Author Topic: New SKS Owner - Old Problems  (Read 2604 times)

Offline EmpireTC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
New SKS Owner - Old Problems
« on: March 01, 2021, 08:52:35 PM »
Hello Everyone,

Ive been into milsurps in general for a long time. Mostly bolt action rifles from the WWI to WWII eras and had always been interested in, but never purchased an SKS.
I spent a lot of time on this forum and others as a non-member just researching and trying to uptake as much info as possible.
I decided I would start looking for a Type 45 and recently came across a 1950 Tula which I consider to be a refurb.

Well, once I had the Tula in-hand I realized I had about 100 questions I needed answers to now... So here I am.

My specific reason for being here at the moment though is a refurbed black bayonet without a collet. I realized very fast that the early "straight ear" collet would be a hard find so Im hoping to get some answers.
- Should I be looking for just a collet or would I have a better chance looking for a complete bayonet?
- How rare are these collets on their own and how much should I expect to spend?
- Is there any work-around to stop the droop of the incorrect late collet?

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
Re: New SKS Owner - Old Problems
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 11:38:46 PM »
Empire, Welcome from Kentucky.  I don't have any answers  but glad to have you here.  Someone should chime in to your questions in a few.  Cheers, Bruce.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 11:49:19 PM »
Hey Empire, glad to see you over here as well. Can't really give you any more thoughts than what I already have on the other site, but if I do think of anything I'll let you know.
Great group of knowledgeable guys here so someone may have something I didn't think of.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 08:31:27 AM »
hi TC and welcome. good to have you here.
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline astronut

• This user has decided to end his association with SKSFiles
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Marksman
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 08:54:44 AM »
Welcome to the forum!  Sorry but I dont have any answers to your questions.

Offline EmpireTC

• Newber
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 10:10:09 AM »
Thank you all! Im sure you will see more of me as Im just starting into my SKS obsession

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2021, 10:31:27 AM »
Welcome from Arizona, Empire.

One of the enablers will be along shortly to help to deepen your obsession.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2021, 12:55:42 PM »
Hi Empire, great to have you here. 
I'll provide my 2 cents, though with the craziness in the market these days, I may be off by factor ot 5 quite easily.

- Should I be looking for just a collet or would I have a better chance looking for a complete bayonet?
Looking for a complete bayo is probably your best bet.  Sometimes loose bayo collars are found, but they are few and far between and for a straight eared Russian SKS45 collar from '49 to early '52 you'll pay dearly because 99 chances out of 100 the seller knows he hit gold.

- How rare are these collets on their own and how much should I expect to spend?
Again, '49 to early '52 was the production dates for these so they are not necessarily 'rare', but they are not nearly as common as the slanted slot collars used from mid '52 through '58.  I'd guess you're going to pay $50-$75 for a generic bayo set if the seller doesn't know what he has & you can figure out it's the one you need from photos off eBay or Gunbroker.  If the seller knows what he has, the collar alone might run you $100 by itself and a complete bayo may go $150 to $200.

- Is there any work-around to stop the droop of the incorrect late collet?
You could always swapout the bayo mount to one that would fit a slanted slot collar, but that would irreparably modify the gun.  I've heard of guys tying the bayo shut with light string/dental floss to keep the droop from happening but it always gave me the mental picture of the gun having a toothache.  You may be able to insert a shim between the bayo lug ear and the collar slot, though that might be more trouble than it's worth.
Alternatively, you could remove the bayo and cleaning rod completely if it bothers you while shooting.  Not ideal at all, but w/o the correct part the droop just happens.  dntknw1

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2021, 03:32:56 PM »
Welcome from Washington State!

I think RM did a thorough job covering the options and costs.

Offline Bubbazinetti

• MAGA Patriot
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2021, 06:14:44 PM »
Welcome from N.H.
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2021, 06:41:44 PM »
Welcome from Kali. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2021, 06:50:00 PM »
Welcome from SW Missouri! Post pics of your SKS in the Russian section when you get a chance!

Glad you could join us, EmpireTC!

firstchoice

Offline Matchka

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2021, 10:31:24 AM »
Welcome from another Kali 'prisoner'!

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2021, 12:05:08 PM »
Howdy

Online Cz315

• Marksman
  • The only way to avoid gun N is to avoid gun N-1
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2021, 07:41:55 AM »
Hello and welcome from NY.

I bought some spare parts at an auction that included a straight collar bayo setup. Depending on the condition of your slanted collar we might be able to work out a trade. I'll know more on the condition of the collar once it arrives next week but PM me if you are interested.

Offline EmpireTC

• Newber
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2021, 09:02:35 PM »
Hello and welcome from NY.

I bought some spare parts at an auction that included a straight collar bayo setup. Depending on the condition of your slanted collar we might be able to work out a trade. I'll know more on the condition of the collar once it arrives next week but PM me if you are interested.

I really appreciate that but I may have already secured the correct collet. If you need a slanted collet though, I have no need for the one I have once the straight comes. I can just send you this one if you pay postage.

Online Cz315

• Marksman
  • The only way to avoid gun N is to avoid gun N-1
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2021, 11:10:44 AM »
Thank you, EmpireTC! It'd be much appreciated. I'll send you a PM shortly.

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2021, 11:53:08 AM »

I really appreciate that but I may have already secured the correct collet. If you need a slanted collet though, I have no need for the one I have once the straight comes. I can just send you this one if you pay postage.

Hello Empire and welcome. I disagree with the highlight in red. When you get your 5th, 6th, or 7th SKS one may not have a bayonet.

Offline EmpireTC

• Newber
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2021, 01:48:58 PM »

Hello Empire and welcome. I disagree with the highlight in red. When you get your 5th, 6th, or 7th SKS one may not have a bayonet.

Ha! Normally I would agree but Im kind of maxed out on the amount of space I have for my collection and just recently downsized/decluttered to make room for the 2 SKS' I just got.

Offline High Noon

• Watching the clock.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2021, 02:39:31 PM »
Welcome to the site. 

I'm sure you can get these issues resolved.