Author Topic: Norinco Type 56S-1 Underfolder Pre-Ban pic heavy  (Read 4824 times)

Offline JSSKI

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Norinco Type 56S-1 Underfolder Pre-Ban pic heavy
« on: March 07, 2019, 12:08:11 PM »

A pre-ban early Nasi Midland Tx import PRC 7.62 Norinco import marks underside in front of the magazine, along the edges.  Without the camera have to use a magnifying glass to read it.  Otherwise it is practically invisible~ looks like faint scratch marks.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 12:23:08 PM by JSSKI »

Offline JSSKI

• Newber
Re: Norinco Type 56S-1 Underfolder Pre-Ban pic heavy
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 12:14:51 PM »

I read somewhere else from someone who was collecting info that the earliest NASI import he's seen was in the 32xxxx range.  No idea.

The double-hook trigger is light and crisp

Rifle is all-matching.  Should I take some fine steel wool and oil and lightly polish off the surface rust or leave as is?

Offline JSSKI

• Newber
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 12:19:18 PM »
You can just make out CHINA faintly along the bottom edge in front of the lower rivet.  Almost like they were trying to hide the import marks the way this and the bottom importer marks are so light and hard to see. I'm not complaining!

The muzzle is threaded and has a detent pin and has never been tack-welded.  Bayonet lug is still in place.

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 12:22:36 PM »
Beautiful. Idk what demon possessed me to get rid of my Chinese AK but I regret it like no other. Never let her go.

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 08:25:53 PM »
Sweet.
I have a Polish underfolder and a Romy fixed stock to play with.
I had a Norkie UF but I traded it for 5 pistols several years ago. It wasn't in nearly as nice a shape as yours.

Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 02:22:31 AM »
Excellent! Love seeing these Chinese beauties!   yahoo1  A 100rd. drum and your ready to plink!  shooting1  The pre-bans are a great investment. I wish I had all the ones that I had and sold!  cry1

My Armco-imported  AK47S-1 will never leave me while I still have the say-so.

You can pick up the bayonet for these fairly easy and cheap. I have to collect all the unnecessary clutter for these things.  senil1  thumb1 

I think you can get most of the surface rust off without marking the metal. Steel wool or chore boy should take care of the surface rust. Someone could refinish the metal finish back to the "brushed stainless"-look, if it matters to you. It shouldn't require a lot of work. The Bolt Carrier looks to be the only thing with the surface rust, so no rebluing is required. Just be careful not to buff so much that it affects the serial number crispness.  The blued parts are what I wouldn't want to alter if I was worried about original finish.

If I see it correctly, the slant brake looks to have some corrosion, so you might want to check the barrel threads and gas port to make sure there's no corrosion there. Corrosive ammo can sure mess things up if not cleaned up afterwards.

Thanks for taking the time to post your Type 56-1 Underfolder!

firstchoice

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 09:14:37 AM »
got a 10/63 and npap, an UF in on my want list. that's a beauty and thanks for sharing.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 03:21:35 PM »
Excellent! Love seeing these Chinese beauties!   yahoo1  A 100rd. drum and your ready to plink!  shooting1  The pre-bans are a great investment. I wish I had all the ones that I had and sold!  cry1

My Armco-imported  AK47S-1 will never leave me while I still have the say-so.

You can pick up the bayonet for these fairly easy and cheap. I have to collect all the unnecessary clutter for these things.  senil1  thumb1 

Look at that pretty waffle mag and assortment of ammo!
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline JSSKI

• Newber
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 08:02:46 PM »
You can pick up the bayonet for these fairly easy and cheap.

Way ahead of you, lol.  I ordered the bayonet before I picked up the rifle.

I used Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish with some wet dry sandpaper on the bolt carrier, just enough to remove the surface rust (most of it) and brown stain next to the serial # on the carrier and it came out nice.

compared to

and removed the surface rust on the bolt and on the backside of the charging handle
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 08:08:16 PM by JSSKI »

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2019, 08:04:38 PM »
Should I take some fine steel wool and oil and lightly polish off the surface rust or leave as is?

That is an absolute beauty!  thumb1

I'm firmly in the purist category, but I don't hesitate to clean rust off of operating parts, especially on any firearm I intend to shoot.

Offline JSSKI

• Newber
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2019, 08:10:50 PM »
I just slightly polished a good bit of the surface rust on the bolt carrier and bolt.  I am not going to touch any other part of the rifle.  Ran a bore snake through the barrel and almost got blinded when I shined a light up the chamber and looked down the shiney barrel, lol.

The tip of the barrel, the crown, has some pitting all around it so I polished that slightly as well and cleaned and oiled the barrel threads.

Kind of obvious a previous owner had fired some corrosive ammo through it and put it up wet but it's cleaned up well (the bolt and carrier) and is still tip top.  The bore is still practically brand new so at least they swabbed the barrel.

I ordered 2 Chinese "Flatback" AK mags to go with the rifle.

Is the folder stock supposed to fold up and over the top as well?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 08:22:29 PM by JSSKI »

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2019, 04:17:30 PM »
I just slightly polished a good bit of the surface rust on the bolt carrier and bolt.  I am not going to touch any other part of the rifle.  Ran a bore snake through the barrel and almost got blinded when I shined a light up the chamber and looked down the shiney barrel, lol.

The tip of the barrel, the crown, has some pitting all around it so I polished that slightly as well and cleaned and oiled the barrel threads.

Kind of obvious a previous owner had fired some corrosive ammo through it and put it up wet but it's cleaned up well (the bolt and carrier) and is still tip top.  The bore is still practically brand new so at least they swabbed the barrel.

I ordered 2 Chinese "Flatback" AK mags to go with the rifle.

Is the folder stock supposed to fold up and over the top as well?

Looks good JSSKI.

The Chinese mags are definitely the way to go on the Chinese AK's.  The only way I know to uprade for the Chinese is finding the Polytech 30rd steel mags with the chrome follower and 3 witness holes on the back of the magazine, instead of the one hole. A bit pricey, though.

A couple of crappy old pics of mine show the witness holes and chrome follower.

No, underfolding only on this stock design.

firstchoice