Author Topic: Free Red Bird Handguard that does not fit any of my three SKSs  (Read 12912 times)

Offline R1D2

• Toro
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
  • Stand your ground, if they mean war let it begin
Re: Free Red Bird Handguard that does not fit any of my three SKSs
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2018, 10:25:42 PM »
This thread made me so much money I ought to just send you one for free.
Finding a source for eight dollar handguard ferrules kept the rest of my SKS habit funded for the better part of last year. Unfortunately...after about seventy of them...I dried up the source. :(
your saying you would love to send me one free but you  cry1 feel bad you dont have any to send?

WELLL!!! bat1 yay me!
Thank you anyway... i posted a picture earlier of my mod 59. 
I'm using the cover thats "plastic" with the Wood stock (for now) 1) ive yet to get the original tube cover from my friends place 2) it was on there already and i dont have another. So yah.. i have most of whats pictured till i get extra money to make a few "small changes".. druginov stock isnt my type of tea, I'll try later for a simple Monte Carlo type stock, (may paint it later, or just ebay a used wooden replacement) internal mag 10 and 5 round hunter with external 40 round option to use, gas tube cover i would like to change.. oh and throw on a sling..
I have lots of time.. and it works.
Again thanks for the thought, guess tgats what really counts..
Certo!!
Destroy the Zombies! See them driven before you!

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2018, 10:55:00 PM »
Finding a source for eight dollar handguard ferrules kept the rest of my SKS habit funded for the better part of last year. Unfortunately...after about seventy of them...I dried up the source. :(
your saying you would love to send me one free but you  cry1 feel bad you dont have any to send?

WELLL!!! bat1 yay me!
Thank you anyway... i posted a picture earlier of my mod 59. 
I'm using the cover thats "plastic" with the Wood stock (for now) 1) ive yet to get the original tube cover from my friends place 2) it was on there already and i dont have another. So yah.. i have most of whats pictured till i get extra money to make a few "small changes".. druginov stock isnt my type of tea, I'll try later for a simple Monte Carlo type stock, (may paint it later, or just ebay a used wooden replacement) internal mag 10 and 5 round hunter with external 40 round option to use, gas tube cover i would like to change.. oh and throw on a sling..
I have lots of time.. and it works.
Again thanks for the thought, guess tgats what really counts..

I actually have several of the cheese graters....later in the thread she mentioned a source for replacement handguard ferrules...(the little metal U shaped things that hold the handguards on).  That was where I made bank. The suckers sell easily for four times what I got them for.  I don't really recommend the cheese graters, they hover on these triangular spring metal pieces (usually you get only one...but need two) The fit is a little wonky on them...you can compress them into the gun by squeezing them.  They can be flared a bit to fit better into the gas tube and ferrules...but are usually a little loose. Older ones made of heavier steel are a little better...but it is a total crapshoot if that is what you are getting.  The Red Bird ones are less robust.   

Your Yugo deserves the real wood, and Yugo parts are fairly plentiful (considering) lately.  Places like Numrich may list the various countries of manufacture using the same stock photo for them all...but I wouldn't be surprised if most of what they currently have in stock is Yugo.  Yugo's utilize a different type of wood, so any other country's handguards wouldn't likely look right. It is also kind of uncommon to even have a Yugo that the handguard and stock appear to match due to the nature of the grain...so a close match should be considered close enough for rock n roll.

I spent years with the opposite problem on my first SKS...a plastic side folder stock with a wood handguard.

~T

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2018, 02:54:44 AM »
Sorry. If I remember correctly, I threw the handguard in the trash.

Offline R1D2

• Toro
  • Newber
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2018, 11:44:53 AM »
Thanks Justin
and thanks T
Certo!!

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2018, 03:33:39 AM »
If you like 30 round detachable mags you should get a sporter or m.

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2018, 03:35:52 AM »
Thanks guys for being so greedy and buying up all the handguard ferrules

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2018, 09:42:35 AM »

Really, you're going to go there?  Instead of being a jackwagon, maybe you could have just asked if anyone has a spare ferrule they might be willing to part with.  (I've probably got one or two in my pile of parts somewhere.)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2018, 11:32:26 AM »

Really, you're going to go there?  Instead of being a jackwagon, maybe you could have just asked if anyone has a spare ferrule they might be willing to part with.  (I've probably got one or two in my pile of parts somewhere.)

Yup, I agree with RM..also it's a first come, first serve.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2018, 01:21:11 PM »
I did hang on to a couple...rainy days n such.  I might even still need to replace one of mine, I may have not gotten around to it.

All last summer I had them starting at, and selling for reasonable prices...once or twice bidders got crazy, but otherwise they sold for around $30 shipped.  They kept my paypal account fluffed enough to keep the wife off my back for other little SKS purchases.  I think I started them at about half what they normally are listed for...and eventually the market corrected itself a bit higher and eBay was getting pushy about offering free shipping.... it worked out kinda nice.

I kinda feel nice that I help facilitate the restoration of a multitude of poor SKSs, honestly I didn't think I could possibly have sold that many. There are still a couple guys who bought them from me trying to turn a five dollar profit on them...yet they sit there.  They were nearly the only SKS part that dealer had at a reasonable price...although they do still have a pretty decent deal I might take advantage of.  :-X

Offline R1D2

• Toro
  • Newber
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2018, 04:06:50 PM »
If you like 30 round detachable mags you should get a sporter or m.
i am getting the 5 round mag for future hunting, I'll use the 40 round pro mag and original 10 rounder. Ive got a yugo m59 dont need the sporter or m version just yet :-)  just got my yugo not long ago
Certo!!

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2018, 03:23:24 AM »

Must be nice to have the monopoly on ferrules!

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2018, 11:14:19 AM »

Must be nice to have the monopoly on ferrules!

I didn't buy them all at once, it was split up over three purchases IIRC.  The seller had had them for sale at that same price for nearly two decades according to them.  I was able to make a little and undersell the folks on eBay that destroy SKSs for a living....by selling new ferrules for less than they were selling used pulls from otherwise perfectly good guns.

I wasn't the only person to have them
I helped folks obtain better parts at a better price
I saved (potentially) some SKSs from being parted out
I lowered (at least temporarily) what the average selling price for a ferrule goes for
I ticked off a dude with a hideous background for his gutted gun part auctions
I make less than $5k a year (often much less) in my sound reinforcement business, any income is needed.

Capitalism, ain't it grand?

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2018, 12:05:03 PM »
You wouldn't think a person would have to explain capitalism, free market economies, and supply and demand principles of microeconomics on a firearms forum, but thanks JH.

sksmcrossvilletn: no more sarcastic comments are needed, nor will they be tolerated. Bite your tongue or shoot out your irritation about the price of a little metal part at the range.

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2018, 02:46:58 PM »

LOL,

I was only kidding. I don't even need a ferrule lol.

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2018, 02:48:23 PM »
You wouldn't think a person would have to explain capitalism, free market economies, and supply and demand principles of microeconomics on a firearms forum, but thanks JH.

sksmcrossvilletn: no more sarcastic comments are needed, nor will they be tolerated. Bite your tongue or shoot out your irritation about the price of a little metal part at the range.

LOL,

Y'all sure are thin skinned. I was only kidding. Why take things so seriously and be such thin skinned?

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2018, 03:04:28 PM »
Looks like this thread has run its course.   

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.