Author Topic: SKS Chinese  (Read 6569 times)

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman
SKS Chinese
« on: May 19, 2018, 11:37:21 PM »
Just bought this at Cabelas. They were out of Russians so took a look at this. Showed 3 and I bought this one. And as usual the magazine does not match. I don't know much about Chinese so I put it in commercial.
https://ibb.co/album/g1BXaa
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 11:44:30 PM by jstin2 »

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
Re: SKS Chinese
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 12:19:04 AM »
Nice /946\?

I am kind of partial to the side sling mounts.

That circled star stamp is new to me....

very cool. :)

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 12:23:53 AM »

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 09:11:27 AM »
nice find. going to have to check out my local Cabellas.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Power Surge

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 04:22:41 PM »
That would be a military Chinese, circa 1970. A nice low serial there too. Really really nice shape. That star on the stock is very interesting as well.

Don't sweat the non-matching magazine, it's pretty common.

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 06:06:03 PM »
Just out of curiosity and knowing Cabella's...how overpriced are they in Canada?
I am imagining about 80% over what the tire shops used to sell them for.  We got a local Cabella's right around the time the last batch of Albanian imports hit the US.  They never got any in, but they were selling Mosins for $250 when the rest of the planet had them for $150

Online Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 08:12:33 PM »
Thats really nice ! Has a nice darker tint to the stock unless you croped the pic. And the numbers are stamped really clear and in order too.. Sweet ! I only get  jealous when you guys post up nice Russians.. So ill compliment your Chi Com : ) Ha ha ha  thumb1 clap1 clap1 clap1

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2018, 08:15:30 PM »
I bought the first one for $229.99 CDN plus 5% sales tax about $170.00US. Did the customer survey and received $20.00 off my next one. On second one the trigger, receiver cover and magazine did not match, but carbine was in excellent condition. Pictures are not modified.
https://ibb.co/album/ichfva
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 09:50:24 PM by jstin2 »

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 12:50:41 AM »
Wow...to live somewhere where late 90s prices still existed.  At Cabella's no less.

Are the magazines butchered in a more humane fashion on the Chinese up there? I did get one Canadian modded mag that was quite simple to disable, and didn't bastardize the serial....just a pin on the follower.  I have only found one early magazine without the rivet for the spring....with this huge hole going through the serial and something that looked like a socket jammed in for the five round limit.

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 12:51:00 AM »
  Nice SKS jstin2! Are they still importing them into Canada or are these old stock? Price is sure right on them.

Are the Canadian mags stamped like the US mags or does the 5rd restrictor pin interfere with SN placement? Depending on SN placement, you could scrub the mag and just go with a no-serial # mag. Or, just pick up a blank mag some time down the road.

This /946\ arsenal stamp has the "leg" on the 4 like the /416\ stamp does. I think that's the first /\ stamp I've seen with that leg, other than the /416\ stamp.

firstchoice

Offline martin08

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 07:19:30 AM »
What do we make of the circle-star on the stock?  Obviously, the lion's share of Chinese carbines do not have such marks.

Special purpose?

I have only seen this once or twice before, along with an equally rare Star-1 stock stamp of somewhat unknown origin and purpose.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2018, 01:04:16 PM »
I think it's just an arsenal specialty, something they did specifically at /946\ (and perhaps no where else, need more data, two data points is pretty thin to make any concrete conclusion).

The only other consistent markings like it I can think of are the S/N star stock marks we see on a good portion of the /156\ guns:

So not unprecedented to see larger star markings on a stock, but the circle around it sure sets it apart.  Very North Koreanish (I know, I know, it's not.  But you've got to admit they are pretty darn similar)!  thumb1

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2018, 09:56:36 PM »
Nk never made a spike stock.....  weird.  But cool!

Nice get!

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2018, 11:10:54 PM »
Funny. A /946\ with the star on the right buttstock and the fat font serial number on the left side popped up on Facebook from a guy in Canada last week  thumb1  :)

« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 01:32:16 AM by Phosphorus32 »

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2018, 07:21:20 AM »
BTW, a very nice pair of rifles jstin2  thumb1 Two examples from a rarely observed apparently low production arsenal with production of only a few thousand a year, perhaps, spanning 1968-71. I wonder if more of these will pop up in Canada.

Offline snek

• Newber
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2018, 02:26:06 PM »
Looks like you got your wish!

Picked up from Cabela's Canada as well this month, 13xxxxx serial number [1968?], all matching and pristine internals (aside from the pinned mag), with a healthy coating of cosmoline across the whole carbine.

I can only imagine these are popping up because of the new import wave from North Sylva as Cabela's runs out of Soviet SKS' [Sanctions on Molot?]. I'm not too familiar with Chinese arsenals, or Chinese guns in general, but from what I can tell from some searching online /946\ isn't too common. Do we know anything about the factory at all? 10% off + 20$ survey coupon meant it came out around 160 US Dollars after tax.

Now regarding the circle-star stamp, there are no other markings on the wood of this rifle aside from the fat-font serial underneath the side sling mount on the left side of the stock. Similarly, there are no metal markings aside from serial numbers and the arsenal marking + Type 56 characters. Is there any reference to the PLA ever using a circle-star logo on any of their equipment? These are clearly Chinese rifles, but to me it seems that the circle-star marking is near-identical to the marking used on a certain affiliated country's equipment. It could just be coincidence, but there's a bit of wishful thinking here.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2018, 02:47:14 PM »
Looks like a great carbine snek, thanks for posting!  It'll be interesting to see if any of the guns from this batch (either from a different arsenal, or from the same /946\ arsenal but with an obvious replacement stock) *don't* have the circle star on the right buttstock. 

Thanks for joining the boards, hope you enjoy it here!  thumb1

Offline Power Surge

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2018, 11:55:47 PM »
Could it be possible this marking is something applied on importation to Canada to identify them as Chinese?

Offline martin08

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2018, 08:09:33 AM »
Experience has shown that no marks on these SKS carbines are applied willy-nilly.  Each mark has a purpose, and many have been deciphered that once had no known meaning or were once misidentified through internet lore.

An order went out to stamp this Circle-Star on the right buttstock, either at the factory or place of special issuance.    Could be for a special force, unit, geographical location, political faction, etc.  And while it is fun and maybe even proper to speculate about its application, it is important not to make any mythical declarations about its identification without verifiable proof of origin.

Right now it's a pretty cool thing.  Hopefully more will show, and some solid information can be attached to its purpose.

Meanwhile, thanks for posting!

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2018, 11:41:58 AM »
I will just kick this out there, simply because I look outside of the SKS realm :)... ya'll decide if it's pertinent, it's a common mark seen on at least two of the later Chinese rimfires...commercial rifles. I don't think it's attributed to another countries equipment.

The circle star on my TU-KKW rimfire receiver.

Same mark on a Norinco TU-KKW 33/40 rimfire I'm considering.

One thing of note... my 2 Norinco JW-15 rifles, which those 2 models above are based off of, is sterile of markings on the grooved rail, it's blank. They are all from the same time period..maybe just a different factory?
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem