Author Topic: 1925 Izhevsk  (Read 1122 times)

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
1925 Izhevsk
« on: August 24, 2022, 11:21:44 PM »

I stopped at the LGS on Tuesday afternoon and actually found a military surplus rifle in the used/consignment racks for the first time in 2022  :o (in fact, the first time since October 2021). The thrill of the hunt  banana time I looked at the tag expecting it to be $400-500, but it was much less banana time ...so it came home with me. I call it Running Mosin   thumb1 :) chuckles1

This Mosin is merely 97 years old and started life as an M91 Dragoon made at Factory #10 of the Supreme Soviet of the National Economy in Izhevsk. It was updated to M91/30 configuration in 1931 or later, but the precise year of conversion cannot be determined. This is actually my first M91/30 with a matching bayonet (matched during refurbishment). It fits very snugly and it can be put on and taken off with only gentle (by Soviet standards) application of a hammer ;)

The open box refurbishment marking that overlaps the Izhevsk bow and arrow logo on the barrel indicates it was refurbished at Arsenal No. 7 in Riga, Latvia. The fonts match on the refurbished bolt, floorplate, buttplate and bayonet, and are clearly different from the original 1925 Izhevsk font on the barrel. The post war stock (solid pressed in sling escutcheons) and hot salts bath dip bluing (black), as well as that refurbishment mark indicate a post-WWII refurbishment.

I highly recommend Alex's (Ratnik) site:
https://www.m9130.info/manufacturers-and-production-number

Online Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: 1925 Izhevsk
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2022, 12:56:44 AM »
 rockon Uhmmm Mosin drool2  Yeah.. it also had to be refurbed before 1950..it's still got a spike bayonet..  rofl rofl2 chuckles1  whistle12

A Dragoon no less.... nice..  thumb1

Wait till Chief Running Mosin....I mean RunningMan sees that.. rofl2  I still think we should do a Go Fund Me for the little guy... all these years of putting up with us.. Like a grand appreciation uber SKS data nerd award... I mean he might look like a Chihuahua with a German Schwerer Gustav strapped to his shoulder at the range, but hey... it's the thought that counts.. thumb1

Ok.. take back everything thats lost in the mail as you say.. just send me that, I'll let the rest slide and we're even  thumb1 :)
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2022, 09:50:19 AM »
Holy moly, did you have to set the camera to panoramic mode to snap that first picture?  That's one loooong Mosin.  I have my entire collection photographed too:

GM's sentiments are *cough* touching bat1, but alas I'm unable to use a Mosin Nagant due to my *ahem* small stature!

Offline Cz315

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Marksman
  • The only way to avoid gun N is to avoid gun N-1
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2022, 02:58:56 PM »
Nice rifle and a good deal these days  thumb1 always liked those paddles  rofl

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2022, 03:19:50 PM »
rockon Uhmmm Mosin drool2  Yeah.. it also had to be refurbed before 1950..it's still got a spike bayonet..  rofl rofl2 chuckles1  whistle12

A Dragoon no less.... nice..  thumb1

Wait till Chief Running Mosin....I mean RunningMan sees that.. rofl2  I still think we should do a Go Fund Me for the little guy... all these years of putting up with us.. Like a grand appreciation uber SKS data nerd award... I mean he might look like a Chihuahua with a German Schwerer Gustav strapped to his shoulder at the range, but hey... it's the thought that counts.. thumb1

Ok.. take back everything thats lost in the mail as you say.. just send me that, I'll let the rest slide and we're even  thumb1 :)

rofl Thanks GM!

It's on its way  thumb1 fart1

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2022, 03:26:31 PM »
Holy moly, did you have to set the camera to panoramic mode to snap that first picture?  That's one loooong Mosin.  I have my entire collection photographed too:

GM's sentiments are *cough* touching bat1, but alas I'm unable to use a Mosin Nagant due to my *ahem* small stature!

chuckles1 Indeed, panoramic mode would not have been an unreasonable choice for that 5'6" rifle plus bayonet length, but I was able to get it all in by merely backing up a bit with my 18-135mm lens.

Hmm, your Mosin collection bears a strong morphological resemblance to boat oars  think1 ...oh, wait, I get it  silly1  :))

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2022, 03:42:48 PM »
Nice rifle and a good deal these days  thumb1 always liked those paddles  rofl

Thanks Cz, yup, ended up being $272.59 cash price. A glance at GunBroker completed sales and I figure I could easily get about $200 more these days, so it was a no-brainer despite needing another M91/30 about as much as RM needs another oar in the water  :o  rofl

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2022, 04:48:44 PM »
Nice haul, Jon!! thumb1  Same batch that my remaining three Dragoons were part of.  I've got a 21, 25 and 28 left.  All of them still in cosmo and, like yours, serialed bayos.  I did a hand pick on mine and got the ones with pre-war stocks.  It'd be nice to know what year they did the re-furb. 

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2022, 09:54:17 PM »
Nice haul, Jon!! thumb1  Same batch that my remaining three Dragoons were part of.  I've got a 21, 25 and 28 left.  All of them still in cosmo and, like yours, serialed bayos.  I did a hand pick on mine and got the ones with pre-war stocks.  It'd be nice to know what year they did the re-furb.

Thanks Bruce!

Sounds like you have a nice trio. I do prefer those pre-war stocks  thumb1

I think this is actually my only ex-dragoon M91/30, so it fills that slot. 3 SCWs, 1 SA marked in a Finnish pot belly stock, and 4 or 5 WWII era, including my PU.

Online Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2022, 10:30:19 PM »
Almost makes me want to dig out an oar and send a few down.. just for that pleasing thump.. :)

RM keeps saying must be this high to ride... all he needs is a Polish Wz48..  A Mosin in 22lr.. that way the mighty round of Mother Russia doesn't knock him over.. thumb1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem