Author Topic: Trading a NIB SKSS paratrooper for a Type 84. Good idea?  (Read 355 times)

Offline MojaveDream

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Trading a NIB SKSS paratrooper for a Type 84. Good idea?
« on: January 19, 2024, 02:29:19 AM »
Hello everyone new here to SKS files, came here to ask since mostly everyone here knows what a navy arms type 84 assault carbine is. I have a trade offer for this t84 for my new in box SKSS para (short gas system) and all of its accessories. The bad news is the t84 does not have its serialized mags, missing the bolt hold open and the bolt and carrier are 2 numbers off from the rest of the gun. Is it common to have a mismatched bolt on an SKS? what could have caused it? would it hurt its value?

« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 02:37:41 AM by MojaveDream »

Online Papahound

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
Re: Trading a NIB SKSS paratrooper for a Type 84. Good idea?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2024, 09:13:22 AM »

Both are great rifles but I would think the boxed set would be worth more down the road as far as resale value  , have fun - enjoy !

Welcome to the Files  thumb1

Papahound

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2024, 09:15:52 AM »
My personal opinion, I'd hold out for a better example. The bolt hold open pieces are like nonexistent parts wise, the mags on this model are slightly modified Ak mags, getting them to work correctly isn't really an issue, the bayonet is missing, it's a shortened spike, again, not easy to find, but can be made.

To me.... not being a complete rifle fails it more than the number issue, especially if your giving a complete in the box matching set up for it. Yes, the Type 84 is one of the more uncommon commercial variants, but an in the box complete setup is to me more valuable than what amounts to a parts gun/gunsmith special.

This one is mine..

Bolt hold back
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2024, 09:45:13 AM »
Don't do it, you'll regret it. If you want a project buy the Type 84 outright and keep the SKS-S
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2024, 11:38:10 AM »
Agree with both GM and GG.  Keep the SKSS and another assault carbine in better condition will show up.

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2024, 09:57:38 PM »
Welcome and what the other dudes have said. The 84 is a parts gun, not beyond repair but it'll never be right from a commercial collectors point. Can you beat down the 84 price or was the trade the deal? PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline MojaveDream

• Newber
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2024, 06:58:54 PM »
Welcome and what the other dudes have said. The 84 is a parts gun, not beyond repair but it'll never be right from a commercial collectors point. Can you beat down the 84 price or was the trade the deal? PAX

It was the deal.

Offline Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2024, 11:41:53 AM »
Dont get bamboozled. : ) Keep your complete set . Those pictures of everything in the box is rare itself. Beautiful box set

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2024, 04:07:41 PM »
I see by uor handle you must be a desert dweller. Is that 84 local to you? PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798