Author Topic: Well, I Guess it's My Turn.....  (Read 1807 times)

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
Well, I Guess it's My Turn.....
« on: March 29, 2021, 09:15:54 PM »
I bought a neutered Type 56 on Saturday.
I've been wanting to get something to go in that folding stock I bought last year as well as the 20 round star mag.

It's a 20 million /636\ (A).
Somebody got a little too aggressive with the grinder and it's missing the front sling mount as well as the bayo lug.

It currently sits in a Russkie non-laminate stock that's been renumbered a couple of times, but has a handguard to match the last re-arsenal number. There's also a really cool factory splice up front.
I expect that I'll sell off the stock and handguard as this is going to be a truck gun.

I think I'll want to replace the gas block with one that still has a sling swivel, but I have no access to a press, so I might have to learn to live with it. The folder has a rail underneath so I might mount a sling there.

I do have a receiver cover with a scope and a muzzle device.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Re: Well, I Guess it's My Turn.....
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 10:35:46 PM »
What I want to know Larry is, do you even own a truck?? rofl rofl
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 11:44:11 PM »
Well, should you eventually want to replace the gas block...let me know, I have a small pile of them. :)

Offline Larry D.

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 02:34:06 AM »

Nope.

I drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee. An oldie, one with a inline 6.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.

Offline Larry D.

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2021, 02:41:11 AM »
Well, should you eventually want to replace the gas block...let me know, I have a small pile of them. :)

I want to, just don't have access to a press.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2021, 11:21:31 AM »

Nope.

I drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee. An oldie, one with a inline 6.

Well, at least you got something that qualifies to put a 'truck gun' into. thumb1
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2021, 12:08:04 PM »
Did they ever fix the clutches on the Grand Cherokee that were so problematic on the Cherokees?
I had two of those money pits....probably poured well over a grand in brake fluid trying to keep enough in the lines to shift.
Whenever I hear someone start up one of those inline sixes...I wait to see if they get out, pop the hood and bust out with the trusty bottle of vital fluid.
If I ever end up with another, I am gonna drill a hole in the dash, run a direct line to the reservoir and just install a funnel under the rear view.  chuckles1

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2021, 12:26:13 PM »
Did they ever fix the clutches on the Grand Cherokee that were so problematic on the Cherokees?
I had two of those money pits....probably poured well over a grand in brake fluid trying to keep enough in the lines to shift.
Whenever I hear someone start up one of those inline sixes...I wait to see if they get out, pop the hood and bust out with the trusty bottle of vital fluid.
If I ever end up with another, I am gonna drill a hole in the dash, run a direct line to the reservoir and just install a funnel under the rear view.  chuckles1

I remember hydraulic clutches in some cars. I always thought that was the dumbest idea in cars, but in a vehicle designed for off-road capability? Too much jolting and jarring in my book, just stick with linkage.

Offline Larry D.

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2021, 12:29:22 PM »

This is my third Cherokee. My 96 Laredo Sport started having overheating problems, but before I could get it looked at, a guy at work offered me more money for it than I paid. He had wrecked his and wanted mine for the body. SOLD!

My 98 started having quirky electrical issues. For me, that's the kiss of death. Again, a guy at work made me an offer. He had it fixed in less than a week. Jeeps have a problem with wire chafing where the harness goes through the firewall. Again - SOLD! I did have the tranny rebuilt at about 225,000 thousand miles, though

My current one is an 04. No major issues yet. It did have a spook in one of the tail lights that was kind of weird, but I replaced both front and rear buckets with some upgrades and have been fairly pleased so far.

The first two of these vehicles had north of 250k on them, and the current one is a touch over 225k. I'm sorta looking at another 04 that's a  really well cared for one owner with about 100k on it. The guy is moving out of state fairly soon, so it needs to go......... :)

But....none of them have been fluid drinkers. Well, so far anyway.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.

Online echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2021, 01:15:09 PM »

JH I could use a forward gas block for a project. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2021, 01:59:37 PM »

This is my third Cherokee. My 96 Laredo Sport started having overheating problems, but before I could get it looked at, a guy at work offered me more money for it than I paid. He had wrecked his and wanted mine for the body. SOLD!

My 98 started having quirky electrical issues. For me, that's the kiss of death. Again, a guy at work made me an offer. He had it fixed in less than a week. Jeeps have a problem with wire chafing where the harness goes through the firewall. Again - SOLD! I did have the tranny rebuilt at about 225,000 thousand miles, though

My current one is an 04. No major issues yet. It did have a spook in one of the tail lights that was kind of weird, but I replaced both front and rear buckets with some upgrades and have been fairly pleased so far.

The first two of these vehicles had north of 250k on them, and the current one is a touch over 225k. I'm sorta looking at another 04 that's a  really well cared for one owner with about 100k on it. The guy is moving out of state fairly soon, so it needs to go......... :)

But....none of them have been fluid drinkers. Well, so far anyway.

We had one with the firewall wiring conundrum it would stall totally dead whilst doing right hand turns.  That one was a head scratcher for awhile...and amazingly no accidents happened with the total power loss.

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2021, 02:03:13 PM »

I have both regular and a few 45 degree blocks....I bought around 20 of them for trade fodder a couple years ago....along with a bunch of blade stock ferrules.
Both items are so rarely replaced, I figured they would be good for a few folk...and I would have them for a considerable amount of time before rehoming them.  It's been longer than expected to move even one of them....so by all means. Hit me up! :)

Offline Larry D.

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2021, 05:50:40 PM »
Justin -

That stall was my problem as well, but it usually happened during left hand turns when I tried to accelerate.

Maybe we should talk about that gas block. That way if a press should become available, I'll have the part on hand. Shoot me a PM and we'll work it out.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.

Online echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2021, 07:13:41 PM »

Actually, it's the gas block ferrule I'm needing. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798