Author Topic: Bubba Comes to CT  (Read 3350 times)

Offline Carl in CT

• Right Wing Extremist
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
  • Violating safe spaces everywhere
Bubba Comes to CT
« on: March 10, 2015, 06:27:47 PM »
Yes, I am a purist when it comes to the collectible guns such as my '52 Russian SKS. Even my all matching Chinese letter series C&R SKS I consider a piece of history and won't alter it, same with my run of the mill Mosin Nagant 91/30. That said, this is my SKS Sporter that I have indeed tinkered with. I often refer to it as a M just because it no longer has the Sporter thumbhole stock but it is a Sporter. Here is what I have done with it:

1. Ditched the thumbhole stock and replaced it with a regular SKS stock that I modified to accept the metal mag well liner from the thumbhole stock. I painted the metal stock hardware black. I sanded and refinished the stock but I may strip it and do it again as it came out too red for my liking.
2. Sent trigger group to Murray for his made in USA hammer/sear/trigger set and trigger tuning (it's really sweet now too).
3. Added a Scoutscopes scout mount.
4. Added a Sightmark green reticle reflex sight.
5. Added a custom rail that fit into the spike cut bayo slot on the stock.
6. Added a rail extension to the bottom rail.
7. Added a cheap light/laser combo to bottom rail (came with a remote switch but my off hand puts my index finger right at the switch on the back of the light so I'm just using it that way for now).
8. Added a made in USA cheese grater hand guard.
9. Added a 1 inch rubber stock extension.

That 40rd mag is not mine, it belongs to my friend. I only have 5 and 10 rd mags because I didn't want to register any high cap mags in CT so I gave them all to my brother in Utah. This gun is 922r compliant and is not only legal in CT it doesn't even need to be registered like ARs do because it only has the detachable mag, no other evil features. If I can prove it was manufactured in 1992 like I think it is then it qualifies under CT law as pre-ban and I could then have a pistol grip, forward pistol grip, flash hider, etc. I may pursue that later. Take that CT!

Here are the pics, enjoy!

It's sad that the motto of young Americans isn't "live free or die" or "I regret that I have but one life to give for my country" or even "ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country". Instead their motto is "pee yourself, shelter in place and cry for help". Pathetic.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
Re: Bubba Comes to CT
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 05:31:38 PM »
That is a pretty neat and unique build....for some reason I am kind of digging the forward mounted light, I would hate to shoot it like that without a forward grip, or at least rail ladders....it gives me some ideas for leftover parts I have for sure.

My desire for a AK mag paratrooper has been rekindled.  I have only seen one around here, and it is on display in a 'museum' at the local wood stove shop.  Hearing what the owner charges for SKS's a couple weeks ago...never more than $150 usually, and $200 once for a very nice Yugo.  :o   

It's no wonder I have never seen an SKS at their gun store......I am considering making an offer he can't refuse.....another guitar may just have to go on the chopping block....I have plenty of spares in that department.  A 2.5:1 ratio of guitars to SKS's just doesn't sit well with me anymore....although it is better than the 7:1 ratio it was a few years ago.  :)

Offline Carl in CT

• Right Wing Extremist
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 01:00:34 PM »
Thanks, it is fairly unique with the custom stock and custom bottom rail. The forward light was done out of necessity but I agree, it gives it a different look that I kinda like too. I can mount the light on the reflex sight as that has a side rail but it cast some shadows from up there which it doesn't do mounted up front.

The rails aren't too bad on the hand just holding it but I haven't shot it yet like that. I may change my mind then. I will probably look for either some sort of forward grip or at least rail covers. Now I'm not so sure I can get the forward grip in CT even if I can prove it's pre-1994 so I may just get the rail covers and avoid arguments/lawyers.
It's sad that the motto of young Americans isn't "live free or die" or "I regret that I have but one life to give for my country" or even "ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country". Instead their motto is "pee yourself, shelter in place and cry for help". Pathetic.

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 01:52:44 PM »
I dig it, good choice to keep the stock as wood, would look maybe "too" bubba'd if it were synthetic.

This is more of a "classy" bubba job. Looks great  thumb1

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 02:05:13 PM »
I gravitate strongly towards the purist end of the spectrum too, but I like the looks of that SKS  thumb1  I think the stock looks good as it is.

I think I'd prefer the looks and slightly more rearward center of gravity with the light further back but your point about decreasing shadows makes sense from a practical SD shooting perspective.

Offline Carl in CT

• Right Wing Extremist
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 03:27:23 PM »
I may move the light back a little but it's so lightweight that it probably won't matter much. The extension is not too heavy either. The weight does amplify as you move it out further, that's true. I will have to get out and shoot it some and see how far back I can comfortably pull my support hand to see how far back I can pull the light back. If I can go with a fore grip of some sort that would help with rail real estate I would think.