Author Topic: Slightly odd duck SKS  (Read 626 times)

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Slightly odd duck SKS
« on: November 21, 2023, 03:19:25 PM »
I acquired a Chinese SKS I thought you guys might like discussing. It has a w9300 SN on the receiver, FCG, mag, BCG, but the receiver cover is scrubbed and the stock is unnumbered. It is a long collar and looks to be a letter gun (late '60/early '61?). Is it a re-arsenaled unit that was done right before the ban kicked in? It's a CJA import so not a Sino-Banian IIRC. Stock is definitely a replacement and incorrect for the receiver. If memory serves, it should have a side sling swivel blade cutout stock.
Anyway here's the pics below.

RM, is this in the database?

« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 03:23:39 PM by Greatguns »
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
Re: Slightly odd duck SKS
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2023, 01:44:58 AM »
Looks nice Alan, good candidate for some evil doings. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2023, 09:12:23 AM »

I can't do that Wayne, I just put a bayonet on it,  rofl rofl
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2023, 11:09:54 AM »
Interesting. Appears to be an early import refurbished 1959-60 letter gun, as you?ve surmised. Long lug barrel, lightening cuts on the rsb and bayonet lug. Is the front ferrule notched for a spike bayonet or blade? If the former, apparently they changed that out during refurbishment. If not, that points toward some American owner installing the incorrect spike stock.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2023, 04:45:41 PM »
Neat one Alan!  thumb1

I have three other W prefixed letter guns in the database, and at least two of them have the little W's like yours shows.  I think the receiver markings are original & not scrubbed & renumbered despite them being a bit ragged looking.  I think your right in that the gun was rufurbed prior to being imported.   That dull, rough looking finish on the front gas block, receiver cover, magazine, and trigger group all scream that the carbine was stripped and reblued to me.  Also the intact bayo lug certainly indicates a pre '92 import. 

The stock certainly looks out of place on a letter gun, but it's servicable and works.  You going to keep it as-is or is PAX on to something with his comment?  chuckles1

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2023, 08:34:17 PM »

I can't do that Wayne, I just put a bayonet on it,  rofl rofl

Needn't be permanent, PAX
  You need a crew  

But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2023, 09:19:25 AM »
Ferrule is V notched for a blade.
If I can find the correct stock and bayonet I would keep it intact. Not sure which would be better, correct stock and bayonet, but mismatched or, as is. Either way I would leave it alone given the early SN date. OR....I post it up here and on Calguns and Wayne can have at it, LOL. (I WILL SHIP TO CA) :)

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2023, 10:00:19 AM »
I can quit anytime ...I can...how much?  :) PAX
  You need a crew  

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2023, 01:42:39 PM »

Boy...  :o If that ain't the biggest lie I've ever seen typed here on the Files... On a holiday no less..... That almost ranks up in the lying liar status...  Better go to church before lightening strikes and starts more Cali forest fires...  thumb1

chuckles1 rofl2
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2023, 10:45:11 AM »
So, if a liar is lying does that mean he?s telling the truth? Kind of like two wrongs make a right type thing? :) dance2

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2023, 11:15:12 AM »
Naw man.. it's not a double negative. It's that's the worst kind, especially on that subject. You know how many times I've uttered them same words..  you know how many crack heads have uttered those words.. he first has to admit and accept he's an addict, own it, then plan a course of action for his rehab and go thru the steps...  Sauce it up...make it believable...

rofl rofl2  rofl chuckles1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2023, 01:23:48 AM »

Boy...  :o If that ain't the biggest lie I've ever seen typed here on the Files... On a holiday no less..... That almost ranks up in the lying liar status...  Better go to church before lightening strikes and starts more Cali forest fires...  thumb1

chuckles1 rofl2

I do have a KSI Paratrooper (of course) waiting in Kali 10 gay jail  8) delayed by the DOJ for another 30 days  >:( , and I let another Para slip through my hands waiting on a numbers response when the guy behind me said I'll take it. PAX
  You need a crew