Author Topic: 1st M1 Carbine  (Read 4138 times)

Offline CARBINE

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
  • Ижевск карабины король
1st M1 Carbine
« on: November 19, 2014, 01:10:16 PM »
I am looking at this M1 carbine made by inland gm here are the very few crappy pics, I don't know much about them what can you tell me and how much is it worth?

Thanks Guys

“If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn’t sit for a month.” - Theodore Roosevelt

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: 1st M1 Carbine
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 01:39:03 PM »
I've got nothingI don't own n M1 carbine.  Blicero is your best bet, but we all know he's probably passed out in a gutter somewhere dressed in nothing but leather pants and feather boas.

I found a couple of sites that seem like they know what they're talking about:
U.S. Carbines during the American Occupation
Deep in there it shows that the rear sight on yours looks like a late stamped adjustable rear sight. 

Also looks like a 1st style barrel band with no bayo lug on it (not sure what that necessarily means, but I think it's important.)

Here's a sheet that talks about 5 million Inlands.  Looks like its an early to mid 1944 mfgr.

Offline CARBINE

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
  • Ижевск карабины король
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 02:02:07 PM »
I've got nothingI don't own n M1 carbine.  Blicero is your best bet, but we all know he's probably passed out in a gutter somewhere dressed in nothing but leather pants and feather boas.

I found a couple of sites that seem like they know what they're talking about:
U.S. Carbines during the American Occupation
Deep in there it shows that the rear sight on yours looks like a late stamped adjustable rear sight. 

Also looks like a 1st style barrel band with no bayo lug on it (not sure what that necessarily means, but I think it's important.)

Here's a sheet that talks about 5 million Inlands.  Looks like its an early to mid 1944 mfgr.

Thanks RM, I don't own one either but that site looks like it has a lot of info on them, I will have to start reading up.
“If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn’t sit for a month.” - Theodore Roosevelt

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 02:31:03 PM »
Probably arsenal refurbed or possibly re-stocked by a previous owner. The stock has all late features: low wood, 4 rivet handguard, oval sling cutout. Other late features are the rotary safety (not push button), stamped rear sight.  It's surprising that they didn't update the barrel band in the refurb, which is why I question if it was done by a private owner.  It also has a Winchester recoil plate (W), which it wouldn't have had coming off the Inland line.  Does it have a P on the front side of the pistol grip indicative of a refurb (a P on the bottom of the pistol grip is just a proof mark).  Refurbs aren't bad in my opinion, just not a top dollar all-correct carbine.  The cartouche looks a bit worn, could be a light strike or worn but also look for signs of sanding.  Who is the barrel maker?  Should be on top just behind the front sight, often (but not always) with a month and year stamp as well.  Given the date ranges for this Inland SN block, the barrel date can help you determine if it is likely the original barrel or not.  An Inland stock would most commonly be marked OI in the inlet for the sling on the left side.

Given the refurbishment, I'd call it a shooter and I'd be mostly concerned with the bore and other functions.  The Inland being the most common manufacturer of carbines, I would say $600-700 (with a little wiggle on either end) for a shooter grade Inland with a good bore. 

Also, I own a grand total of one shooter M1 carbine, so take my "expert" advice with a grain of salt  :o  I think they're fun to shoot and rich in history.  :)

Offline Blicero

• Always plays Bf8
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Hermann Goering is my copilot
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 08:07:27 AM »
Inland was the biggest manufacturer so they're the most common & least expensive m1s to find. I like that it has the early barrel band- without the bayo lug it really gives it the original feel, even with the other postwar upgrades on it. Not that it should affect your decision, but ask the seller about the maker's mark on the stock, in the sling well on the left side. I like a correct manufacturer stock on my carbines, but yours looks like a postwar replacement rebuilt by the OD. Looks like a nice honest Inland, anything up to $800 should keep your interest.
"I reject your suggestion."
-Ramcke

"You would last about an hour in Charlotte before the police were called bc you were walking around outside with a bottle of scotch and a g43."
-Ty O

"I don't appreciate you showing Nazi images. My old lady's granddad died at Auschwitz."
"I'm sorry to hear that..."
"Yeah...he fell off a guard tower."
-You Know How I Get Thomas

Regional Spelling Champoin, 6/6/2012

"Why the hell does it look like you turned into some weird trendy libtard?"
-LooseCannon

Offline CARBINE

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
  • Ижевск карабины король
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 05:59:44 PM »
Thanks for the info guys! Very much appreciated.

Offline Blicero

• Always plays Bf8
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Hermann Goering is my copilot
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 07:32:45 PM »
Are you buying it?
"I reject your suggestion."
-Ramcke

"You would last about an hour in Charlotte before the police were called bc you were walking around outside with a bottle of scotch and a g43."
-Ty O

"I don't appreciate you showing Nazi images. My old lady's granddad died at Auschwitz."
"I'm sorry to hear that..."
"Yeah...he fell off a guard tower."
-You Know How I Get Thomas

Regional Spelling Champoin, 6/6/2012

"Why the hell does it look like you turned into some weird trendy libtard?"
-LooseCannon

Offline CARBINE

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
  • Ижевск карабины король
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 08:30:18 PM »
Its still in the works but probably.