Author Topic: Norinco Hunter with type 86 (like Farmer's Friend) scope.  (Read 2555 times)

Offline teddybear1848

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rifleman
Norinco Hunter with type 86 (like Farmer's Friend) scope.
« on: August 20, 2020, 03:13:35 PM »
Picked up a Norinco AK Hunter not to long ago, then managed to find one of the original mounts for it. Ironically it was US made! Also found scope that is pretty much exactly the same as the type 86 scope found on the Farmer's Friend rifle with just some different markings. Ended up looking pretty good I think!

"Is that actually a bucket of cat litter or is it 7.62 Nato?" - My better half.

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Re: Norinco Hunter with type 86 (like Farmer's Friend) scope.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2020, 03:54:45 PM »
Good stuff! Teddy you were in military, correct? If so were you a sniper? You have an affection for scopes it seems. Just wondering. Or do you just live where you can shoot far? I think it's cool, no judgement, just curiosity.

Offline teddybear1848

• Rifleman
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2020, 04:00:35 PM »
No I am not former military, I live in Northeast WI (Hopefully to be up 15 minutes from lake Superior Soon!). Unless you are hunting farmland you can only shoot about 50 yards max before you loose visibility. Having a scope makes it easier to decipher fur from brush and branch though ;)

Im really just drawn to the flavor of obscure and retro scopes/guns from the 50s up till the early 2000s. Couldnt give anyone a good reason why, not even myself haha.

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2020, 04:28:55 PM »
OK, wrong wrong and wrong!  chuckles1

OK, I think its great your into something different. I just thought military was the reason behind it. I know who to contact if I see some off the wall scopes.

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2020, 01:17:51 AM »
Hey Teddy,

Is the Hunter's receiver already drilled and tapped for the mount? I've never held one so, just curious.

Looks really good, btw! The trigger on the Hunter looks so different. Are the internals a lot different than a standard Kalashnikov?

firstchoice

Offline teddybear1848

• Rifleman
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2021, 08:14:58 AM »
Sorry for the late reply. There were two types of Hunters imported back in the day. The ones with a more traditional AKM rear sight came drilled and tapped from the factory. There were two kinds of scope setups. Ironically the mount I have is an American made aftermarket one, while the original one is a cheaper chinsier version of a commercial m14 like scope setup. The other type of hunter imported had the rear sight on the back of the dust cover. The FCG is pretty similar to your standard AKM setup, its position just requires that goofy trigger (designed really to lift up instead of pull).

Offline Steelmonkey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2021, 09:31:34 PM »
Here's a pic of my Hunter showing the scope mount holes. Picked this one up in 2016, $350. Even came with a cheesy Promag.

Offline GilaMonster

• Newber
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2022, 12:03:26 PM »
Looks like you have a familiarity with various AKs and scope mounts. Do you know of any mounts available for Norinko AKs? I have a bubba-gun that is marked Norinko Sporter (but with replacement US-made furniture, not the original wooden thumbhole Sporter stocks) and I wonder if there are any scope mounts available for it...

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2022, 06:54:54 AM »
Hey, well..GilaMonster. Better not go with GM. We already have one of those, and, well...never mind.  chuckles1

As far as the Chinese/Norinco AK scope mounts, are you looking to put a scope rail on the side of the receiver permanently? (I take it there is no rail on yours?) The mount that you have pictured is for the Euro/Commie-style side rail on many AKM's and AK-74 style rifles. I don't believe I've seen an imported Chinese AK that came with a factory scope rail already mounted. A few of the Commercial Chinese AK's like the Norinco Hunter came with them but that was an exception.

Try not to go with the aftermarket scope mount that attach via the Top Cover, etc. You won't have much luck with holding zero or that great of accuracy. If you have a good AK builder close to you and want to have a rail riveted to your MAK-90, that would be your best bet. The mounts are fairly common, although currently many places are out of stock on the good ones.

The style mount I'm referring to, on a WASR 10/63:

There will be others that will have more and better suggestions. Welcome to the board, BTW!

firstchoice

« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 03:48:14 AM by firstchoice »

Offline GilaMonster

• Newber
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2022, 10:41:56 PM »
Thanks for the reply, and the welcome! Yes, I was wondering if there was a way to mount the POSP with the Saiga/VEPR mount on the Norinko.
I guess the answer would be to have bubba attach one of those mounts to the side of the MAK90?

Right now, I am talking with another poster about selling the scope to him...so I guess it is a moot point.