Author Topic: Rare 89 Sporter  (Read 3865 times)

Offline Power Surge

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
Rare 89 Sporter
« on: July 21, 2015, 03:24:06 PM »
Just had a nice 5 hour round trip drive to pick this baby up. A rare 89 Sporter.

Most people see 92-93 Sporters, as they are way more common. The difference is the front of the rifle. The 92-93 Sporter uses the short gas system shared with the SKSS and the SKS-M, and a standard size front sight block.

The 88-89 Sporters use a standard length gas system, and a unique "Stubby" front sight block. This also makes the barrel 16", instead of 16.5" like all other short SKS. See the pic below for comparison to a 93 Sporter.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
Re: Rare 89 Sporter
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 03:41:05 PM »
Very cool...the stubby FSB is adoreable!

Offline XXXSKS

• HOT DAMN Commercial SKS EXPERT YeeeeeeeeHaaaaaa
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • AC/T84 "D" KS-30 MC-5D "M" NR Sporter 63 93
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 03:44:35 AM »
I live in one of the biggest gun markets in the country and I have never seen one in person. All of the pics in may collection came from Gunbroker. Where did you find this rifle?

8)........Joe
WELP ....................HORK SPIT........................

Offline Power Surge

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 10:05:35 AM »
I live in one of the biggest gun markets in the country and I have never seen one in person. All of the pics in may collection came from Gunbroker. Where did you find this rifle?

8)........Joe

Hey joe!  I actually found it on my local facebook gun trader page. But I do spend hours each night searching the dark corners of the net looking for rare sks's.  I did see another one not long ago on armslist.

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 12:46:13 PM »
  Cool find PS! I had no idea these even existed, as far as the stubby FSB is concerned. First time I've seen one or heard it mentioned. Any idea of how many of this type exist? Something else to keep my eye out for now.  ::)  Here I was thinking that my '92 Sporter had the "Sporter" slot filled.

You mentioned that the '88-'89 Sporters had the standard length gas tubes and stubby FSB's. Any idea about the reason for the change in '92 & up?

firstchoice

Offline Power Surge

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 02:31:09 PM »
  Cool find PS! I had no idea these even existed, as far as the stubby FSB is concerned. First time I've seen one or heard it mentioned. Any idea of how many of this type exist? Something else to keep my eye out for now.  ::)  Here I was thinking that my '92 Sporter had the "Sporter" slot filled.

You mentioned that the '88-'89 Sporters had the standard length gas tubes and stubby FSB's. Any idea about the reason for the change in '92 & up?

firstchoice

The SKSS was the experiment gun for the short gas system. Then it was carried over on the later sporter and the M.