Author Topic: CT AWB - Angled Fore Grip is not a banned feature  (Read 6486 times)

Offline Carl in CT

• Right Wing Extremist
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
  • Violating safe spaces everywhere
CT AWB - Angled Fore Grip is not a banned feature
« on: January 13, 2016, 09:21:04 AM »
I know this is only of interest to CT residents but I figured if there are one or two out there besides me this might be helpful.

I recently purchased a Magpul AFG2 for my SKS Sporter. It has a regular SKS stock modified to fit, no thumbhole stock. Therefore it has no "evil features" under CT law and is legal to own and transfer and does not need to be registered (it hits a real sweet spot/loophole in the stupid CT AWB).

I got my hands on a custom bottom rail a while back that fits neatly into the spike bayo cut in the stock. I wanted to put the AFG on that along with a tactical light. I then started to think, "Is there any way that AFG could be construed as a forward pistol grip and therefore make my legal gun into an illegal assault rifle under CT law?"

Now, I knew my gun is also pre-1994 ban and that should exempt it from any of the CT AWB nonsense as far as ownership, sale/transfer, and no need to register it even if it did have evil features (under CT statute section C.G.S. 53-202m). I wasn't sure how far that went as far as adding new evil features to a pre-ban gun. It seems I can do whatever I want, which is cool.

Anyway, I emailed the Connecticut State Police, Special Licensing and Firearms Unit (SLFU). This was the response:

Dear Carl in CT (well I used my real name in the letter  ;) ),

The Chinese SKS-M rifle generally has a two digit prefix as part of the serial number which indicates the year of manufacture. (i.e.,  93-123456, meaning a 1993 manufacture). The "M" is reported to stand for "monte carlo" stock which is a sporting stock without a pistol grip. Other versions also had a thumbhole stock... Depending on date of manufacture, this firearm may be subject to the provisions of C.G.S. 53-202m.   As far as the angled fore grip, without knowing the specific make model etc, I cannot offer an opinion as to its compliance with Connecticut Law.  The Magpul angled fore grip referenced in your email however, does not seem to meet the definition of a forward pistol grip.

I hope this answers your question, please feel free to contact me should you require any further assistance.

Sincerely,
SGT. Bill Kelly

Sergeant William A. Kelly #223
Unit Supervisor – Firearms Section
Connecticut State Police
Special Licensing and Firearms Unit (SLFU)

1111 Country Club Road Middletown, CT.  06457
It's sad that the motto of young Americans isn't "live free or die" or "I regret that I have but one life to give for my country" or even "ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country". Instead their motto is "pee yourself, shelter in place and cry for help". Pathetic.

Offline Stoned_Oli

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
Re: CT AWB - Angled Fore Grip is not a banned feature
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 10:24:02 AM »
So... is it a Sporter or an M?  dance2

Offline Carl in CT

• Right Wing Extremist
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 10:54:30 AM »
So... is it a Sporter or an M?  dance2

Technically it is a Sporter as that's what is says on the side of the receiver. I know there are those who feel they are all Ms no matter what it says but I don't think those guys are on this board, lol.

I sometimes refer to it as a M because often times the second you say Sporter people think it banned (which it would be in CT if it still had the original thumbhole stock on it) but sine it has a regular SKS stock on it now and a spare M monte carlo stock it's more like a M than a Sporter. Clear as mud right?
It's sad that the motto of young Americans isn't "live free or die" or "I regret that I have but one life to give for my country" or even "ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country". Instead their motto is "pee yourself, shelter in place and cry for help". Pathetic.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 12:57:20 PM »
On a side note: My hat's off to the CT State Police Sgt willing to offer an interpretation in writing  thumb1 

Nobody in authority in WA is willing to offer an interpretation of the changes to the state code made by the 13 month old Initiative 594, which really only affects transfers, but is so poorly written that it leaves everyone puzzled.

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 01:30:58 PM »
Well a Sporter and an M are the same exact gun, just with different stocks. So the response would still be valid.

I'm just surprised that he knew as much as he did about the SKS!

Offline Carl in CT

• Right Wing Extremist
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 01:54:46 PM »
SKSs are fairly popular in CT (and pricey) since the AK and all clones/variants have been banned since 1994. So they get a fair number of questions on them.

It's been my experience that the folks at the CT State Police Special Licensing and Firearms Unit are a good group. They aren't looking to screw anyone and they aren't in love with the laws enacted after Sandy Hook either. I have spoken to some of them on the phone and email and they are professional, helpful, courteous and truly want to help people avoid trouble, not leave them to fend for themselves and get in trouble by honest mistake.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 03:09:21 PM »
Sure its not Stockholm syndrome?   You know.... Sympathy to your captors because they are nice and whatnot.    rofl

Just messin

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Carl in CT

• Right Wing Extremist
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 03:56:10 PM »
Sure its not Stockholm syndrome?   You know.... Sympathy to your captors because they are nice and whatnot.    rofl

Just messin

Nah, these guys didn't pass the laws. More than one of them have said the jerks who did pass them never consulted with any of them (people who do know something about guns) and they think the laws are stupid. They just can't afford to lose their jobs so they do their best to help people navigate the laws and stay out of trouble.

Now, as far as the politicians, lawyers, lobbyists, etc who did get these laws passed, they are all lower than dirt and I will never have anything good to say about any of them.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 06:07:19 PM »
Now, as far as the politicians, lawyers, lobbyists, etc who did get these laws passed, they are all lower than dirt and I will never have anything good to say about any of them.

Likely you will never have to either...once they see that AFG, they will be running in terror to write new legislation.  cry1

It is nice that your law enforcement is trying it's best.  I called the local ATF office about a 922r question and they had no idea what I was talking about. Now, I am sure my risk is at least minimal...and I don't fear being seen in public with my bubba's for a shakedown.  Honestly, I almost am more concerned about restorations with mismatched imported parts.  One would think mismatched SKSs were illegally assembled right?

I have been on the verge of an AFG, I have the Magpul finger shelf thing on one of mine and like it. It is great that you got semi solid info you can at least have one. Montana's laws from what I have been able to find could likely fit on both sides of a business card...even in it's long winded legal jargon.  Still, I probably ougt to bite the bullet and get one before you are seen with yours and there is a price spike for that new evil featurish thing...that goes under. It's an election year Carl...be careful who sees it!  rofl

I wonder what legal implications would be involved with my dream AFG....that is split, yet solid...and allows for the use of a bayonet. :)