Author Topic: New To Me Chinese SKS  (Read 2216 times)

Offline kansks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
New To Me Chinese SKS
« on: January 09, 2022, 12:39:04 PM »
Hello from Kansas. Got an SKS from Palmetto State Armory back in December. Cleaned it up, did some work to the wood. Looks great compared to how it came.

This is pretty much my first SKS. Had one of those $99 guns back in the 90s. That gun was pristine. But never shot it much and needed money one day and sold it. Dumb but at least I was young.

Glad this knowledge base is out there because I will need some guidance. Most of my shooting has been with an M1 Carbine.

A few questions for the knowledgeable:
What is the best stripper clip and who is the best source?
Any ammo preferences? Is 7.62x39 in stores? Read about the ammo ban from Russia
What is a normal cleaning for this gun after 200 rounds? Do I need to break it down like I did for the cosmo removal? The trigger group was a bear to install and put back
Do they shoot the same with the bayonet on vs off? I have it on

Thanks will report back once I shoot it.

Online Cz315

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Marksman
  • The only way to avoid gun N is to avoid gun N-1
Re: New To Me Chinese SKS
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2022, 02:19:09 PM »
Welcome!

SKS isn’t terribly picky about ammo but you may want to load up on that steel stuff before the ban kicks in.

Personally I don’t do full breakdown for clean up. Bore snake and ballistol bolt and bolt carrier wipes after every session (do not forget the gas tube) and occasional proper bore clean up.

I keep bayo on. Makes little difference in my opinion. This is not a sub MOA gun  :)

For stripper clips make sure you get the surplus type not the cheap commercial Chinese stuff.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 04:59:19 PM by Cz315 »

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2022, 04:38:32 PM »
kansks, Welcome from Kentucky/Colorado!!!  Personally, as far as ammo goes, usually anything normally shoots out of mine to include Yugo M67, Chinese and cheap Russian, corrosive or non-corrosive.  That said, some of the best is Yugo M67, though most is corrosive.  S&G Ammo still has it in bulk, as well as the Russian stuff. 
Yugo strippers are some of the best, and S&G has M67 on strippers.
The Chinese SKS's (as well as most Russian, and all the others except for Yugo) have a chrome plated  bore and chrome plated gas piston, so corrosive ammo isn't quite the big deal, just make sure you clean the rifle, especially the gas tube, after each firing session.
Cheers, Bruce Carnal.

Offline kansks

• Newber
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2022, 04:57:04 PM »
Great info, thanks for the help!

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2022, 05:33:05 PM »
Welcome!

If you shoot corrosively primed (potassium chlorate) ammo like military surplus Yugoslavian M67 (below), then a complete breakdown and cleaning of the gas system with a water based solvent (like water, or water with a few drops of laundry detergent) is warranted. Make sure the front pin is lined up correctly and the safety is on (lever next to the stock) when you insert the trigger group. If those two conditions are met, don't be afraid to smack it sharply to get the rear retention catch to engage.

This ammo* is a good choice for picking up some quality military surplus stripper clips and bonus ammunition. Other good stripper clips are all military surplus options from Russia/Ukraine (ebay), China (trickier because there are a bunch of 31 marked crappy Chinese clips from NC Star in circulation), Czech (bxn marked).

* https://www.sgammo.com/product/surplus-ammo-sale/640-round-ammo-can-762x39-fmj-yugo-surplus-non-magnetic-m67-ammo-stripper-

Offline kansks

• Newber
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2022, 11:43:01 AM »
Thanks for the cleaning tip. I have a Mosin-Nagant and use the Russian surplus and no problems but that is also a very simple gun.

The SKS trigger group installation took me a couple of hours to figure out. Finally hit it really hard with a rubber mallet. I wouldn't hit my other guns that hard (maybe the Mosin). It worked though.

Offline kansks

• Newber
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2022, 11:51:58 AM »
Any recommendations for a sling?

Online Cz315

• Marksman
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2022, 12:14:26 PM »
Any regular milsurp SKS sling would do. Since it's a Chinese SKS, a Chinese sling is appropriate. I think they go $10 + shipping/fees on GB.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2022, 12:16:10 PM »

As close as you will get without finding an actual military stamped used one. (which are more money)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/191259293919?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=493626717712&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2022, 12:19:19 PM »
The SKS trigger group installation took me a couple of hours to figure out. Finally hit it really hard with a rubber mallet. I wouldn't hit my other guns that hard (maybe the Mosin). It worked though.

Make sure the safety is on before installation (safety lever up next to the stock).

Chinese slings can be found quite easily still, though retailers are largely out of them. Green canvas with leather tabs on the ends, or the metal spiral (spring) fasteners. I prefer the leather though they are harder to install initially. Oil them with mink oil or a similar leather product to soften them.

