Author Topic: Indische Ondernemersbond FN Mauser  (Read 3634 times)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Indische Ondernemersbond FN Mauser
« on: December 02, 2016, 02:32:41 PM »
It's a strange looking beast, made by FN, and it's still in 8mm. It's a contract rifle and IOB stands for Indische Ondernemersbond, or Federation of East Indian Entrepreneurs. The barrel is just a hair under 17 1/2 inches long, the stock was modified to this change. From what I can understand, it was used initially by Dutch plantation owners, then evolved into a Police Carbine in the East Indies. As I have found out 2 lots marked IOB were made, one lot in 1948 and the next lot in 1949, each lot consisting of 3000 rifles. Then a later lot was made/delivered without the IOB crest and were marked POLITIE, est. number of 20,000. Through time some of these weapons were converted to 7.62 Nato. So this is a pretty uncommon Mauser, based on the serial number, it's from the first batch in 1948. Also, no parts other than the bolt and receiver have a serial number, the bolt is close, but doesn't match, and it's import date is hard to say, as there is no import stamp or mark.   

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: Indische Ondernemersbond FN Mauser
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 03:21:51 PM »
Sweet! A rare bird indeed  :o  thumb1  This one looks to be in very good condition. It's common for them to have pitting at the wood line from years in a humid equatorial environment.  Those Dutch East Indies plantation owners had to band together to protect their rubber(s)

Congratulations!  Might want to book an appointment for shoulder surgery before firing  chuckles1

P.S. I had an IOB in my hands about 15 months ago but: 1. it arrived with a stock cracked 98% through the wrist; 2. it was in 7mm, perhaps a Mexican M1924 barrel on an IOB receiver ??? I didn't keep it.  Now I have one of the unmarked ones on the way
  :))

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 04:34:43 PM »
That's an awesome get GM!  Very neat little carbine.  thumb1

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 11:53:34 PM »
Weird critter!     Interesting hustory.   thumb1

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.