Author Topic: Un-informed Question, Do I need a FFL03?  (Read 6946 times)

Offline likemeasks

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
Un-informed Question, Do I need a FFL03?
« on: December 17, 2017, 11:04:18 PM »
May be a dumb question but I need to know. I have come across a SKS at the local pawn shop that I believe is a former military issue. This one has a dark maple/coffee colored stock and the sling swivel is on the bottom. All externally numbers are matching. I can not find an Importer's marking anywhere on the carbine and I don't see NORINCO stamped anywhere either. It does have the spike bayonet and the Chinese 56 markings as well as the /26\ symbol. Seems to be in very good shape and no signs of Bubba having played with it. The shop says it was sold to them not brought in for loan collateral. They don't have any info on its background and say the former owner was approx. 30ish and said he had no need for it. I didn't want to show too much interest for fear that they may try to jack the price. Unfortunately for me I found this forum after the fact and don't remember any details of the serial number other than what I have already mentioned here. SO, better stated, my question is if this a mili. issue SKS and not a commercial carbine do I need a FFLO3 to legally own it?   

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: Un-informed Question, Do I need a FFL03?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 11:21:38 PM »
No.. technically it's not a C&R.

The handy thing about having a C&R, is the benefits one who is buying C&R eligible arms across state lines and avoiding FFL transfer fees.. It ships to your home and you log it in your own log book. I've had one for a number of years.

As for having to have a C&R to own a C&R weapon.. no, many people own Garands, Luger's, Mausers and a multitude of others with no license. It's like any other weapon then.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline likemeasks

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 11:57:02 PM »
Thanks for the timely reply GM.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 12:03:39 AM »
Yeah, you don't need a 03 license to buy a gun. Having one basically just let's you have an 03 qualified gun shipped directly to you when buying online rather then going through an ffl holder. There are a few other perks, but thats the main function.   Its technically called a 'curio and relic ffl03'

The import mark 'could' be small and located out on the barrel.... Possibly even obstructed by the cleaning rod and bayo.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 12:09:23 AM »
Any chance you could get a photo of the left side of the receiver for the forum to look at?  Just by looking at that should give a decent idea of what you're looking at. 

Price wise, anything w/o papers that not's one of the big three should never go for a premium.  If it's a Chinese type 56 in great condition $400 would be the absolute top limit and $300 would be even better. 

Welcome to the boards!  thumb1

Offline likemeasks

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 01:21:21 AM »
Actually, I plan to treat myself to a slightly early Christmas present if it is still there later today. As I mentioned I didn't want to look to eager till I had a chance to do research. From the info I did get about the guy that sold it to them I kinda hope it was a Vietnam war prize gun. 30ish aged guy that doesn't have use for a kinda rare SKS. Likely inherited the carbine from dad or grand dad that did Service to our Great Nation and brought it home. Either way would hate for it to fall to a Bubba that would just muff it up.

Charlie

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 07:15:57 AM »
Soooo...   Let's see it.   :)

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline likemeasks

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 12:17:12 AM »
I'm gona give it a try but I warn you I seem to always have trouble posting pics. I bought it Friday, $350, but weather and family needs have prevented anything other than these few pics. Keep your fingers crossed. Numbers match on receiver, bolt carrier and bolt, receiver cover, trigger guard, magazine, and gas piston. I don't find any numbers or stampings on the stock. gas tube, bayonet, cleaning rod or the cleaning kit. The inside of the stock has some carving out of wood. May have been set up to use an AK mag at some time. Still some cosmoline in the usual hard to reach places. Bore is dusty, likely has been a closet queen for the last few years. All in all if it shoots well I think I got a fair deal. Still a little confuser about no importers markings anywhere on the old girl.

