Author Topic: Had to have it.  (Read 6078 times)

Offline MEBears

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Marksman
Had to have it.
« on: March 17, 2015, 02:15:40 AM »
I've been watching the gunsnammo site for a while thinking about getting an M39. She's had a few late sixties rifles lately and I couldn't pass up a 1968. I can't find anything definite on these rifles but it looks like around 6,000 were made with left over parts. One source said they were assembled by Sako but didn't have anything to back it up. One theory is that these were used for officer marksmanship training but again no one is really sure. This was built on a 1905 Izhevsk receiver with a mix of early Tula and Izhevsk parts and a Remington bolt body. The stock is a post war with the square joints and the butt has been reinforced. I put some comparison pictures up to show the improved sights and much thicker stock. It has been shimmed and the pistol grip is a nice improvement. The inside of the receiver has been polished and the bolt is butter smooth. It also has the Finn "jam free mod" on the magazine. You can't see it but the trigger has two pins inserted for the sear to ride on and for some reason the extractor has been blued.  To me it sort of looks like a M91 and K31 hooked up and this is the result. I can't wait to get it out to the range. I think even R-M could love one of these :)

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: Had to have it.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 09:30:36 AM »
Nice piece!  thumb1

My M39s instantly became my favorite Mosins, both for form and function. It's great that yours retains the shims. Should be an excellent shooter!

Offline John Galt

• Jack of all trades…Master of none!
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 10:02:47 AM »
WOW!!!! drool2 drool2 thumb1

John Galt
When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."
Rudyard Kipling  1919

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 11:49:35 AM »
Nice a 1968, thumb1

I have read, Finland and Switzerland both being involved with shooting competitions, the Finnish kind of modelled the M39 after the K11/K31 rifle. Much like the K31, you can sometimes alter the POI by tightening or loosening the barrel bands, more or less tuning it. The trigger your describing is a typical M39 trigger, the only one better would be the M27/M28. It's not the last evolution in Mosin design, or the last produced, Finland was constantly improving it.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 04:29:37 PM »
What a fascinating rifle, awesome!

Offline MEBears

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 05:28:38 PM »
Cool, I hadn't read that about the barrel bands. I'll keep that in mind when I get finally get to shoot it. This one has brought on a relapse of Mosinitis. I'm thinking a 28/30 should be next.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 05:37:20 PM »
Go all out Finnish....M28/76 :)  I keep hoping and praying the Finn TKIV 85, Mosin based rifle gets imported., but alas, my dream is slowly fading.

Offline MEBears

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 08:08:23 PM »
That is a sweet rifle! I saw a M28/76 on GB last week. It ended up going for the opening bid of $699 which I thought was pretty good. If I hadn't just bought this I would have seriously considered it.

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 01:24:34 PM »
nice, thanks for sharing.  8)
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 11:10:23 PM »

The inside of the receiver has been polished and the bolt is butter smooth.

I think even R-M could love one of these :)

Not you too MB!?   doh1

So you're saying I don't need a small mallet to cycle the action on one of these puppies?!  explode1  chuckles1

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 12:21:42 PM »
To cure most sticky bolt issues on the average Russian M91/30, repeat after me:

I will clean the Cosmoline out of my chamber                    I will clean the Cosmoline out of my chamber                    I will clean the Cosmoline out of my chamber
Finnish M39's are in a class that defies their Mosin heritage.  GM, I love that M28/76 but you're right, it sure doesn't look promising for a TKIV 85

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 12:48:29 PM »
To cure most sticky bolt issues on the average Russian M91/30, repeat after me:

I will clean the Cosmoline out of my chamber                    I will clean the Cosmoline out of my chamber                    I will clean the Cosmoline out of my chamber
Finnish M39's are in a class that defies their Mosin heritage.  GM, I love that M28/76 but you're right, it sure doesn't look promising for a TKIV 85

This sticky bolt issue bat1 bat1, really gets old..it's very simple,  If'en you need a hammer or 2x4 to open your bolt after firing bat1, learn how to clean your chamber better.

I will say this, none of mine have ever suffered sticky bolt, whether or not it's a rare Finnish or a common run of the mill refurb. This is how I learned to do it and it's a very easy procedure....

Take a 20 gauge shotgun bore brush, brass bristle preferred, wrap it lightly with oooo size steel wool, you can coat that with JB bore paste or a cleaner of your choice, mount this on a cheap section of shotgun cleaning rod, chuck the rod in a power drill and then drill it slowly and slightly back and forth in the chamber for about a minute or two? If it's a real difficult case, reapply your choice of cleaner, and hit it again. Now don't go hog wild and try to shove it up in to the rifling, but hey, it's yours.. Then, just clean the rifle as normal. This should remove any and all traces of any casing lacquer, burnt, stuck on powder residue from split cases and or burrs that may be present. 9 times out of 10, you could also be rewarded with a smoother operating bolt as well.

My many Mosins have eaten many nations ammo, from Albania, Czech, Russian, Romanian to Hungary and Bulgarian, light ball and heavy, to even the boutique bla bla non-corrosive retail stuff, and I have yet to experience sticky bolt using the above procedure above once and a while.

Offline MEBears

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 03:37:21 PM »
Nope, no mallets required. :) Like Phosphorus and Greasemonkey said, "If it's sticky, clean the darned thing."