Author Topic: Model 1903 Mark I  (Read 5582 times)

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Model 1903 Mark I
« on: October 09, 2016, 10:13:09 PM »
Picked this up from a small auction a few weeks ago. I've been wanted to add an M1903 and took a gamble on this Mark I.  I actually tossed in a low ball bid the day before and walked away. A bit surprised to find I had won it.

Anyhow, the Mark I is an interesting variant of the M1903, modified in a number of ways to accommodate the "US Automatic Pistol Cal .30 Model of 1918", aka the "Pedersen Device".  The Pedersen Device was an insert that substituted for the standard bolt to generate a semi-automatic rifle firing an over-sized pistol round for rapid fire in trench clearing warfare of WWI. By the time these were ready to be deployed in numbers, WWI had ended.

The modifications of the rifle that constitute the Mark I designation are a cutout in the left receiver rail that served as an ejection port for the spent cartridges, a corresponding notch in the stock, a special magazine cutoff, and a special sear/trigger assembly.  Most of the Mark I rifles were converted back to M1903 configuration (except for the markings and receiver rail cutout) in the 20's. My example is missing the trigger and sear but has the other parts.  I will not be picking up a Pedersen Device, as most were destroyed 90 years ago and the few survivors fetch 30-50K, or somewhere in that stratospheric neighborhood, depending on accessories, magazines, condition, etc.  :o

The stock has seen some hard use and the bolt is an earlier 90 degree type, rather than the slightly swept back bolt handle that would be appropriate for the later manufacture of the Mark I's. The barreled receiver and stock is likely original, as well as the magazine cutoff. Other parts beside the bolt appear to be replacements. It's interesting that whatever refurbishment that was done skipped the magazine cutoff replacement.

The bore is very good, .300 across the lands, as you can see from the muzzle erosion gauge. It's a very nice shooting rifle with its narrow blade front sight. It's just a nice bonus that it's a bit more collectible than the average M1903  :)

UNDER THE HOOD

Offline Blicero

• Always plays Bf8
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Hermann Goering is my copilot
Re: Model 1903 Mark I
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 11:58:09 PM »
Oh please, you must get a Pederson device now. You paid your monies, you might as well take your ride  :)
"I reject your suggestion."
-Ramcke

"You would last about an hour in Charlotte before the police were called bc you were walking around outside with a bottle of scotch and a g43."
-Ty O

"I don't appreciate you showing Nazi images. My old lady's granddad died at Auschwitz."
"I'm sorry to hear that..."
"Yeah...he fell off a guard tower."
-You Know How I Get Thomas

Regional Spelling Champoin, 6/6/2012

"Why the hell does it look like you turned into some weird trendy libtard?"
-LooseCannon

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 08:48:49 AM »
nice addition, you do have a cool collection. thanks again for sharing.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 10:55:48 AM »
Oh please, you must get a Pederson device now. You paid your monies, you might as well take your ride  :)

Yeah, you're probably right. Wanna buy the rest of my collection so I can start looking  chuckles1

nice addition, you do have a cool collection. thanks again for sharing.  thumb1

Thanks Carl!

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 02:47:20 PM »

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 05:51:00 PM »
Oh P32...Jimmy likey  drool2...and lookie think1 ...it's even got a Finnish stamped SA barrel on a Springfield Armory receiver :o   What tha....

It's so screwed...quick, send that one to me, I'll hide and secretly enjoy the half breed cretin. ;) rofl2 chuckles1 rofl

So... I guess a Pedersen Device is now in route.. can't wait for the pics on that, never seen one in person, so UPS hunting time I see thumb1

Congrats thumb1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 11:00:35 PM »
Thanks GM...I think  rofl

Yeah right, Finn-marked and the Spanish bomb below that  :o  rofl2

I don't know about the Pedersen Device, Blicero hasn't sent me a check and shipping manifest for my collection...(except the Mosins...saving those for RM)  thumb1

Offline oldcarjunkie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 10:13:05 PM »
Nice rifle. You dont see to many Mark I rifles. I have one that is in great shape. it may have been refurbished. I am not sure.

upload photo

« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 11:04:39 PM by oldcarjunkie »
Come join me on Facebook group..  The Milsurp Nation or Instagram @Milsurp_Nation