Author Topic: So if you saw a beat up Sporter in the LGS...  (Read 11075 times)

Offline Stoned_Oli

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
Re: So if you saw a beat up Sporter in the LGS...
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2015, 08:52:48 PM »
Woah, I did not expect that reply from PS!  He & GM are right though, there are tens of thousands of these things floating around.

Am I the only one who thinks Oli should take a second hard look at it?!?  doh1

He didn't say it was all outright bubba'd, just said the stock was scratched and would need a refinish.  $20 in supplies and a few hours of time should get it back to tip top shape I'd think.  If it could indeed be had for $400, I'd be looking her over pretty closely before I decided I think....  clap1 (how the heck did I get to be the cheerleader telling someone to give it another chance?  I'm always the guy that's telling people to hold off or walk away!!!) doh1

I am not really in the market for a Sporter in good shape... my aims were to find a poly stock thick enough to not need the liner. There is a guy on that other board that has a green one in his sig line, looks like a plastic M, that I kind of like...
I've actually been walking away from this one for months, and have no trouble keeping that up! It struck me as almost futzed enough to Bubba, but still in apparently functional shape with decent metal.
I also have a Yugo stock laying around, which would make it more my desired length and potentially be thick enough to use without the liner. That thumbhole stock is looooooooonnnnnnnnggggggg.
I have owned an M before and kind of liked it.
I think I will let this one lie for now though...

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2015, 01:51:32 AM »

He didn't say it was all outright bubba'd, just said the stock was scratched and would need a refinish.  $20 in supplies and a few hours of time should get it back to tip top shape I'd think.

A few hours,  naw man, time is money to me, a few hours to strip and then sit around buffing, stroking and polishing my wood............stock,  thats valuable time down the crapper I could be finding and unmolested example, putting that 20bucks of stripper and stock KY Jelly stain to use in ammo down range.  And for what, a one of 687,932 rifles imported, geez, thats like doing a frame up restore on a 97 Honda Civic.   Send me the 20bucks, give me a little time, and I'll just find ya one. thumb1 rofl2
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2015, 09:06:58 AM »
I dont trust admins without avatars.    bat1

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Stoned_Oli

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2015, 09:11:17 AM »

He didn't say it was all outright bubba'd, just said the stock was scratched and would need a refinish.  $20 in supplies and a few hours of time should get it back to tip top shape I'd think.

A few hours,  naw man, time is money to me, a few hours to strip and then sit around buffing, stroking and polishing my wood............stock,  thats valuable time down the crapper I could be finding and unmolested example, putting that 20bucks of stripper and stock KY Jelly stain to use in ammo down range.  And for what, a one of 687,932 rifles imported, geez, thats like doing a frame up restore on a 97 Honda Civic.   Send me the 20bucks, give me a little time, and I'll just find ya one. thumb1 rofl2

I would like a 1974 Datsun B210 hatchback...
I could go full Bubba and sell the stock...  fart1