Author Topic: SKS use by Mongol Cavalry  (Read 3668 times)

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
SKS use by Mongol Cavalry
« on: October 14, 2014, 02:44:09 PM »
This morning I ran across this old article in a blog site and since then I have been unsuccessful in trying to locate this video the writer speaks of. Does anyone here have any knowledge of this video or the subject of Mongol Cavalry using the SKS Carbine?

I have searched the PBS web site with no luck.

Cavalry.
Sunday, January 25, 2004
posted by Albert

"With regard to the Mongol cavalry still in existence. A most interesting film clip shows how these horsemen train themselves and their mounts. This footage was shown at the start of a program that was part of the series on PBS called "The History of the World" or some such. Current day Mongol horseman is riding toward the cameraman, horse galloping at full tilt. The Mongol is sitting up straight in the saddle, and firing a SKS carbine at targets as he gallops along. Holding the carbine out in front of him and aiming with a stiff left arm holding the weapon. The horse had been trained to gallop along with in such a way that it would not bounce the rider up and down. An impressive spectacle of horsemanship and marksmanship!"

http://militarythoughts.blogspot.com/search/label/Cavalry

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: SKS use by Mongol Cavalry
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 04:30:10 PM »
Chinese stationed near Mongolia and likely comprised of locals?  Rifle is something newer.. maybe T81

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 04:52:58 PM »
What did he say?!

It's amazing they are still teaching these tactics from horseback. I suppose it may work in a situation or two but overall this would be a waste of horses in my opinion.

I must say this is danged good shooting from the hurricane deck of a moving horse!

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 02:49:29 AM »
Is it just me or do those seem like very small horses?

It seems as if the riders are actually compensating with their knees and holding their ballsack within an inch of sopranoville.

Very impressive drilling to say the least.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 03:26:11 AM »
They probably would have been taught to control their horse with their knees. Our family rides that way.

Yeah those horses do appear small but they must have tremendous stamina!