Author Topic: ramline handguard  (Read 6951 times)

Offline Brawny

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
ramline handguard
« on: June 20, 2016, 07:14:15 PM »
I like the way they look, at least while they have not been mounted yet. Finding pics of a woody with a ramline handguard is hard to find.
What are y'all's thought?
And please post pics if you have one in that configuration.
Thanks
Brawny

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
Re: ramline handguard
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 04:05:36 AM »
I've always liked how they looked with wood or polymer. I searched high and low and never could find one. Until a week ago when one showed up on eBay. I was able to snag it and it's in route!

Offline Brawny

• Cadet
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 06:46:32 AM »
I've always liked how they looked with wood or polymer. I searched high and low and never could find one. Until a week ago when one showed up on eBay. I was able to snag it and it's in route!

Good deal!
Be sure to post a pick when you put it on.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 09:48:20 AM »
I have one, I too had to search for one available separately for quite awhile. It doesn't match my Ramline stock though...the material seems different. Unfortunately the PO did a job filing it down...I think perhaps to avoid removing the pin and instead jamming it in after making it too short for a tight fit.

To indulge you with a view of a not so functional one on wood...I did a mock up for ya. :)

I think it looks a little odd, and I have yet to find a combination of poly stock and this handguard that I find appealing. The plastic seems to match the ATI stocks more than any other oddly.

Offline Brawny

• Cadet
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 10:46:21 AM »
I have one, I too had to search for one available separately for quite awhile. It doesn't match my Ramline stock though...the material seems different. Unfortunately the PO did a job filing it down...I think perhaps to avoid removing the pin and instead jamming it in after making it too short for a tight fit.

To indulge you with a view of a not so functional one on wood...I did a mock up for ya. :)

I think it looks a little odd, and I have yet to find a combination of poly stock and this handguard that I find appealing. The plastic seems to match the ATI stocks more than any other oddly.

Dang, I hope my po didn't butcher mine.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 11:13:49 PM »
Nothing a little plumbers putty jammed on either end to tighten it up...I just slapped that together. :)

The condition of the tube I used is quite lacking too...and doesn't match up well with the HG either...it was just a spare laying on the desk. It usually sports another unused Tapco HG that actually fits like a glove...and sits unused, waiting for me to get a wild hair to reblue it.

Offline Brawny

• Cadet
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 10:16:57 PM »
Son of a
I'm pissed. I bid on (another)one on ebay and lost again. I don't usually get angry but damn.

Edit: I'm cool now.
Has anyone milled a poly handguard to allow for more ventilation?  It seems that with the right equipment it shouldn't be difficult.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 10:21:10 PM by Brawny »

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 10:21:58 PM »
welp....bid higher and/or faster, don't throw nickles and dimes at it, show the world ya want it thumb1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Brawny

• Cadet
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 10:31:44 PM »
welp....bid higher and/or faster, don't throw nickles and dimes at it, show the world ya want it thumb1

Well I kind of was relying on ebay to holler at me as the bid was closing. In fact on the way in tonight I told myself to check but of course I got sidetracked and forgot. Such is life

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 06:55:54 AM »
Son of a
I'm pissed. I bid on (another)one on ebay and lost again. I don't usually get angry but damn.

Has anyone milled a poly handguard to allow for more ventilation?  It seems that with the right equipment it shouldn't be difficult.

I wonder if it's the one I got. How much did it go for?

Offline Brawny

• Cadet
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 07:10:45 AM »
Son of a

I wonder if it's the one I got. How much did it go for?

I have no doubt it was you as it was the only one up.
I'm going to move on, it was just another expense I really didn't need anyway!

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2016, 10:00:20 AM »
Well the auction I bid on closed like two days ago!

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2016, 10:02:26 AM »
There's a guy either on gunboards.com or surplus rifle forum I can't remember which username of blua-hammer that has one!

Offline Brawny

• Cadet
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2016, 10:13:55 AM »
Yeah I snoozed and losed.
There had been no activity for several days, I was the only one bidding so didn't think much of it. Got to have that killer instinct to properly utilize ebay!

Seriously it doesn't look as if milling a few slots in a guard would be hard, if you have the equipment.