks Root83  :)

This one couldn't have been used much based on the "1" on the muzzle erosion gauge and then it got a light refurb to spruce it up some more.