Author Topic: ATTN: Need advice from SKS owners who have drilled & tapped for a scope mount...  (Read 3747 times)

Offline gjones314

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Please help... im in the process of trying to put a scope mount on my SKS... it sits in a tapco stock and im trying to mount the promag scope mount onto the reciever by drilling & tapping 4 holes ... i have seen a lot of ppl doing this on youtube but i need to hear about results... and troubles afterwards with bolt cycling or pressure changes or even  did the mount ever lose zero and any advice at all would be greatly appreciated...

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Are the mounting holes countersunk?

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline gjones314

• Newber
@Loose}{Cannon
the holes on the scope mount are countersunk but the holes on the reciver wld not be

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Ok, good....  Thats key for it to stay put.  I would suggest using double sided tape to position the mount EXACTLY where you want it and drill the outer two holes first, tap them, insert screws, then do the others.  Also...  Use the top horizontal axis of the receiver as a guide to leveling the position of the mount..... Use calipers to scribe a line where the bottom of the mount would be is one way..  notch the stock last, and get the scope LOW. 

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline gjones314

• Newber
That's spot-on advice thank you but I was mainly having concerns with running performance after I drilled and tapped everything and or if anybody had issues

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
That's spot-on advice thank you but I was mainly having concerns with running performance after I drilled and tapped everything and or if anybody had issues

All you need to do is make sure the screws are flush with the receiver on the inside, so the bolt carrier doesn't hang up on them.

There's nothing wrong with this method of attachment....  Navy Arms and other importers attached their scope mounts like this on thousands of rifles.

Now...I'll throw this questions out there before you do anything....   what kind of Chinese SKS do you have? Only because we'd hate to see you drill and tap something rare or valuable....

Offline gjones314

• Newber
@Power Surge- i have a yugo i just here a lot of negative stuff so im very sceptical about doing this