Author Topic: MC-5D  (Read 3354 times)

Offline Power Surge

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
MC-5D
« on: July 15, 2015, 08:42:36 PM »
Just got my new MC-5D tonight. This is a pretty interesting gun.

MC-5D stands for Monte Carlo (stock) 5 round Detachable (mag)

This gun visually looks like an M. However, Ms are new manufacture, and MC-5Ds are supposedly re-arsenaled.

Upon inspection, I'd agree. My trigger group, receiver cover, and bolt/carrier are serial matched, and also show signs of scrubbing first.

Construction wise, this looks like a very late gun. Pinned barrel, rough finish on the rear sight block and gas block, and it has that serrated-line finish on the visible part of the barrel. The front sight block is one of the cleanest there is, with everything shaved off the bottom. Actually, it looks like it was made that way, and not shaved afterwards.

The really strange thing about this gun, is the AK mag release. Unlike all the other AK mag guns, this one has a modified stock mag release. If you look a the close up of it below, you can see that it's rounded as it goes up into the gun, and where the AK mag locks in. Supposedly the reason these guns were limited to 5 round mags, is because anything heavier tends to drop past that release on it's own. It's because of that rounded upper part. I can actually pull a seated mag right out by the mag. The tab on the mag just rolls out of that release.

What perplexes me about this, is why??  This gun was made in 93. AK mag SKS' had been out for years by then, with the proven AK release on the trigger group. Why change it?

It brings up an interested thought....   We never hear anything about where commercial guns are built. The only ones that have arsenal stamps are reused guns, (and some 94 Ms have a 416 stamp (etch)). Was this maybe a different arsenal getting into commercial production, thinking they could save a few bucks by reusing a stock trigger group instead of making the AK style one? Food for thought....

And now, on to the pics!

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: MC-5D
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 12:17:01 PM »
Hey PS,

Is the FSB even close to what a standard FSB looks like as far as height, width, and diameter of the barrel in front and the sight/barrel right behind the hood? I know the standard FSBs have dual pin holes, one on top pretty much right beneath the front sight post, and then another one at the bottom of the bayo mount.  Obviously, this one has no bayo mount or the second pin.  Is there any portion of the FSB that sleeves the barrel behind that front post, or is the front post and hood basically the entire FSB?  I'm struggling to determine if they took a traditional FSB, trimmed the entire aft end off flush with the hood and also trimmed off the bosses that hold the cleaning rod or if it could be an entirely different part. Seems like a totally different beast than what's up front on an M.

Offline Power Surge

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
Re: MC-5D
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 06:57:45 PM »
Hey PS,

Is the FSB even close to what a standard FSB looks like as far as height, width, and diameter of the barrel in front and the sight/barrel right behind the hood? I know the standard FSBs have dual pin holes, one on top pretty much right beneath the front sight post, and then another one at the bottom of the bayo mount.  Obviously, this one has no bayo mount or the second pin.  Is there any portion of the FSB that sleeves the barrel behind that front post, or is the front post and hood basically the entire FSB?  I'm struggling to determine if they took a traditional FSB, trimmed the entire aft end off flush with the hood and also trimmed off the bosses that hold the cleaning rod or if it could be an entirely different part. Seems like a totally different beast than what's up front on an M.

Good question RM....  Upon closer inspection, you are right... it is JUST the sight portion on the barrel. What you're seeing between the sight and the gas block is actual barrel. Neat :)