Author Topic: Afghan Captured AK's  (Read 1872 times)

Online Shoot The Refurbs

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
Afghan Captured AK's
« on: July 04, 2020, 04:34:56 AM »
Well I had previously mentioned in some posts about some AK's we had captured overseas and I just didn't think to take more pictures, and the only one I had was of course with me and a buddy clearly pleased with what we thought would be a comical slightly homoerotic pose..... we'll just ignore that and look at the AK's.......  :-X
I just got off the phone with one of my soldiers from deployment and fortunately, he did think to take a few more pictures. If I get more I'll add them when I get them.
Thankfully they're pretty good resolution so they blow up pretty clearly when you expand the images. For the AK guru's, I think I know which ones are which but it wouldn't hurt if you could draw it out in crayon for a dumb grunt like me  :)
Enjoy.

The Russian on the wall is not the same as the one pictured later, note the holes in this ones gas tube. This one is a Tula, I cannot remember if it was from 61' or 63'
The bubba did not give the reliable feel to it that the other ak's had, mostly because everything the shooter holds wobbles so greatly, the lower handguard is NOT in fact one of those designed for an AK and was an M4 handguard connected (poorly) by a single screw. The rear stock you can see the wood screw sticking out at an angle where they poorly installed the stock, there are a myriad of things about that rifle that would take far longer to list but yeah, it was not the AK I gave to my favorite terp when a VBIED blew up on CECP1 and we had to start handing out guns to the APPF for the possible follow on assault from insurgent fighters.

Just looking at the Ak's and ignoring that fact that STR (left) is a complete window licker. (same Izzy as pictured below)

62' izzy

I told him I would take out his face but I was keeping his weak hairline in there.  :)

In the white and beautiful as anything I've ever seen.  :o

Well other than maybe this bonus picture of the Afghan sunset

Kind of a side note
So I've gotta ask the question all the 'barracks lawyers' on deployment were trying to figure out, and the one argument that phone call reignited. the question is; Hypothetically, if that same gun was magically teleported to the US, because it was pre-1968 would it fall under the pre-68' legalities? my thought was that there's no way it wouldn't need to have some documentation on it or else people could build whatever they wanted on an old receiver and claim it's just a pre 68'. not to mention people could just as easily make a receiver with an old date on it and age/patina it with acid solutions etc.
The backstory on this is, We heard stories about the invasion times and soldiers smuggling back loads of Russian AK's, and I pointed out without the paperwork it wouldn't be like you could sell it legally for its historic or legal value so it wouldn't carry the same cash value, but he was adamant in PNN tales he had heard people were selling them under the pre68 law and made insane money. What's the real skinny on this if anyone knows?

-STR

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
Re: Afghan Captured AK's
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 05:08:14 AM »
Great photos, very very cool! Hopefully those were captured without taking any fire. I'd love to own anyone of those. I'm assuming they are all full auto so I'm going to assume that it's not that simple to bring one back, if at all, like back in the day.

Appreciate you getting more photos to let us dream and drool!  drool2 drool2 drool2

I'm not an AK guy (cause I'm still a "student") so I can't have much fun trying to ID. I'm guessing their are 2 Russian and I'm only going by rivets for that guess. I'm also willing to bet I'm wrong.

Online Shoot The Refurbs

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 05:18:03 AM »
Great photos, very very cool! Hopefully those were captured without taking any fire. I'd love to own anyone of those. I'm assuming they are all full auto so I'm going to assume that it's not that simple to bring one back, if at all, like back in the day.

Appreciate you getting more photos to let us dream and drool!  drool2 drool2 drool2

I'm not an AK guy (cause I'm still a "student") so I can't have much fun trying to ID. I'm guessing their are 2 Russian and I'm only going by rivets for that guess. I'm also willing to bet I'm wrong.

You are correct, there are only 2 Russians there for certain, and all the ones i fiddled with were full auto. Also, you'd have to sneak it back in your own shipment of guns back to the US, which apparently was possible back in the day but today, GL  chuckles1

Offline Weldrdave

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2020, 09:02:05 AM »
Awesome pictures!  I've never been where you are standing but have made my trek around the Med a couple times on a "tin can"!  God bless you guys!!!   Those AK's are to drool over...  8)
USN/USCG (retired) Chief.
God created man; Sam Colt made them equal!

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2020, 10:47:12 AM »
enjoyed the cool pics, thanks. so what happened with all those ak's?
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Online Shoot The Refurbs

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2020, 04:14:17 PM »
enjoyed the cool pics, thanks. so what happened with all those ak's?
To my knowledge they're still there in that ECP hanging on the wall. We uh...don't like to give them guns or ammo until we really have to, cuts down on getting shot in the back a lot.   shooting1 read1

Offline newchi

• Marksman
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2020, 04:25:15 PM »
What was the date range  and country of origin mostly?

Online Shoot The Refurbs

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2020, 04:54:18 PM »
This was not a huge cache of weapons, mostly just from individuals who are no longer available to comment on how they came into US possession.  :-X
I think it was a pretty even spread, 2-3 each russian's, romy's, yugo's.
The Russians are the only ones I'd personally be able to identify the D.O.M. since it's stamped right there, I was actually hoping some of y'all could help me with the others as i'm certainly no expert there.

Online Bubbazinetti

• MAGA Patriot
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2020, 10:07:59 PM »
Getting back to your hypothetical question,the answer is no.The NFA registry was closed permanently on May 19,1986.Nothing is transferable after that regardless of when it was made or how early it was brought back as a war trophy,even if you have paperwork.If found the federales will confiscate it,round up a case or two of ammo,invite some buddies for some afternoon shootn' fun.When done it will immediately get cut up with a cutting torch or saw and disposed of.No museum trips.
https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/national-firearms-act

When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

Online Bubbazinetti

• MAGA Patriot
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2020, 10:23:46 PM »
Those AKMs sure look like wall hangars being in the white.I'll bet the climate was so dry that they couldn't possibly ever rust.It's amazing in a way how much abuse they took and still managed to function.Did you encounter any home shops where they made their own guns from scratch?I remember reading about those folks in the Khyber Pass region eons ago.
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

Online Shoot The Refurbs

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2020, 12:56:10 AM »
Those Ak's were still fully capable of taking life, and I never encountered any home made weapons myself, only other thing I saw as capture was an M44 they obtained long before I got there, All the other weapons cache's etc we found on ops we just blew up, mostly just rockets, rpgs, and ied's they put in boxes so they dont accidentally trigger them.
-STR

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2020, 10:11:00 AM »
Those Ak's were still fully capable of taking life, and I never encountered any home made weapons myself, only other thing I saw as capture was an M44 they obtained long before I got there, All the other weapons cache's etc we found on ops we just blew up, mostly just rockets, rpgs, and ied's they put in boxes so they dont accidentally trigger them.
-STR

I'm not sure if I posted this somewhere else but IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THIS WATCH IT. I posted here because of what STR replied (I highlighted red).

At about the 1:13 mark listen to what the narrator says Chapman was facing from the bunker.

Not trying to hijack the thread with this. I just think it's relevant to the discussion.

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2020, 02:00:15 PM »
I've seen that video before.
We have some truly amazing people in our military.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7