Author Topic: Norinco B-West Sporter  (Read 6037 times)

Offline fyrwokr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Norinco B-West Sporter
« on: May 29, 2016, 10:21:24 PM »
Trying to fix a date to this rifle. Say's " Made in China by Norinco  B-West  Tucson  7.62x39 Sporter" Typical B-West stamps - Very hard to read. No arsenal markings in or out. Have had this for about 5 years. Haven't even shot it. Pinned barrel.  Serial number is 190004**. Trigger assembly numbers don't match, gas tube doesn't match, appears that all the rest do. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: Norinco B-West Sporter
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 10:36:06 PM »
Here you go.... Read this to get a better understanding of how the Chinese Type 56 are dated to the best of our ability.  http://sks-files.com/index.php?topic=360.0

It would appear your rifle was likely scrubbed at one point which could be why there is no arsenal stamp.  Its latest serial birthdate was 1974. 

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline padams8888

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 11:34:14 PM »
Just to the left of the serial number....is there what appears to be two lines of a triangle? And possible over stamps on the serial numbers?

« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 11:41:12 PM by padams8888 »

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 11:53:26 PM »
I think maybe they are just some grind marks Pat, I don't see a triangle there.  I do see that the '900' portion of the S/N appears to have been stamped over top of something else that didn't get fully scrubbed.  The second zero sure looks like it's over top of a zero itself (or possible the top of a 2, 3, 6, or 9). 

The pinned barrel with the earliest S/N I've found is on the 1970's stamped guns out of [0138].  By year 16 (1971), they are quite a bit more numerous at other arsenals.

It could be that this one was an earlier pinned variety that was scrubbed and completely overhauled in year 19 like LC says.  IT could also have been a year 19 carbine and during refurbishment the original S/N had to be scrubbed and restamped because of a very poor condition receiver.  Seems like a pretty plausible scenario. 

Nice looking carbine fyrwokr, welcome aboard.  thumb1

Offline fyrwokr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 01:24:49 AM »
Thanks guys. I did read the serial number info and figured mid 70's. There are numbers under the serial number and of course a few are slightly readable. I'll take a look with a loup and see if I can get a better idea. I looked at the receiver pretty hard earlier with natural light and lamp light and I can see no other markings. There are 2 marks on the bottom though. Thanks again for the help

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 04:28:08 PM »
That is a really nice looking SKS. Thanks for posting. Now go get that chrome-lined barrel and gas system dirty  :)

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2016, 11:35:37 PM »
That is a really nice looking SKS. Thanks for posting. Now go get that chrome-lined barrel and gas system dirty  :)

+1....and while getting it dirty make some photos and post it in a range report! We go Bat-dooky crazy over that kinda stuff  bouncecool1