Author Topic: Dad's Old Marlin 30-30  (Read 8917 times)

Offline Misterdevan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
Dad's Old Marlin 30-30
« on: March 29, 2019, 12:50:22 PM »
So it's been a while since I last got this old girl out and, as a result, I misspoke when I referred to it as a Glenfield 30A.

It is not and I feel a but sheepish.

It is a Marlin 336, of course, but it is a JC Higgins Model 45 from Sears. I believe it was gifted to my father for his 16th birthday in 1959, which would match the "S" stamp from Marlin.

I gave it a quick clean up and was surprised by how pretty she still is. The bore looks brand new, the action's butter smooth, and it just feel right at home on the shoulder.

I had planned to sell it and use the funds to pick up a Model 92 clone in 45 Colt, but I'm thinking that I'd have a really hard time parting with it. Between all the Michigan deer it's taken and the family history, I think I should keep it around for my kids.

upload images

Offline Misterdevan

• Cadet
Re: Dad's Old Marlin 30-30
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 12:54:20 PM »
Pardon the multiple posts. The IMGBB service crashed me a couple times when I was trying to get them all up at once.

Offline Misterdevan

• Cadet
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 12:56:58 PM »

Offline Misterdevan

• Cadet
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 12:58:20 PM »
Alright, last post...

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 12:59:33 PM »
I would hold onto it too, given its family history. I can't see any images. The link only takes me to imgbb's home page, the next post is blank.

Edit: must’ve been my work firewall settings, I see them fine at home.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 06:29:47 AM by Phosphorus32 »

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 01:03:09 PM »
That's a beauty MrD, really nice example there.  I love the action on these, dirt simple and actually quite robust when all is said and done.  You don't have half the guts falling out like when you cock a Winchester 94.  I had a 336C from the 70's that I bought at a gunshow when I was in college way back when.  I think I paid $200 for it which was a ton of money to me at the time.  I loved that gun but I gave it to a good friend of mine about 10 years ago after he did some heavy machinery work with his backhoe, taking out a huge 60 year old concrete pad in my back yard. 

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 01:03:56 PM »
I would hold onto it too, given its family history. I can't see any images. The link only takes me to imgbb's home page., the next post is blank.

Weird Jon, I see all the images just fine... think1

Offline yellowjacket

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 01:05:24 PM »
That’s a classic!  Hang onto it for sure.  The gang over on MarlinOwners would love to see those pics.

Offline Misterdevan

• Cadet
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2019, 01:50:38 PM »
Thanks, gentlemen. I need to figure out if it's possible to take decent bore pics. This thing is remarkable, given the amount if time it's spent in the brush.

Running-man, I hear what you're saying about the Winchesters. My brother has my Dad's old Model 92 in 32-20 and I remember being legitimately frightened the first time I ever opened the action. Thought I'd broke it somehow for a split second.

I dont much care for the rattly buckhorn rear sight, so I may upgrade it to an aperture like a Williams or a Redfield. Other than that, I intend to just take care of it and get it out onto the field now and then.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2019, 02:34:30 PM »
drool2 Glenfield/JC Higgins, it's still a Marlin.  thumb1 :) I've become a big fan of levers.  banghead1

If it a '59 it's probably got the microgroove rifling like my ugly beastie Glenfield.. I think Marlin went to that style rifling in '56. Would I sell it for a Winchester, naw... I would probably just go get a Winchester, now a Henry on the other hand.... that would require some serious deliberation... I do like the smoothness, well, everything about a Henry.

I wasn't crazy about a scope on a lever, and it's harder to scope a Winchester.... but after some shooting.. I found these two really get along, especially with the Leverevolution ammo, you can stretch it out a little more.. and I can still use the open sights if needed.

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2019, 04:55:00 PM »
Maybe I'm the only Winchester fan, BUT....that's a beautiful rifle.

Another vote for keeping it and passing it down. You might want to document the family history so that future generations have it.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2019, 06:59:05 PM »
a family heirloom and its a beauty.   thumb1 thanks for sharing. i have a 22 LR (higgans from sears too)that i got as a kid around the same time as your dad. will pass it down to one of my kids too. :)
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Misterdevan

• Cadet
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2019, 07:00:57 PM »
I have heard very good things about the Leverevolution rounds. I will have to look into it.

You are correct on the rifling, as well. Seems that there was a bit of uncertainty about which is better, but I dont think the deer were ever consulted. The 336 in 30-30 wouldn't be near as popular if it wasn't a good tool for the job.

I think it's about the only lever gun that I can tolerate with a scope. And yours is a good looker.

Offline Misterdevan

• Cadet
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2019, 07:04:45 PM »
Excellent! I love a 22lr. I have my dad's old Revelation 100A, which is a Mossberg 321, IIRC. Single shot bolt action with a real muddy trigger. Shoots real straight, though.

He used to rabbit hunt with it. Told me a couple tricks, too.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2019, 08:55:45 PM »
I have heard very good things about the Leverevolution rounds. I will have to look into it.

You are correct on the rifling, as well. Seems that there was a bit of uncertainty about which is better, but I dont think the deer were ever consulted. The 336 in 30-30 wouldn't be near as popular if it wasn't a good tool for the job.

I think it's about the only lever gun that I can tolerate with a scope. And yours is a good looker.

What I was always told and read the microgroove barrels are good for jacketed bullets, where the ballard rifles perform well with cast lead. I've never seen enough difference between the two, to swear if one is better or worse. In the end, a deer knows one thing, it's better to be alive.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2019, 09:50:25 PM »
Love the 336.    thumb1

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline yellowjacket

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2019, 10:33:33 PM »
A little confession... after a slight recovery from the SKS flu, I caught Marlinitis pretty bad.   Two .35 Rem JM 336’s and a .30-30 XLR (JM) later , I almost emptied my SKS locker.  8)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 12:13:52 AM by yellowjacket »

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2019, 10:53:53 PM »
A little confession... after a slight recovery from the SKS flu, I caught Marlinitis pretty bad.   Two .35 Rem JM 336’s and a .30-30 XLR (JM), I almost empties my SKS locker.  8)

Theres no shame in that..levers are addicting.. thumb1

Henry in .45-70

Marlins are addicting too... chuckles1 and another Henry thumb1, 44Mag Henry Golden Boy octagon barrel, 9mm Marlin Camp 9, 45acp Marlin Camp 45, and a .357 1894 (JM) Marlin

Offline yellowjacket

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2019, 12:16:49 AM »
Grease, very nice!  Jealous of that 1894 .357.  Want one but not sure I want to afford it.

Offline Misterdevan

• Cadet
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2019, 07:03:47 AM »
Grease, good info on the rifling. I may compare at some point, but I haven't seen much of the non jacketed ammo in a while. It'd be a fun reason to look.
Beautiful collection, also. I have not had the pleasure of shooting a Henry yet. I hear almost universally good things about them.