Author Topic: Multi Cal  (Read 19578 times)

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: Multi Cal
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2015, 11:02:38 PM »
Lol

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2015, 11:24:26 PM »
This is all fascinating Tudorp, I have considered getting into the AR platform. But I'm very much satisfied with our SKSs and the AR gets a tad "rich" for my blood!

I am envious of you however.

Offline Tudorp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2015, 07:16:58 AM »
I considered building a 7.62X39 AR platform, but read a lot about it before making the choice. I actually wanted a 7.62X39 AR so I can streamline my ammo needs and share ammo with the Arsenal SLR and SKS. But after some research find that it is a finicky round for the AR platform. There are issues of reliability due to the tapered brass of the X39 round. And then I loved the idea of all the same parts with the exception of the barrel. If by chance the 300BO round does't make it to mainstream, or gets too expensive to even load yourself, All I have lost is a barrel. Just yank the barrel and toss it in the tool box to use as a cheater/pry bar. ;). All my other parts are good to put back to .223/5.56NATO.  But, I also like the round because it is more accurate then the AK platform. Im still new to the 300BO, but so far, I do like it.

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2015, 08:30:36 AM »
Now I 'know' the AR guys are full of BS.   The chambers are cut to the same saami specs as anything else in x39.   ::)      Your talkin about guys that mix-n-match crap and order junk online from the cheapest vender, then slap it all to gether and wonder why it wont cycle perfectly.    Ohhh... must be this crap x39 case/chamber...  maybe I should go BLACKOUT baby, Yeah!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 08:36:53 AM by Loose}{Cannon »

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Tudorp

• Cadet
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2015, 09:17:32 AM »
     Your talkin about guys that mix-n-match crap and order junk online from the cheapest vender, then slap it all to gether and wonder why it wont cycle perfectly.    Ohhh... must be this crap x39 case/chamber...  maybe I should go BLACKOUT baby, Yeah!

You are probably right. One reason I won't buy bubba's home built AR, lol. There is so much crap out there, and if thrown together, any caliber is subject to issues. I also know a few guys that actually know what they are doing have great success with X39 ARs. But, myself being new to the platform, and actually DON'T know what I am doing, just purchased a factory built 330BO upper. I wanted to give it a "shot" (no pun... ok, pun). The main reason is if I don't like it, I can pull the barrel and keep all the other parts and just put it back together as a standard .223. I am hoping that ammo prices come down though, but it also gives me an excuse to get into reloading which I have been dragging my feet on. ;) SO far, I like it. But, it's still up in the air as far as it goes. We'll play it out and see how it goes. I have known many "AR guys" that are full of schit, and just because they built an AR on their kitchen table, think they are Smiths, lol.. I'm not a "real" AR guy, I'm a vintage milsurp guy personally. Those I know, AR, not so much other than what I used in the Military as a "user".

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2015, 09:22:38 AM »
Black Hole Weaponrys Grendel barrels come with a x39 bolt.   :)

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2015, 11:58:36 AM »
 :-\

Offline Tudorp

• Cadet
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2015, 12:15:44 PM »
Is that chart, yards, and bullet drop in inches?

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2015, 12:31:12 PM »
Yes

Offline Tudorp

• Cadet
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2015, 12:38:44 PM »
Interesting. Looks like 300bo, and X36 show about the same as far as that goes.

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2015, 12:45:37 PM »
Same bullet, same speeds = same results

Offline Tudorp

• Cadet
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2015, 01:20:33 PM »
Same bullet, same speeds = same results

Yep, not a shocker. Just made mention because there was a mention of the shorter brass not holding the same charge.

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2015, 02:15:42 PM »
I believe the guy who did that chart used specs from factory loads. 

Basically what you have is x39 barrels for the AR being chambered in BO. So the twist rate is the same and so the same speeds are reached to stabilize the bullet. The slightly smaller casing can simply receive a hotter powder thats less case filling to get it there.  It looks like the shallow seating depth is increasing the volume anyhow.

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2015, 03:01:46 PM »
I hate to push the Grendel further, but....  guys want 7.62x39 knockdown power and redesign the wheel to make a buck with a fancy name.

Why not get MORE knockdown power then x39 and MORE accurate then 556?

Offline Tudorp

• Cadet
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2015, 04:23:07 PM »
That looks like a nice round. The biggest draw of the blackout though with the military was that they can use it in exsisting hardware with minimal upgrade (barrel). They wanted something that they don't have to retool up with new platform, magazine etc. The grendal is similar, but a completely redesigned upper I take it?

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2015, 04:29:01 PM »
Where you hear the US mil is converting to BO?

No...  you buy the barrel that comes with the bolt head which comes off the carrier in seconds.  Then you just use a x39 mag which are a dime/dozen.

Offline Tudorp

• Cadet
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2015, 04:34:07 PM »
Where you hear the US mil is converting to BO?

They haven't bought into any replacement yet. But from what I am reading is that they are testing it amungst other things I assume. From the articles, they seem to like the BO, but I am sure they like parts of it, as well as parts of others as well. But, as far as standardizing on it, they haven't yet as far as I know.

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2015, 04:40:58 PM »
Laff...  the gov is always screwing with calibers etc.  The big push on the bo comes from AR guys wanting it to become cheaper.   ::)

We are broke anyhow... the BO gurus can keep dreaming and writing their articles.

Offline Tudorp

• Cadet
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2015, 04:57:04 PM »
Thats true. Im not hardcore BO. I just got into it cheap, even knowing the ammo is pricey. Kinda like buying a printer cheap knowing ink cartridges are expensive.. lol.  Im not even an AR guy, just got the BO to play with. If it goes standard or not, I really don't care one way or the other because my heart is and has always been the vintage military guns. I plan to load my own BO anyway soon. Plenty of .223 brass for me to use, and .308 bullets, so I will never run out of raw materials to load my own. When  I get bored with doing that, I'll just yank the barrel, and move on to something else.. That is kinda cool about the AR platform is there are lots of ways to go with it.

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2015, 05:05:48 PM »
The bo pushers are youtube operator wannabe commando guys that do runnin and gunnin crap playing out scenarios that go right out the window in real life combat. They also forget we already have larger caliber weapons such as the 762nato and 50.  The entire point of 556 is to more accurately engage the enemy at a further distance and cause injuries less devastating requiring 2 ormore combatants to give aid to the casualty.  You know what all three of these intermediate calibers have in common?...  you take a non vital hit and your wanting momma... you take one to center mass or higher your dead.   I would rather do that at a distance greater then the enemy can.

I dont see our marksmanship training at the 500m line swapping to a 200y gun.  There is a reason why combloc nations dumped the x39 and almost copied the 556.