Author Topic: Info on rare model d  (Read 3102 times)

Offline Thor16

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Info on rare model d
« on: April 10, 2018, 10:18:37 AM »
Trying to get info and value on this norinco model d I believe. I was told it's a rare version that can take ak drums

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: Info on rare model d
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 10:59:56 AM »
As far as I know, there were no SKS-30s made at the factory & sold with AK drums.  It may be that this gun was tastefully modified here in the states long after import, but then again I'm not the commercial SKS expert here.

Do you have any of the original packaging?  A few close-up photos in natural lighting of the finish of the stock & handguard (and any differences there may or may not be between them) would be helpful as would a good photo of the import stamp and S/N prefix. 

Welcome to the boards.

Offline Thor16

• Newber
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 11:50:08 AM »
The importer is d.i.g I'll get more pics later

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 12:44:26 PM »
D.I.G. .... Delta Investment Group...
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 01:05:21 PM »
I have images of a nice a 29 mil D.I.G. imported SKS-30 that are quite similar to yours, minus the magwell modifications:

In a comparison of the two guns at the magwell, you can see where the metal mag liner was trimmed all the way to where the slotted flat head screw threads in on the front side: 

Offline Thor16

• Newber
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 01:38:32 PM »
So is this factory ? It looks factory done . And what's it worth ?

Offline Thor16

• Newber
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 01:46:52 PM »

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 03:29:27 PM »
So is this factory ? It looks factory done . And what's it worth ?

My opinion:  it's a nicely done bubba and not worth more than an unmodified example.  I'd say $600-$700 at auction.  In fact it may bring quite a bit less at a gunbroker auction if you have lots of purists looking.  All depends on the buyer.  Someone who wants to dump 75 rounds out of a drum mag might pay a bit of a premium for this gun as it looks light years better than most of the drum modified dremel jobs out there.

SKS-30s in excellent condition have been going well north of $1k with the box and all the original accessories recently.   

Offline Thor16

• Newber
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 03:58:56 PM »
You might be right but I'm not convinced. The wood just looks to nice for it not to be factory. I'll keep doing research might find more info .

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 04:35:35 PM »
Yeah, I'm on the other side of the coin: you need the original box with the styrofoam cutout showing where the original drum magazine would have gone (I wonder if it would have been serial number matched to this firearm?) before I'd even entertain that this was something that came in this configuration from China.  Many old ads from Shotgun News still exist too, if you could find one of those from '88 that shows this model for sale at the premium price it should have commanded, that would be good too.  If it was a true commercial variant and not done by an owner here in the states, you won't be the only one that still has one.  thumb1

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 06:58:43 PM »
The apparent one-off nature of this mag well modification together with the sanding and refinishing of the stock suggests a stateside alteration to me, but just my opinion.

RM's suggestion of looking for ads showing a drum modified version seems like a very good way (in the absence of the original box) of demonstrating that this was an original factory configuration SKS offered at some quantity, albeit rare.

Offline Power Surge

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 07:49:11 PM »
I just replied to your PM from this morning.

It's a DIG imported SKS-30, that someone has modded to accept AK drums. No SKS-30 ever came that way. Period.

As I mentioned in my PM reply, it looks like a nice rifle, aside from the stock modification. But at least it's the original stock, which is a plus.

I also valued that particular rifle at a max of $700. I would not pay any more for it. They are NOT rare, and there are plenty out there for sale. The nicer ones with original box and accessories are starting to bring well over a grand.

There are also build differences between the importers. Stripper clip groove vs no grove. New blank stock vs wood filled magwell stock vs metal filled magwell stock. Those build differences can make a difference in value to a hard core collector. Your rifle looks to have the wood filled magwell stock.

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2018, 03:58:03 PM »
Is it possible that Midwest Ordnance modified this D.I.G. import? They did offer this particular service. I doubt that they would have remarked the rifle as a M.O. firearm for just the drum magazine-capable modification. The modification was well done by someone that knew what they were doing. Just a possibility to throw out there. There were quite a few of the AK-magazine conversion SKS models converted to drum magazine-capable. Many were hatchet jobs, some were done quite well. I always thought that a non-matching stock should have been modified and save the original stock, well, for original configuation value's sake.

It's nice to see a D.I.G. import SKS-30 pop up. Not that many, as compared to the CSI's and the Beta Arms imports.

firstchoice

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2018, 11:14:39 PM »
Definitely a possibility FC.  This work was done on a mill by someone who knew what they were doing.  It's even possible that the magwell liner was removed, milled, maybe reblued, and then reinstalled.  You would think that if MO did this work, they would have stamped their name somewhere on it though.  I know I would want to sign my name had I put in the hours needed to make these mods.