Author Topic: Custom DIY Receiver Sight....  (Read 10388 times)

Offline bullet308

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Custom DIY Receiver Sight....
« on: April 20, 2015, 10:14:38 AM »
Well, more of a custom receiver COVER sight...

This is my /26\ 11-million range rifle that I bought new-to-me (but very used by the PLA) way back in 1986, one of the first non-bringback guns in the US, AFAIK. My first centerfire rifle, it has been in many guises and worn many accessories of varying quality over the years, but I  still have all the matching SN parts for it.

The stock was very rough and oil soaked when I got it (something like an IO B-Grade gun today) so now it wears a Yugo stock I picked up. Also, wanting a receiver sight for it, not wanting to mod the gun permanently, and being poor, I fabricated this one. It is a piece of 1/2" square tubing with two stainless Nyloc nuts JB Welded inside of it, with a thumb screw modded to form the aperture and with two hardened bolts drilled and tapped into the back of a crappy old receiver cover made as part of a scope mount to hold it all together. All hardware is 10-32 TPI, which is both pretty rugged and gives me very fine elevation adjustment on the aperture. Everything it still in-the-white and very shiny. Overall, not bad for a prototype. BTW, the rear covers on these things are a BEAR to drill without a mill or good drill press...surprisingly hard. Will grind off whatever lugs on the top cover I dont use and refinish. Just thought I would share.  :-)

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Re: Custom DIY Receiver Sight....
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 10:33:20 AM »
Innovative! So can you screw the ring up & down to sight in? Pretty neat thumb1

Was wondering, since it is an early import, what does the import mark say & where is it at? I'm always interested in these early ones as it is a possibility some are IC's. Do you also have the original stock?

I like it! Improve your groups at all?

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 10:39:04 AM »
Pretty kewl...  glad you didn't screw with the original cover.  My only complaint about using techsights is having to remove the factory original takedown lever.  I surprised a company hasn't made a replacement cover with peeps on it.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 11:03:24 AM »
That's danged cool '308! I especially like how you have kept the original parts and made no permanent mods to the carbine.

Good job!

Offline bullet308

• Newber
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 11:04:52 AM »
Its probably one of the first Century Arms imports... "  CAI ST A VT  <line break> SKS 7.62 CHINA "   on the bottom of the barrel up front between the gas block and bayonet. I plugged all the relevant data into LooseCannons database the other day, but just now noticed the  "SKS 7.62 CHINA "  bit and so that is not in the DB.

"IC"s?

Have the original stock, cracked, very rough and rather fragile now that it is degreased (the grease seems to have helped hold it together :-p ). Really, looking at those Grade Bs and Cs at IO of late was sort of a deja vu moment for me...not too many rifles came in looking that rough between mine and these latest ones. It has always been a stone-reliable and accurate rifle, though.

After decades of owning all manner of ARs, FALs, Garand, M14s, on and on, a period of unemployment and poverty forced me to sell a whole lot of stuff, and this is, now as before, my primary fighting rifle in the event of something going really sideways in the world.

Just finished it. Hope to get on a range this week...and that I can find my front sight adjustment tool.  :-/

The aperture screws up and down for convenient elevation zeroing. Might work out some come-ups for different ranges, but for now I think I will just zero it for 200m and be happy.

The original cover is intact. I had picked up another original one and started to use it but DAMN those things are hard. My mill and lathe are over in my dads garage and are non-operational right now, and this stuff is a **** to do right with hand tools....

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 11:16:36 AM »
IC:

The Lebanon War, Israeli Capture SKS - Chinese SKS (Military) - SKS-FILES FORUM - Page 1 of 1

Seems like you may have one. Would be cool to see her in the original stock. IC's can be anywhere from ghost era to 12 mills, maybe even 13 mills

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 11:20:32 AM »
 :o

Worm needs you to put it back in its original state and take many clear daylight pics.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 11:29:04 AM »
:o

Worm needs you to put it back in its original state and take many clear daylight pics.

yes, worm asks politely for you to do so. And if you don't..  bat1

Offline bullet308

• Newber
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 11:45:42 AM »
Okay, how is this for starters?  Anything in particular you want closeups of?

The Izzy capture theory is interesting, and quite plausable...for one thing, I bought it at the same time from the same distributor that I bought my Israeli Mauser in  7.62 NATO...there was a lot of older IDF gear around at that point for cheap.

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 11:57:32 AM »
Sure looks like one of em', Thanks for the pics! I'm now interested in the serial number... Possible for me to get at least the first 5 numbers in serial if you dont want to give out the whole thing? We have one other possible 11 mill IC on record, wondering if the digits are close..

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 12:13:24 PM »
11,303,78X is the other

Offline bullet308

• Newber
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 12:17:47 PM »
Here 'ya go...

Note: the bolt also matches, and I have the matching mag box as well, though it is lost in my office at the moment...

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2015, 12:30:18 PM »
If it were me .....   I would put it back to original including the crossbolt and screw with something else.

Offline bullet308

• Newber
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 12:37:10 PM »
Well, whatever I do, my refuse-to-permanently-alter philosophy will definitely be a part of it. Will get the stock set back up with all the metal again as well. I have it around here somewhere...

Any idea what this thing might be worth at this point, or is this a market that has not fully developed yet?

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 12:49:51 PM »
Your gun was most likely captured by Israel from the PLO.  Its desirable to guys that know this, but only in its original state as imported.  Its likely valued in the $350 $400 neighborhood.  Put all that other stuff on it thats not original... not so much.

Offline bullet308

• Newber
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2015, 01:08:15 PM »
Interesting how specific serial number ranges correlate the way they do. Any ideas oh how much of the wear and tear we see on the guns were put on in Chinese service versus PLO service versus how the Israelis might have treated them after capture? Did the Chinese send out their high-mileage dogs or better stuff from war reserve?

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2015, 01:29:45 PM »
No way to tell, I would imagine a mixture of both new & used depending in the Aid-dates and year of manufacture of the rifles that were sent over.

Thanks for the pics man, great to add another serial to the collection.

Also, many of these were found with sand on the interior, caked to either the inside of the stock, or the receiver.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 01:44:53 PM by Worm »

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2015, 01:45:44 PM »
If it were me .....   I would put it back to original including the crossbolt and screw with something else.

+1 I would also, being what it is

Offline bullet308

• Newber
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2015, 01:49:54 PM »
Cant remember if it had sand in it or not, but I don't think so...that would have stood out to me, I think. I certainly cut enough sand out of Hakims and the like just a few years later...

I will definitely take care of her, though. She has served me well for this long....

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2015, 02:18:53 PM »
Good deal  thumb1 ya got a nice one there