Author Topic: I was bored...  (Read 1158 times)

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
I was bored...
« on: June 29, 2022, 06:06:03 PM »
This is what happens when you get bored and you have 'stuff' laying around. :o :P :)

So, I had an SKS action I cut/crowned the barrel then got one of P50's FSBs. Next I had an old Ultralite folder that the butt stock had broken and was missing so I used parts from one of my folding adapters for the Tapco stock and this is how it ended up. Don't think I'd ever do it again, but I did get my itch scratched and the stock is at least useful again and it was cheaper than buying another stock.

My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline lowell66dart

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Marksman
Re: I was bored...
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2022, 06:58:45 PM »
Nice job GG.
I have to grow old but I don't have to grow up...

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2022, 07:11:26 PM »
Thanks Lowell. I'm thinking the butt stock is too long for the setup though. I may need to find me a plain old cheap M4 stock.

Took quite a bit of nibbling away at the back of the stock and grip to get it to feel right in the hand and look decent with the adapter. Don't have the tools I used to so it's a bit rougher than I would like to see, but at least it tells me those stocks are salvageable if desired.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2022, 08:28:48 AM »
Interesting look.  The FSB makes it look good.  I wonder what it would look like cut back another inch or so and having a flash suppressor/muzzle brake added.  Nice job thumb1.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2022, 09:28:27 AM »
Interesting look.  The FSB makes it look good.  I wonder what it would look like cut back another inch or so and having a flash suppressor/muzzle brake added.  Nice job thumb1.

I've done that in the past on barrel cuts, but don't have the tools anymore. I just thought of a name for it...I call it my 'Faux-K' because it's 'okay', but it's NOT a real AK rofl rofl dance2

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2022, 01:14:49 PM »
That looks clean with the bare barrel at the muzzle end and the front sight pushed up against the gas block. I had to look it up...those Bullet Button brand front sights aren't cheap. Are they slide on and clamp down with a hex screw?

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2022, 04:07:42 PM »
That looks clean with the bare barrel at the muzzle end and the front sight pushed up against the gas block. I had to look it up...those Bullet Button brand front sights aren't cheap. Are they slide on and clamp down with a hex screw?

Yeah, I like it better that way than out front. Darin (Prince50) is who makes them and his wife Cheryl does the sales. He gives a pretty good discount for es K es boards members  :)
They are well made and come complete with barrel and post (proprietary). Center barrel then lock down with a set screw, slide on and clamp down with socket head bolt, line up and zero in then there are 2 small set screws to lock it into place on the barrel to retain zero. This is Gen 3 IIRC and much better than the Gen 1 I had bought years back.

Offline 1mlt

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2022, 04:33:31 PM »
Very clean GG. Looks nice. Will pack well under your raincoat also. I'm not fond of the "folders". But hey, as they say    ...   different strokes    ....
There is but one language in the USA, English.
Teddy R.

Offline Papahound

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2023, 08:17:10 PM »

Very nice - looks good  clap1

Offline Hylander

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber