Author Topic: PSA Grade 2 project  (Read 6858 times)

Offline auskip07

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
Re: PSA Grade 2 project
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2020, 07:35:31 PM »
Stock update,   I didnt like how dark it was after applying the first coat of tung  so i took it back to to the cleaning table and got more grime off of it  and sanded it a little to get the grain to show.

Offline auskip07

• Rifleman
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2020, 01:28:28 PM »
I may be stupid  because i have 2 great guns  but i just placed an order for a 3rd SKS from PSA  (non grade 2)   Still working on this one  but thought i would let you guys know.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2020, 02:48:31 PM »
I may be stupid  because i have 2 great guns  but i just placed an order for a 3rd SKS from PSA  (non grade 2)   Still working on this one  but thought i would let you guys know.

I look forward to it!

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2020, 03:28:02 PM »

its tempting to get one from them. looking forward to seeing what you get, good luck.
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2020, 05:14:16 PM »

Can't really go wrong getting another one - Unless you pay the current GunJoker prices.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline auskip07

• Rifleman
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2020, 05:25:24 PM »

Can't really go wrong getting another one - Unless you pay the current GunJoker prices.

Unfortunately they dont seem to ever get cheaper.  and GunJoker prices are way higher than i would like to pay..... plus there is the rush of not knowing what you will get.   

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2020, 05:31:50 PM »

What other Greatguns do you have besides me????  rofl rofl chuckles1 chuckles1 dance2 dance2
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline auskip07

• Rifleman
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2020, 06:13:12 PM »

What other Greatguns do you have besides me????  rofl rofl chuckles1 chuckles1 dance2 dance2

LOL!     well my father in law was a re finisher for redstone arsenal in Huntsville AL  during the time that all the M1 Garands were being sold for $100 a piece.   he has since passed but he did gift me a few guns before.  One being a WW2 production M1.  I think thats my greatest gun.   

Offline auskip07

• Rifleman
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2020, 03:07:07 PM »
This stock is giving me alot of trouble.  i should have it done by now but ive cleaned it 3 times to get the cosmo off.  it just wont absorb any of the tung oil that im putting on it.   i reverted to the easy off to get the remining cosmoline off and there is more too it than that.    Now ive resorted to sanding off the surface (who cares if its a number matching stock ill just carve the numbers back)    My give a **** meter for this stock is pegged.

Offline auskip07

• Rifleman
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2020, 07:53:06 AM »

Close to the finish line,    These parts had close to no bluing on them and some rust so i cleaned them up and applied 4 coats of super blue .   I think they turned out alright.    Before pictures of the receiver are in previous post

Offline auskip07

• Rifleman
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2020, 08:10:31 PM »
Before and after.  I do think its an improvement to the receiver side that had the most rust and pitting.    both pictures taken with the same light and surfaces dry

« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 08:15:11 PM by auskip07 »

owenj492

« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2020, 08:27:14 PM »
Before and after.  I do think its an improvement to the receiver side that had the most rust and pitting.    both pictures taken with the same light and surfaces dry

Did you use that brass brush and oil?

Offline auskip07

• Rifleman
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2020, 08:31:22 PM »
i did,   brass brush and oil loosened up the rust in the pitting.   

owenj492

« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2020, 08:47:53 PM »
That is something I have not tried on my 1992 Sporter, first was Big Frontier 45 metal cleaner with oil, and then 320 grit sandpaper with oil, I'll have to purchase brass brushes for my resto-project.

Offline auskip07

• Rifleman
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2020, 08:51:24 PM »
That is something I have not tried on my 1992 Sporter, first was Big Frontier 45 metal cleaner with oil, and then 320 grit sandpaper with oil, I'll have to purchase brass brushes for my resto-project.

Do you have pictures of the progress in your thread?   I would like to see how that turns out.   I know it was in rough shape

owenj492

« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2020, 09:18:12 AM »
None since I last posted those pictures, hopefully I can do some work today and this weekend.

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2020, 12:32:04 AM »
Just an aside; when you use oven cleaner, you have to have a good bathtub or sink also to scrub and rinse the wood.  Also, use protective gloves.  Spray the cleaner on, use a soft bristle scrub brush on the stock to remove the old finish and the cosmoline, then thoroughly rinse the stock off until all of the oven cleaner is gone.  Make sure you have removed ALL metal parts before you apply oven cleaner.  Once done and dried, use "0" or "00" steel wool to take the raised grain down.  If you want, you can apply a stain to bring back the original color and then oil and seal the wood.  I use boiled linseed, while others prefer tung oil. 

Offline auskip07

• Rifleman
« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2020, 08:26:10 AM »
Just an aside; when you use oven cleaner, you have to have a good bathtub or sink also to scrub and rinse the wood.  Also, use protective gloves.  Spray the cleaner on, use a soft bristle scrub brush on the stock to remove the old finish and the cosmoline, then thoroughly rinse the stock off until all of the oven cleaner is gone.  Make sure you have removed ALL metal parts before you apply oven cleaner.  Once done and dried, use "0" or "00" steel wool to take the raised grain down.  If you want, you can apply a stain to bring back the original color and then oil and seal the wood.  I use boiled linseed, while others prefer tung oil.

Ive done a few of these and this stock is different  i did 3 stages of cleaning that didnt get all the gunk out of the stock (i think it was something else besides cosmoline)   i resorted to having to sand a few parts to get rid of the oily finish.  this stock isnt accepting the tung oil like the rest i have refurbished.   

Offline auskip07

• Rifleman
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2020, 12:13:37 PM »
assembled it looks really good.  The quality of stock work was above and beyond the albanian restock with the exampled i have at hand.   but i do prefer the beech wood to this.    The metal looks good since most of the pitting is hidden and the rebluing matches with the few touchups but when you go forward on the gun the original bluing isnt as strong.  (maybe a project for another time)

owenj492

« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2020, 12:18:43 PM »
Awesome pictures, has that real "been there, done that" look!   thumb1