Author Topic: Alby interchange ?  (Read 5012 times)

Offline Crazyone

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rifleman
  • This won't hurt a bit!
Alby interchange ?
« on: September 19, 2014, 01:05:42 PM »
I recently got an Alby and kind of like the different style "knob" on the bolt carrier,  I figure that the stock and hand guard plus the magazine, gas piston,op rod wouldn't interchange with a normal SKS  So I guess that leaves only the trigger mechanism and maybe the bolt/bolt carrier, sights as a possible interchange.  That ought to help keep these original !
Give me your poor-your broke-your homeless-Blued & Birch Letter guns and your DDR/Liski's !

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: Alby interchange ?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 02:08:19 PM »
Everything besides the stock and handguard is interchangeable.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 07:46:20 PM »
Are the spike bayos and mounting hardware interchangeable? 

I have seen on Yooper's that they are not, but a scant post here and there says otherwise...although that was for stateside paratrooper creation.  Aside from being slightly shorter than the Chinese, they are four lobed vs. three correct?

I just need a Chinese handle vs. a Yugo for a spike assembled from parts.  I found a place where Chinese and Albanians are the same price, and a black one would be neat...especially if it is potentially going to sit for awhile unused...which either spike would be...I just need the spring and handle.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 08:01:09 PM »
Pretty sure albanian bayo is three sided just like Chinese.  Dont see any reason why it wont work.  I would have to verify when I get home.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 09:15:35 PM »
You might be thinking of the '49 Russian spike Justin. That's the only 4 lobed spike I'm aware of. LC is spot on with the three lobed Alby being very much like a three lobed Chinese. I'm not 100% certain if they are the same length, I think I want to say the Alby is a bit longer but I honestly don't remember. The collar and spring should be interchangeable for certain though.   thumb1

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 11:19:16 PM »
Check this out...hard to tell from the angle...but if you compare what I am looking at vs. Yoopers Russian 49 example...I don't see how it couldn't be four lobed.  Perhaps Desert Fox came up with a cache of 49 bayos, and are selling them for $15?  :o 

It looks a little different, but I want to say it is flash and a slight angle difference.  Maybe I will just order it and hope for the best on the parts I need anyway...perhaps the black bayo will come in handy for a future bubba.  If it is four lobed,  I will make sure to reply. :)

https://www.desertfoxsales.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SKS-046

Yooper John

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 10:40:08 AM »
The collar is angled....  if its original to the bayo,bits albanian.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 12:37:01 PM »
Justin, that is a tri lobed bayo, I think it is rotated almost 90° in the collar as you can't really see the hole very well where it would mount in the bayo lug.  The biggie is the tip though. Albys and Chinese are ground on only one side to make the 'sharp'. 

'49 Russians are ground on two sides like this one:

Which is an obvious holdover from the four lobed M44 bayo:

P.S. you might look at libertytreecollectors.com.  Their alby bayos are $8.99, though they don't come with the spring, collar, and screw.

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 02:25:46 PM »
Sweet, another reason this place is great. :)

I forgot about the straight collar for the Russians of that era, and RM's pics certainly help vs. the tiny ones I see elsewhere, so at least it wont look perpetually upside down.  I think they are just a little bit shorter...and for what I would possibly use it for, that is actually better.

I will keep looking for a deal on a complete one, as I really only need the collar and spring....once you add those to the libertytree price...I might as well get a complete one.

Thanks for the info and help guys! :)