Author Topic: Can someone with Yugo & Chinese rifles, measure a part for me?  (Read 2603 times)

Offline KILLDOZER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
I'm running into some compatibility issues with a (after-market Prince50) front sight, and I need to know if there's a size difference (in diameter, not length) between a front sight part on the Yugo and Chinese rifles. I'm talking about the little barrel that goes crossways through the front sight, the piece that the front-sight-adjusting-tool pushes left and right to adjust for windage.
I am trying to install one that is supposedly Chinese, but is noticably too thin for the hole, and I'm hoping to find out of it might actually be from a Yugo rifle.
I don't necessarilly need exact measurements, as much as I just need to know if one is smaller than the other.
Again, I'm only talking about the diameter, of the hole/barrel, as seen from the side of the sight.
Any help much appreciated......
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 10:35:33 AM by KILLDOZER »

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
Re: Can someone with Yugo & Chinese rifles, measure a part for me?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 11:45:28 AM »
Cant help you with a yugo but, my Chinese "ghost" sight barrel/pin measures about 1/4-9/32".  Very close to 5/16".

Offline KILLDOZER

• Rifleman
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 01:00:09 PM »
Thanks bro, that's helpful. I just carefully checked this one, and I'm seeing dead-on 5/16 (possibly a hair's thickness under that, but that would be it, if at all).
So it appears the one I have here is a Chinese pin, as advertised, so it's this BulletButton/Prince50 front sight apparatus that seems to have an out-of-spec hole in it. Supposedly, these were made to have original Chinese parts installed. I messaged the guy (Prince50) over on the other SKS forum, asking for advice/info, or even to get the new barrel that the upgraded version now comes with, but haven't heard back.
Thanks again for getting back to me......
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 01:05:56 PM by KILLDOZER »

Offline likemeasks

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 04:34:33 PM »
Please excuse the fact that I'm just now joining this site but, Yes there is a difference between the Yugos and all other SKS nationalities, kida like the Albanians. The Yugos are slightly larger in practically all aspects from the rest. I had a Yuos and tried one of those "illuminated" front sight post. don't know if it was the barrel or just the hole/thread size but the damn thing "fell" the hole in the barrel. Tried spreading the lower threaded area of the post where the slot is and broke it in half before it ever engaged the barrel threads. A gunsmith here in town told me even the bolt should not be interchanged because Yugo bolts are a few millimeters tall and thicker than the others. Often it will bind in the carrier or it will cause the carrier to drag the inside of the receiver cover.

I tried to fit a Chinese action into a Yugo stock and had to shorten the front area 3/16" and remove about 1/8" of wood from the area where the trigger housing tang connects to the receiver lock tang behind the safety.

Charlie