Charlie

how do you upload a picture

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 12:37:36 AM »
1967. That could very well be a Vietnam bringback. You really need to break it down and peer at every part of the receiver and barrel. Nice SKS! You did well in my opinion  thumb1

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2017, 09:05:36 AM »
nice one Charlie, you did good.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Online Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2017, 10:38:34 AM »
Nice score there...it does fit right into the date range for the most common Vietnam bringbacks...even without papers, depending on where you are that is a pretty darn good price for a /26\ these days. Not having import marks is a bonus and a premium should you ever sell it. Not huge without papers documenting it's history...but still...folks in the know might respect the obvious nature of it with a little more cabbage.  Me personally would chalk it up as a keeper...and heirloom.

The upload image to post link below works pretty well, and doesn't have the hangups the common image hosting places do....so far, for disappearing images on boards like this that are utilized for historical reference.   It would be sweet to see more images of her.

Offline likemeasks

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2017, 11:23:49 AM »
Mucho thanks to all for the complements. It will absolutely become a keeper, and will get exercise often. In my area, South Louisiana, a SKS with wood and mismatched numbers all over at a gun show still gets marked at $300 plus. The once in a blue moon all matching including wood numbered and color match of stock and hand guard start at 400+. If I hadn't been so obviously shocked and showing desire when I first saw it I likely could negotiated it down to less than 300. The guys at this shop no me and give me more credit than I deserve as being some kind of collector guru. That's what I get for roaming the local pawn shops about every other month or so. Stayed up late last night after posting the picks and did a general take down and inspection. Only part left to inspect for numbers in the gas connector link. Didn't want to go for it as I was feeling a little drowsy at that point and was worried about finding it in-bedded in the TV if I missed catching it. Did run a few parches down the bore and it looks clean and "grabs" the patches good and tight so I don't have any problems there. Really the only thing more I could have wanted was for the stock to be numbered. BUT I'M STILL HAPPY AS A CAJUN WITH HIS BOUDIN AND CUSH_CUSH!!!!!!! More pics will be forth coming.

Charlie

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2017, 07:50:15 PM »
Looks good man...  Hows it shoot?

Online Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2017, 01:59:20 AM »
If you are referring to the op rod under the sight...it isn't serialed, and all you have to do is keep a thumb in front of the hole when releasing it...otherwise, you might end up with unwanted dents in things that didn't previously have them.  Hardened steel and a spring bouncing off hard surfaces makes it a joy to find both in remotely the same place too....ask me how I know.

I have nearly had to buy things at local pawn shops when inspecting those and not taking precautions. :))

Offline likemeasks

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2018, 05:49:09 PM »
Hello everyone, I'll have to admit I've been spending more time on the Romanian forum discussing the Rommy I traded for. I did post a bunch of picks of this /26\ SKS on the SKS Survey page but I don't know if those pics can be seen from this section of the forum. Close inspection after a complete take down and cleaning up did not reveal an Importers Stamping any where. The only thing that I question is the stock because of it not having any numbers stamped on it. Between my work schedule and the crappy weather down here I still have not been able to take Yang Child out for target practice but hope too soon. If it shoots as good as it looks, it has a home till the day I expire. My Son looks at it and drools so after I'm gone surely YC will have a warm place to live.
Mr. Admin, If the pics from the Survey cannot be seen here let me know and I'll post them on a thread in this forum. Or better still maybe you can move the whole thread to the Unaltered SKS/Chinese forums.

Charlie

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2018, 11:07:30 PM »
Hi Charlie,

No the survey and the forum are totally separate entities & I don't tend to cross pollinate them for fear of 'outing' someone who may wish to remain anonymous.    Feel free to post whatever photos you want.  Start a new thread in the Chinese section and I'm sure you'll get tons of feedback from the membership here.  thumb1

Offline likemeasks

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2018, 12:22:55 AM »
Ok RM,  I have one more shift on this rotation then some time off. I'll start the new thread in the Unaltered - Chinese section. I'll include pics that were placed in the survey and hopefully the weather down here will allow time to give a range report. Thanks for the help as well as all you guys do to keep the spirit of the SKS alive.

Charlie