Offline Matchka

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2022, 05:14:00 PM »
I've never, ever had a problem with Czech BXN stripper clips. Hard to find and kinda pricey the last time I checked.

Offline kansks

• Newber
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2022, 04:32:10 PM »
Do you guys recommend those SKS sight adjustment tools for the front site or can it be drifted with a punch like the Mosin sight?

Online Cz315

• Marksman
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2022, 06:34:35 PM »
I only used an old Soviet one, but those are expensive. There are new commercial ones for much less money but I never tried them. I certainly wouldn’t punch it. Hard to get the windage right that way.

Edited for autocorrect typos
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 11:19:44 PM by Cz315 »

Offline Shoot The Refurbs

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2022, 10:21:05 PM »
Highly recommend the adjustment tool, in this instance even the cheapo ones do just fine.  thumb1

Offline kansks

• Newber
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2022, 07:54:08 PM »
Finally got to get out and shoot the SKS after getting it shaped up this winter. It's a good shooter. Very pleased with the gun. Purchased it for $399, Palmetto State Armory.  I cleaned the gun up and the parts matched. The parts were tight and hard to remove. The trigger group was really stubborn to get back in. I think that's a positive, meaning tolerances are still good.

Upon cleanup, the gun did have really nice bluing. The SKS came with cleaning rod. No cleaning kit. There was deep, pitted rust on the rear of the receiver. Cleaned it up and the stock hid the pits. The stock was beat. No cracks but deep gouging and black in color from cosmoline. Ugly but it still had the good bluing so there was something to work with.

Stripped the stock and refinished it in Russian red. Added a sling. Shot it today at 100 yards. Had it resting on my carry bag, which was on a table. 25mph wind. OEM iron sights. Shot 3.25-inch group. Best ammo was Tula. Sighted it in with Tula and then shot Belom brass (Serbia) and Monarch steel. This changed the POI a lot and those didn't seem to group well. Fired 60 rounds and it ran everything, as an SKS should.

Once sighted in, consistently rang an 8-inch steel circle at 100 yards. Fine gun and was fun to clean it up during the winter and get it like I wanted.

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2022, 03:09:10 AM »
Welcome from SW Missouri, kansks!  Glad you're here!

I can hear the collective groan and eye-rolls  ::)  when I say this, but I think your bayo is upside down. It's really up to you when it comes down to it. As-issued, the flat side of the bayo is facing down, away from the stock, when folded. We're so used to seeing the little things I think it's become a type of curse.  chuckles1

You can see how the single ridge on the top side of the bayo fits into the front stock ferrule and lays flat when folded. It seems to be a bit more comfy to the hand when shooting, too.

I like the red color you chose for your stock refinish. You did well on your purchase! Looks good.

firstchoice

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2022, 05:38:46 AM »
Glad to hear that it shoots well and that you enjoyed your old SKS  thumb1 They are fun guns.  :)

I’ve seen the Belom ammo has recently come on the scene but I haven’t tried it or the Monarch. Do you know the grain weight on those bullets, and their shape, boat tail or flat base? Was POI lower or higher vs. the Tulammo?

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2022, 10:47:55 AM »
Nice looking carbine you have there Kansas.  I agree with FC, that red really dresses up that carbine.  thumb1

Offline kansks

• Newber
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2022, 12:10:07 PM »
Welcome from SW Missouri, kansks!  Glad you're here!

I can hear the collective groan and eye-rolls  ::)  when I say this, but I think your bayo is upside down. It's really up to you when it comes down to it. As-issued, the flat side of the bayo is facing down, away from the stock, when folded. We're so used to seeing the little things I think it's become a type of curse.  chuckles1

You can see how the single ridge on the top side of the bayo fits into the front stock ferrule and lays flat when folded. It seems to be a bit more comfy to the hand when shooting, too.

I like the red color you chose for your stock refinish. You did well on your purchase! Looks good.

firstchoice

Thanks for the bayonet tip. Lots of good help on this board. Will check that. Started to take it off but I also think it was brilliant how much stuff is on the rifle and it is still relatively light. The bayonet and cleaning kit are built into the gun and there was no need for magazines.

Offline kansks

• Newber
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2022, 12:25:04 PM »
Glad to hear that it shoots well and that you enjoyed your old SKS  thumb1 They are fun guns.  :)

I’ve seen the Belom ammo has recently come on the scene but I haven’t tried it or the Monarch. Do you know the grain weight on those bullets, and their shape, boat tail or flat base? Was POI lower or higher vs. the Tulammo?

Tula - 122
Belom - 123
Monarch - 123

Bullet shape looks the same to me on all three.

Sighted in with Tula. Switched to Belom, POI moved about 4 inches to 2 o'clock. Same with Monarch.

Heard on a gun radio show yesterday that there's no more US money going to Russia and the Russian is going to dry up faster than previously thought. Ordered some more Tula.

Our local Academy has had Monarch on shelves for over a week.